Need advice , my pup is getting aggressive ..

CRJR45

WKR
Pup is 26 months old , so not really a pup I guess . But lately he is growling at me over his treats . I gave him a rib bone and went to take it away as it was splintering and he put his head down over it and started a low growl . When I leave him I put him in the porch and give him a dentastix and a couple biscuits , and now he is getting the same way , low guttural growl and lowering his head .
More importantly , he was watching the wife prepare to cook and had drool coming from his mouth , she went to wipe it off with a paper towel and he snapped at her , biting the towel , not her .
He has access to his food 24/7 and gets a lot of attention when I'm home .
I've had dogs all my life and never experienced this , how do I handle this ?

KurtR

WKR
What kind of dog? Access to food 24/7 has to stop. He has to sit and wait till you tell him it’s ok to eat. No more treats. Is his obedience a 100%. This is where I would start with a lab or a retriever. You have a pointy eared dogs or something with more genetic drive to bite you might need professional help.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
What kind of dog? Access to food 24/7 has to stop. He has to sit and wait till you tell him it’s ok to eat. No more treats. Is his obedience a 100%. This is where I would start with a lab or a retriever. You have a pointy eared dogs or something with more genetic drive to bite you might need professional help.
Weimaraner , and he minds great . When we eat popcorn I put some in his bowl and make him sit till I say ok , then he lets out one "WOOF" and heads for the bowl .
I walk him off his leash and he minds great , if he goes out to far I say "Far enough " and he turns back immediately , points birds till I say OK , then flushes them .
Only thing is he is deliberate , he thinks about the dumb stuff . When I tell him to lay down he takes his time , but does it .
IMG_2936.jpg

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Personally Ida beaten the tar out of him at the first growl. I won't tolerate an aggressive dog. If he had snapped at my wife, might have been the end of it.

Is he still intact? If you want to keep him around as a pet you might castrate and see if it improves.
Yes , he is still intact and that is going to be addressed . More worried about the grandkids .

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Personally Ida beaten the tar out of him at the first growl. I won't tolerate an aggressive dog. If he had snapped at my wife, might have been the end of it.

Is he still intact? If you want to keep him around as a pet you might castrate and see if it improves.
The first time it happened I did , boxed his ears and kicked him in the ass . But I'm afraid that will just make it worse ??

Yes , he is still intact and that is going to be addressed . More worried about the grandkids .

Here's the thing, in most situations in a home, an aggressive dog will end up being put down. Unfortunately it will be after an incident that hurts someone.

You need to get control of it immediately.

You don't reason with a dog, you can't explain things to them. Sometimes it takes more than harsh words.

Control the situations until you have control over him. He is testing the waters to see who he can control.

The first time it happened I did , boxed his ears and kicked him in the ass . But I'm afraid that will just make it worse ??

To some extent an aggressive dog is an aggressive dog. And he will find who he can get away with it with.

I know one hundred percent if it's not corrected it will get worse.

A kick in his ass might not have been enough.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Here's the thing, in most situations in a home, an aggressive dog will end up being put down. Unfortunately it will be after an incident that hurts someone.

You need to get control of it immediately.

You don't reason with a dog, you can't explain things to them. Sometimes it takes more than harsh words.

Control the situations until you have control over him. He is testing the waters to see who he can control.
Thats the thing right there , me getting bit is one thing , him biting my grandkids , or the thought of it , scares me .

I'd really be careful with the punishment of that behavior, at that dogs age it would likely just make it worse. I would stop feeding 24/7, have set meal times where he has to sit and wait for his food until you tell him ok. Hang close to his food bowl while he eats, make him eat the biscuits or treats out of your hand. Getting him cut might help as well, I hope you can get a handle on it, as billy goat said, some dogs are just aggressive and the older they get the worse it'll get. I had some aggression issues out of my doberman but it was at a younger age and easier to address.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm with @Billy Goat, that dog needs to know he is not the boss immediately. I have never personally had a dog be aggressive with people, but my dogs have had an extremely healthy respect for me from the time they were little. Once they get big it is very hard to address and generally takes more violence than most people will doll out. Good luck.

