Need Help With My Packing List

Hey guys, first post here, although I have been reading a ton on this forum. I am a avid hunter around where I live and a cabin we have about 5 hours away. I live in Ontario, Canada so we normally hunt Whitetail, Moose, Black Bears and coyotes. Normally its a hunt where every night we make it back to a cabin or even my house. So long term planning for a hunt is not really needed. And all my far out back country hunts are normally within 5-10 miles of my truck. So realistically I am packing a 48 hour bag at the most and even that is being generous. I have done some travel for hunting but all have been lodges, cabins etc.

Well I was planning on going to Africa this year, but that got scrapped due to the Shanghai Shivers. So I figured I would look to hunt within Canada this year. I booked my first Northern BC Mountain goat and Moose hunt. I will be hunting in early September and literally can't wait to go. Being this is my first time where I need to survive 10 days in a backpack, I wanted some of the guys who have done this before to critic my list. I learned about Lighterpack on here so I have attached my list below. I feel like I got everything I think I would need, let me know if you suggest anything. Or if you think I have doubled up on anything. Also I left a couple spots with ??????? Those are the few items I have not bought yet, so suggestions would be nice. The headlamps I probably have 178 of those, but all cheap ones I grabbed here and there. I was thinking something with a rechargeable battery might make more sense, thoughts?

I read about some guys claim to weight in there pack, and I am scratching my head how that is at all possible. Being this is a guided hunt I do not need to worry about cooking supplies, or tents. I am sure I will have to carry my food, but I have not accounted for that either. And I already am at like 45lbs, mind you I counted my water bottles as if they are full of water. Tell me where I am going wrong here.

And yes I know I am a huge Kuiu fan boy so don't laugh when you look at my list. Its almost all kuiu lol.

Apollo117

WKR
I'm not familiar with the weather in that area, but you seem to have a lot of cold weather gear for early September. You'll have to make the decision on how much cold weather clothing to pack.

Here's my critique:

*Ditch the pack cover for a contractor trash bag or a poncho.
*Is that the lightest sleeping bag you have?
*Only need two pairs of boxers
*Only need one beanie
*3 pairs of socks
*Do you need two sets of bottom layers?
*Probably only need 12 or fewer rounds of ammo
*Drop the deodorant. It won't work anyways. Use a baby wipe each night.
*Yes to trekking poles
*Yes to headlamp
*Is the wristwatch and charger necessary?
*External battery is huge for 10 days. 10,000mA is fine for a Pixel.
*Does the guide have a GPS communicator?
*Do you need a spotter and binos? In wide open terrain spotter might be necessary, but if the guide has one then use his.
*Only need half the amount of baby wipes.
*Add some Leukotape.

I may have forgotten some things. I think you really need to evaluate each item. To give you some perspective, my base weight for seven days in Colorado was about 22 pounds. Add 15 pounds for water and food for a total of about 37.

Disclosure, a lot of my gear is very lightweight hiking gear from through hiking.

bsnedeker

WKR
List looks good. I think you're probably overdoing it on clothes, but I've never hunted Canada so I don't know about that!

I would only take one mid-layer instead of the two you have listed. I would only take one beanie (the cold-weather one). I think you could ditch the DCS jacket and pants, you already have base, mid, puffy, and hardshell so I'm not seeing the need for those things.

I would take more game bags unless this is a guided situation where they are going to take care of your animals for you. I would probably only take 10 rounds of ammo instead of 20.

As far as headlamps and sissy sticks I use Black Diamond for both. I just use the regular batteries in my headlamp as I have enough stuff to charge already with my phone, watch, and inreach and the Energizer Lithium batteries are crazy light. I like the Carbon Cork BD sticks, been using them for 5 years and they are still rock-solid.

OP
Longrangehunter
The guide is telling me to be prepared for daily highs of 10C (50F) max and night time lows of -15C (5F)

OP
Longrangehunter
List looks good. I think you're probably overdoing it on clothes, but I've never hunted Canada so I don't know about that!

I would only take one mid-layer instead of the two you have listed. I would only take one beanie (the cold-weather one). I think you could ditch the DCS jacket and pants, you already have base, mid, puffy, and hardshell so I'm not seeing the need for those things.

I would take more game bags unless this is a guided situation where they are going to take care of your animals for you. I would probably only take 10 rounds of ammo instead of 20.

As far as headlamps and sissy sticks I use Black Diamond for both. I just use the regular batteries in my headlamp as I have enough stuff to charge already with my phone, watch, and inreach and the Energizer Lithium batteries are crazy light. I like the Carbon Cork BD sticks, been using them for 5 years and they are still rock-solid.

So I have 2 base layer bottom and tops. I am like shaq at the foul line when it comes to sweating. I will need to have a switch of shirts when hiking. And the second paid of bottoms are out of respect of my camp mates lol. I am going to kill someone with my smell if I don't at least change once. I plan on washing on the mountain but again will need a second pair. So I truly can't compromise on those.

Bottoms I don't wear anything on top of my base layer other then my DCS pants. Again I run warm so I don't bother with insulated bottoms. And then I do have a rain pant, I think will be needed up there as its known to get wet. The DCS are water resistant but not sure they will hold up to total downpours. I have worn them before on rainy days and ended up a little soggy underneath.

