Need advice from experienced mule deer guys

I'm in the process of deciding the destination for this years mule deer "chase", so far it's been more chasing than hunting 🤣 Last year was my first year pursuing them and it took me some bouncing around 2 units but I finally found an area in September that had a fair amount of deer. HOWEVER, every single deer was a bald one. I saw over 35 deer and never laid eyes on antlers. Is it possible there just arent many bucks there or was there something I could have missed? I am thinking of going there this year for rifle season in hopes that bucks will be visible in rut with all the does, I just cant fathom not many bucks being around. Not to mention, I saw no other hunters in 7 days 😁 Were the bucks possibly higher in elevation than the does? What are your opinions? Advice? Thanks fellas

BFR

WKR
Kinda hard to answer without knowing where you were. You only saw 35 deer in 7 days? I expect to see at least that many every day, but then I’m spoiled.

If you dont want to mention your unit thats fine but look up and see what the buck to doe ratio is for that area, if available, it should tell you if 35 does and no bucks is likely. Also if you saw no bucks maybe thats why you saw no hunters either.

bdg848

WKR
My trip to Idaho I did not see a single deer until I went down to the million dollar homesteads and there were dozens in their yards. I saw a fair amount of elk though.

BFR

WKR
What Lone Hunter said, they’ll be in little groups usually. They tend to stay away from the does while in velvet unless it’s a little spike or forkie. I’ve never hunted Idaho but will this year for rifle in mid October.
From what you read on here if you aren’t seeing other hunters you’re in the wrong place. If there’s animals it’s crowded with hunters too. Guess I’ll find out come Oct.

Example 1000 of many Idaho herds struggling right now. Serious winterkill in many areas from the winter of 2016-2017. A bad winter last year.

In a prominent unit in Eastern Idaho they recently measured buck/doe ratios at 12/100.

You also could have just been too low in elevation. But if you weren’t then you’re experiencing the weak buck numbers right now.

Feel free to PM me and I can share whether I’d move units or just adjust slightly where you were. I’m pretty familiar with most of the units south of the Main Salmon Breaks.