Need help fast- rain gear

hodgeman

WKR
Helly Hanson.... not breathable, pretty light, very durable (for rain gear at any rate), 100% waterproof.

I do own the Chugach but in retrospect I don't like it as well as Helly's....probably in the minority on that point.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Ok. I just tested again. The only thing leaking is the zipper fly. It is leaking at the bottom where the two sides of the zipper join and only when facing the shower head(direct impingement on the fly). I am convinced at this point that these garments are not going to leaking in rain. At this point I am going to go ahead and wear them on my trip and report back when it's over. Thanks for all the advice. If anyone has any questions about the Cloudburst or would like me to try any other test let me know.

dotman

WKR
Have you tried to seam seal the zippers etc? Ya you shouldn't have to but could be a quick easy fix.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I did the shower test with cold water on my REI Kimtah. I think I will try it with warm water next.

Wives all over america shaking heads at the grown men playing in the shower :) I couldnt resist. Off to the shower now......

dotman

WKR
Too funny Jeff, my wife shakes her head at me daily and has stopped asking what i'm up to, lol.

I have Marmot precip bottoms and a Marmot Oracle jacket for general backpacking. Both work great and have zips for ventilation. I have Kuiu Chugach for hunting.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I think the noise is on par with other rain gear. I have not seam sealed. I'm going to give it a shot in the mountains and see how they perform. I'll report back.

OR Archer

WKR
Ive been using the UA Stealth rain jacket and pants the last two seasons. Love that stuff. Light weight and packable. Breathability is good with the venting system it has. Even in wet western Oregon Ive yet to get wet while wearing it.