Need Help- Hiking with a Bunion

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
I went shed hunting last weekend and afterwards my right foot was really painful. It lasted for several days. I've got a bump protruding on the inside of my foot and from everything I've read, I'm pretty sure its a bunion. I've had pain there off and on in the past but nothing like this last time. The boots I was wearing were Kenetrek Mountain Extremes (medium width). I don't have any issues with the left foot.

From what I've read, the only options for treating a bunion are wearing wider footwear or getting surgery. I'd like to exhaust all other options before getting surgery. Has anyone had to deal with this before? I could get a wider boot but the back of my foot isn't wide, so I'm afraid a wide boot wouldn't fit correctly on the rest of my foot. Would custom insoles help with this sort of thing? Does anyone have recommendations for a different boot?

I also saw that there's places that can work the problem area on the boot to stretch the leather and make a little pocket for the bunion. I live in Montana and I would be all for trying that but I don't know of anywhere that does it. I would be willing to send them somewhere if I could find a place that does it. It sounds like this is tough to do with boots that have a rubber rand like my Kenetreks, so I might have to try some different boots before this is even an option.

I hate going to the gym and get most of my exercise through hiking so its a really frustrating situation to be in. If anyone can offer up any advice I'd really appreciate it!

tdot

WKR
Bunions suck, and you are smart to avoid the surgery. I only know a couple people who've had them and while an improvement they all had ongoing pain post surgery.

I have a huge forefoot and a tiny heel. I've found that certain Scarpa's have been the best fit for me. Their new lasts have been really good. The ARG last and the BZ last have worked for my foot.

Unfortunately many wide boots have wide heels. So it is definitely a process of elimination. You need to try them on.

Some shops have the ability to punch leather. It's even possible to buy presses that you can stretch it at home with. But if there is a rubber rand at your bunion, that typically doesnt stretch well.

The other option is to buy approach shoes with a soft portion over top of the bunion. This is the most often used technique that I turn to. My foot can then just stretch the shoe without pain.

Good luck. Its really not that bad once you figure out what will work for you.