Tops I had two mid layers, I could drop one of these I suppose. The Guide DCS jacket is a breathable jacket if its cold and windy when climbing or in the bush. Again rain coat when needed. The insulated jacket is really just for sitting and glassing. This jacket can not be worn when moving you will pass out. So I was thinking the DCS would be used any time it was cold but I was moving. I guess I could use my rain gear though at all times instead of the DCS set is that what you are suggesting?

bsnedeker

WKR
I run hot as well. In November here in MT it gets to the temps you're talking about. When hiking I wear a FL wick and a Sitka heavyweight hoody and that's it. When I stop I put on my puffy and maybe my rain jacket if it's really windy. I'm cold as soon as I take off my puffy, but I heat up quick as soon as I start hiking. I didn't coin the phrase, but I live by "Be bold, start cold!"

For pants I usually have on a pair of long-johns and my pants, then I have a pair of puffy pants I wear when I'm glassing, and again, maybe my rain pants if it's really cold. This gets me down to zero degrees with no problems, but I will say that I don't sit still for very long that time of year so if you're going to be doing a lot of glassing from ridgelines for long stretches of time the extra stuff might be good.

As far as smell, well, you're going to stink. Everyone does. If you're hunting partners are worried about your smell I think you need to find new hunting partners!

Items to rethink:

- DCS Guide Jacket and Pant. These are fleece lined and not really a great layering piece, especially since you sweat a lot. I would consider the Attack and/or Pro pant. For an outer layer jacket I would look at something like the Peloton 240 Full zip hoodie. It has a wind resistant layer but is lightweight enough that you can layer with it. If you get cold you put your Super down ultra jacket in and then your rain jacket.

- Yukon Rain jacket and pants. Way overkill. I ran the Chugach in my Alaskan moose/ black bear hunt. It’s more than what you’ll need. You can even go w/ the Kutana if you wish but I prefer the Chugach.

- Sleeping bag is heavy. Something to reconsider replacing

- Dump the spotter & tripod. Guide will have one (verify to make sure he does)

- Dump the Kestrel

- Dump the deodorant

Those are the biggest things I see.

OP
Longrangehunter
I already own all the kuiu gear so I was using what I have. This was not a shopping list. If the Yukon is heavy. Could I just replace the DC's pants and use the Yukon pant instead.

I already own all the kuiu gear so I was using what I have. This was not a shopping list. If the Yukon is heavy. Could I just replace the DC's pants and use the Yukon pant instead.

Have you ever hiked long distances with either of the DSC jacket/pants or the Yukon rain gear? You can manage in the DSC stuff over fairly level terrain or minimal elevation changes. Probably would be ok for your moose hunt, unless you have to wear hippies or waders then you’ll for sure sweat to death.

Next question is have you ever climbed a mountain in either of these? A goat hunt would be rough in full DSC gear IMO. But in Yukon rain gear I doubt you get far. It simply does not breathe.

If that’s what you have then you run what you got, but IMO there are better options for a 10 day Alaskan mountain hunt. I absolutely love my DSC jacket. However, it’s use is solely used for glassing/still hunting. When I went to Alaska it didn’t make the trip.

Jimbob

WKR
12 ozs of baby wipes? dry these out before, just take them out of the pack and they will dry right out. You can add water when you're out there.

What are the game bags for? you only have 1 of each, I'm sure the guide has this covered

Water storage, I'm sure the guide has a filter. I use a bladder and Gatorade bottle. Ounces add up

Solar charger and battery is heavy

Your gun is a pretty heavy set up for a mountain hunt

sleeping bag is heavy

Your clothes are really adding up.

Your spotter is very heavy for a goat/moose hunt. I understand carry the big ones on sheep hunts to count rings. Your guide will have a spotter and determine billy size and legal moose, your spotter if just for something to do. Over 5.5lbs is major weight juts for "fun glassing"

Need more details about the hunt though. I am assuming this is NOT a true backpack hunt. I am guessing you will be staying in a horse camp or some kind of base camp. So bringing the extra clothes shouldn't be a problem, you could leave them in camp if not needed?

It should be an awesome hunt. I moved out here from Ontario and the hunting just doesn't even compare.

OP
Longrangehunter
Have you ever hiked long distances with either of the DSC jacket/pants or the Yukon rain gear? You can manage in the DSC stuff over fairly level terrain or minimal elevation changes. Probably would be ok for your moose hunt, unless you have to wear hippies or waders then you’ll for sure sweat to death.

Next question is have you ever climbed a mountain in either of these? A goat hunt would be rough in full DSC gear IMO. But in Yukon rain gear I doubt you get far. It simply does not breathe.

If that’s what you have then you run what you got, but IMO there are better options for a 10 day Alaskan mountain hunt. I absolutely love my DSC jacket. However, it’s use is solely used for glassing/still hunting. When I went to Alaska it didn’t make the trip.

Oh hell ya. I've put a ton of miles on both. Mind you all my hunting is in cold weather. Where I live here our first season opens in October and at that point 32F is considered a warm day. We are usually well below freezing.

