Need help choosing muzzle device...

Hey all,

I'm considering a ~13.7" 5.56 pistol build. I am not sure what I want to put on the end of it. I know this topic has been discussed many times, but there are always new products, new perspectives to consider.

I don't want something that will blast the shooter or others. Recoil on a 5.56 is not a concern for me. So I'm not really looking at a brake.

I'd like to find something that nicely balances compensation and flash suppression. Something along the lines of a Warcomp... (but maybe not $150 bucks!)

What have you used? What works for you? What strikes the best balance between flash hider and compensator?

JiminAZ

FNG
Honestly a plain old A2 flash hider will do a lot for you in mitigating the fireball. They are very good at dissipating the hot incandescing gasses and are very inexpensive.

Unless you are in competition or something the muzzle rise of a 556 is minimal.

Anything "brake" or "comp" is going to be more offensive to everyone. If it diverts gasses to the side it'll be loud. I just hate being near a short barrelled 556 with a brake or comp on it.

I run suppressors so the warcomp you mention is what I run. But I prefer the non comp model.

OP
R
Yeah I thought about rolling with an A2 or maybe a 3-prong.

Anyone use the KAC 3-prong?

Honestly a plain old A2 flash hider will do a lot for you in mitigating the fireball. They are very good at dissipating the hot incandescing gasses and are very inexpensive.

Unless you are in competition or something the muzzle rise of a 556 is minimal.

Anything "brake" or "comp" is going to be more offensive to everyone. If it diverts gasses to the side it'll be loud. I just hate being near a short barrelled 556 with a brake or comp on it.

I run suppressors so the warcomp you mention is what I run. But I prefer the non comp model.
+1 If you look at any Flash Hider Shootouts (TAG has a couple), the A2 always comes in near the top. Almost all others are longer and heavier than an A2, and that is the worst place for weight. Buy a handful, I think of them as thread protectors.