KurtR

WKR
Cutting his nuts off will do nothing to cure the problem. Old wives tale.

I don’t think going right to level 10 is always the answer.

Cesar Millian has some good books on good aggressive dogs.

You go the match aggression with aggression you only have one shot it either works or it does not and are you prepared to take it to a level higher than the dog.

If you have a pro trainer who has weims or know one I would call and talk to them. Getting advice from people who have had their hands on hundreds or even thousands of dogs is better than people who have had 5 dogs their whole life I’m including my self in the few dogs people.

NB7

WKR
To some extent an aggressive dog is an aggressive dog. And he will find who he can get away with it with.

I know one hundred percent if it's not corrected it will get worse.

Truer words have not been spoken.
And if he gets away with it on a full size human, bet your a$$ he's gonna do it on a pint-sized one.

Every dog is different. Some you only need to raise your voice to, some are hard headed and only understand a heavy hand.

I'm with @KurtR in quickly seeking out help from a local professional.

I have never used a dog trainer, have my 1 bird dog, trained over a dozen border collies, and not just basic, but true herding dogs. Each dog is different, needs to be handled a little differently, but this is going to quickly be over your head I think.

I have a 6yr old Weim and he will sometimes give me a little growl when I take away a chew like a Bully Stick. He is a giant baby otherwise. He sits to be fed. Usually with special treats like fruit or veggies I have to put it in his mouth as he isn't sure if he should take it. His normal dog treats he knows are his and he takes them with enthusiasm and my hand can get in the way. I try to give him treats in a closed fist so he has to think about getting it before he just bites at it. He doesn't get scraps from my plate. We usually board him using a few in home people, one with kids, and they always tell me how great he is with the kids and other dogs/cats. That little growl he does with the good chews is the only time he ever acts off. He does let me take it away though.

We have had Weims for 3 generations. I got my first 45 years ago. We have had a couple that act like I described above. Never had one bite anyone. I am not a trainer but if it were me I would take away the food. Control treats. Stop any begging, make him go lay down when you are in the kitchen. Any growls would be met with a firm grab to his scruff and a pin to the ground.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
I'd really be careful with the punishment of that behavior, at that dogs age it would likely just make it worse. I would stop feeding 24/7, have set meal times where he has to sit and wait for his food until you tell him ok. Hang close to his food bowl while he eats, make him eat the biscuits or treats out of your hand. Getting him cut might help as well, I hope you can get a handle on it, as billy goat said, some dogs are just aggressive and the older they get the worse it'll get. I had some aggression issues out of my doberman but it was at a younger age and easier to address.
I agree , I had a Pit years ago and he didn't care after a couple ass whoopings , thought it was just part of our routine . Smart dog , real smart , but just didn't care if he got his ass beat .

On matching aggression, yes.

You need to be ready. I have had a good 10 minute roll around in the field with a guard dog. The one was a handful, then the old one got confused and came over, thought he was gonna join in, but didn't.

I won, and it worked.
But I felt it for a while.

S.Clancy

WKR
On matching aggression, yes.

You need to be ready. I have had a good 10 minute roll around in the field with a guard dog. The one was a handful, then the old one got confused and came over, thought he was gonna join in, but didn't.

I won, and it worked.
But I felt it for a while.
We got a "free ad" chocolate lab that was already a year or year and a half old when I was in my late teens/early 20's. That dog and I had a similar tussle, I remember laying on my back with him in a chokehold until he figured out the gig was up. I don't think that dog ever saw me as the true alpha, more as an equal who could really scrap. But he was a great dog, great nose, and very friendly. But, if you were another dog and either got by his food or otherwise crossed him...God help you.

I agree , I had a Pit years ago and he didn't care after a couple ass whoopings , thought it was just part of our routine . Smart dog , real smart , but just didn't care if he got his ass beat .

What's the background of Pit's?

They are raised to fight, it's same reason a retriever wants something in their mouth, or how a herding dog runs a loop instead of straight at something.