But I have worn both garments in other parts of the world. I was on the eastern cape of South Africa 2 years ago in August (this is there January). And up at 7500ft where we hunted kudu mostly was always around the freezing mark with brutal wind. I actually had snow in Africa. I know crazy thought right. But even then I loved my guide suit. I utilize the vents a lot when needed. This hunt had some decent climbing as well. Probably nothing like I'll experience on this BC hunt of course.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Sleeping bag is heavy. Layer your clothes as you need in sleeping bag to go in with a lighter set up. The Taiga Wildcat A50 is rated at -35C..... Holy cow man. In freedom units, that's 31 degrees below 0 (Fahrenheit).

I see you're carrying multiples of the same layers. I'd just go with one. Multiple beanie and gloves? I'd go one each.

Agree with others that you need to see if the guide is bringing spotter. If so, drop yours ASAP.

Drop kestrel.

Go lighter on the wipes.

20 rounds? My experience with Goats is they generally don't need cover fire before you start hitting them.

Seems you're going to need more game bags. My experience with Goat is to treat it as if it's a Deer in regards to meat bags. If you tip a moose over, you're gonna need a lot more.

Your water system is really heavy. Look at a Sawyer mini or squeeze and use as gravity filter. Your Nalgene is heavy, go with 4 Smart water bottles for significant savings.

Drop the solar panel. You'll be good with that battery if you use your phone lightly.

Back to your clothes. You're carrying a crap ton of layers. As some have said and I believe myself, people tend to pack their fears. You're carrying layers to not offend your hunting partners and be warm. I think you can shave weight here and still be warm. Screw em if you stink. It's your hunt after all.

I'd be curious to hear about the camp setup and how close to your hunting grounds you will be camped. That might change some of this stuff.

OP
Longrangehunter
Sleeping bag is heavy. Layer your clothes as you need in sleeping bag to go in with a lighter set up. The Taiga Wildcat A50 is rated at -35C..... Holy cow man. In freedom units, that's 31 degrees below 0 (Fahrenheit).

I see you're carrying multiples of the same layers. I'd just go with one. Multiple beanie and gloves? I'd go one each.

Agree with others that you need to see if the guide is bringing spotter. If so, drop yours ASAP.

Drop kestrel.

Go lighter on the wipes.

20 rounds? My experience with Goats is they generally don't need cover fire before you start hitting them.

Seems you're going to need more game bags. My experience with Goat is to treat it as if it's a Deer in regards to meat bags. If you tip a moose over, you're gonna need a lot more.

Your water system is really heavy. Look at a Sawyer mini or squeeze and use as gravity filter. Your Nalgene is heavy, go with 4 Smart water bottles for significant savings.

Drop the solar panel. You'll be good with that battery if you use your phone lightly.

Back to your clothes. You're carrying a crap ton of layers. As some have said and I believe myself, people tend to pack their fears. You're carrying layers to not offend your hunting partners and be warm. I think you can shave weight here and still be warm. Screw em if you stink. It's your hunt after all.

I'd be curious to hear about the camp setup and how close to your hunting grounds you will be camped. That might change some of this stuff.
I am going to respond to yours one by one as I loved the comments lol.

Sleeping bag.... Ya I'm sleeping in boxers when it's snowing outside. That's how I roll lol. I know some guys use lighter bags but wear clothes when sleeping. I would rather get Covid 19 then sleep with clothes on lol.

Yes I need to relook at the layers. Seems like your all saying the same thing for that. I'm used to just having extra clothes. I need to drop that.

Ya ill take less wipes.

Ya I realistically was not going to take so many bullets. I'll cut that in half. I always like to have some extra. In case I get there and my scope is off or something crazy happens. But even so I shouldn't need more then 10 rounds for sighting in and moose and goat.

Game bags are not overly necessary. The guide will have them. I just have s couple.

Those water systems were including being full of water. The bottles themselves weigh very little.

The battery pack is the solar panel. It's like a large cellphone and the back of it is a panel. It's great for my watch, phone/camera and inreach.

We have a base camp where we will be flying in to. The guide told me of the 10 days to expect 7-8 to be in a spike camp. So I'm planning to be living out of a pack for a majority of the hunt.

If that is the case with the base camp, take the whole box of ammo just in case as you said, you have scope issues, but only take what you need into the field.
Also seems like you can take a little more clothes if you aren’t certain and then make the decision once in base camp what to take in the field. Your guide should do a thorough pack shake down before you head out. Only issue with taking “extra” is if there is a weight requirement for the plane for all of your gear to ge it to base camp. That will change things if so.

Jimbob

WKR
I don't think you want to save weight ha ha. You have justified just about every heavy item.

When you want to save weight you have to count ounces. Your Nalgene bottle weighs 6 ozs my platypus soft bottle weighs 1 ounce, your bottle is not light.

Also, don't bring pointless items, why carry two random game bags when your guide will have them?

For ammo, I would bring 20 for sure but you don't need to walk around with 20 on you.

At the end of the day who cares what anyone says about your kit, If you want to bring it then bring it. This should be an awesome hunt.

Who are you going with?