need some advice on a personal heating system i.e. electric coat, etc

jon5500

FNG
Hi, First time poster here. I am not a hunter, but after a brief google search for layered clothing and forum, this was the first forum that showed up. I thought I would post my inquires here as I know hunters have to often sit in stands and outdoors for extended periods, which relates to my working conditions. So, perhaps you can help me, and here goes:

I work in a stationary environment (meaning very little movement all day for up to 12 hours) and at this time of year, the indoor temperatures range from 47-52 F. For the last three years, I have used zonal heating which consisted of a 1500 watt electric heater which has compensated the temperature somewhat, but to get it to a comfortable level (at least 70 F) meant running the heater too much and a higher electric bill. So, this year, I wanted to try something different.

I made an electric coat. I used wire designed for the purpose and sewed the wire into what I thought was a fleece hooded jacket I have here that was cheap. It showed promise and warmed me up, but I often started feeling clammy as if I were sweating. I would check under the coat for sweat and moisture and not find any, but it was still an issue. Then I looked at the "fleece" jacket tag to see 60% cotton and 40% poly and, after a little research, found out that the jacket is trapping and holding moisture, due to the high cotton content, when the heater wires are warm and this is why I'm uncomfortable. Thus, I don't see my homemade contraption working very well unless I change out coats for maybe something that is totally fleece (100% poly). However....

Some kind souls, knowing that I blew my budget on the electric coat because the wire and power supplies were costly, gifted me $300 for Christmas this year. So, I have another chance. Here are what I see as my options:

1) Buy a jacket that is totally fleece and use my remaining wire to make a new electric jacket. The issue here is that I will need another layer over the jacket to help hold in any heat generated which would mean an additional fleece jacket. Problem: Since this is an untested system, I don't know if this will work. Would I still end up feeling clammy after a while, or would the real fleece wick any any moisture?

2) Buy an actual electric jacket. I was looking at something like this one since it was rated #1 on a website out of many jackets tested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=049d850cc84722bcfbdbde8b1c993a5e&th=1

(If the link doesn't work, it's called "ORORO Men's Soft Shell Heated Jacket with Detachable Hood and Battery Pack" on Amazon.)

100% poly, described as "breathable", good reviews.... but am I going to end up feeling clammy as with my system, or is the jacket design going to prevent this?

3) My final thought is an un-powered layering system and more like what hunters and hikers use. The recommendations appear to be a polyester or "meurio wool" base layer shirt and pants, then followed by two additional layers. This is my most risky option and the most expensive one really. Risky because I've never dressed this way in my life and am therefore unsure even after purchasing all the layers required whether or not it would work over a 12 hour+ period of sitting stationary. And there are so many options to choose from as far as each layer is concerned that it is almost overwhelming. If this option is addressed, please share the more inexpensive yet working options I have.

As I said, with the $300, I have one other chance to get this right, otherwise I would have to wait until next year.

Your thoughts and suggestions on the above would be welcome including any links to specific clothing or guidelines that may be helpful.

Thank you!

OP
J

jon5500

FNG
Ok, just as a first follow up, here is what I was looking at as a base layer along with pants. Both fairly expensive, but then again premium or somewhat premium. I normally wear XL clothes and they say true to size so I am assuming XL in these as well(?) Although it looks like the shirt can be returned freely, that doesn't appear to be the case for the pants so might look into another brand for those.

Again, I'm in 47-55 F for 12 hour shifts basically not moving around. My research shows that some folks only have to wear the above at such temperatures with no additional layers, so would welcome some input. In addition, was looking at this as the next layer and if I can find pants of the same type of 100% fleece. Question here is whether or not I'd need to size up to XXL since fitting over the base layer above?

Taking a wild guess, I'm going to assume that the above two layers might be enough for the environment I'm in, but would welcome any thoughts.

I want to order this within the next couple of days, so any thoughts/ suggestions welcome.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm subscribing to follow along as this whole thing seems a bit off.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

H80Hunter

WKR
I’m not totally sure why you’d need heated clothing at 50 degrees. If that’s the case, I’d still just buy the Pnuma heated vest and like 3 additional batteries and call it a day.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Milwaukee heated softshell, uses their m12 batteries. Go on Amazon and search “Milwaukee compatible batteries” I got two of the smallest capacity m12 batteries for $26.

please don’t make your own heated clothing, sounds dangerous.

Maverick1

WKR
Hi, First time poster here. I am not a hunter, but after a brief google search for layered clothing and forum, this was the first forum that showed up. I thought I would post my inquires here as I know hunters have to often sit in stands and outdoors for extended periods, which relates to my working conditions. So, perhaps you can help me, and here goes:

I work in a stationary environment (meaning very little movement all day for up to 12 hours) and at this time of year, the indoor temperatures range from 47-52 F. For the last three years, I have used zonal heating which consisted of a 1500 watt electric heater which has compensated the temperature somewhat, but to get it to a comfortable level (at least 70 F) meant running the heater too much and a higher electric bill. So, this year, I wanted to try something different.

I made an electric coat. I used wire designed for the purpose and sewed the wire into what I thought was a fleece hooded jacket I have here that was cheap. It showed promise and warmed me up, but I often started feeling clammy as if I were sweating. I would check under the coat for sweat and moisture and not find any, but it was still an issue. Then I looked at the "fleece" jacket tag to see 60% cotton and 40% poly and, after a little research, found out that the jacket is trapping and holding moisture, due to the high cotton content, when the heater wires are warm and this is why I'm uncomfortable. Thus, I don't see my homemade contraption working very well unless I change out coats for maybe something that is totally fleece (100% poly). However....

Some kind souls, knowing that I blew my budget on the electric coat because the wire and power supplies were costly, gifted me $300 for Christmas this year. So, I have another chance. Here are what I see as my options:

1) Buy a jacket that is totally fleece and use my remaining wire to make a new electric jacket. The issue here is that I will need another layer over the jacket to help hold in any heat generated which would mean an additional fleece jacket. Problem: Since this is an untested system, I don't know if this will work. Would I still end up feeling clammy after a while, or would the real fleece wick any any moisture?

2) Buy an actual electric jacket. I was looking at something like this one since it was rated #1 on a website out of many jackets tested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=049d850cc84722bcfbdbde8b1c993a5e&th=1

(If the link doesn't work, it's called "ORORO Men's Soft Shell Heated Jacket with Detachable Hood and Battery Pack" on Amazon.)

100% poly, described as "breathable", good reviews.... but am I going to end up feeling clammy as with my system, or is the jacket design going to prevent this?

3) My final thought is an un-powered layering system and more like what hunters and hikers use. The recommendations appear to be a polyester or "meurio wool" base layer shirt and pants, then followed by two additional layers. This is my most risky option and the most expensive one really. Risky because I've never dressed this way in my life and am therefore unsure even after purchasing all the layers required whether or not it would work over a 12 hour+ period of sitting stationary. And there are so many options to choose from as far as each layer is concerned that it is almost overwhelming. If this option is addressed, please share the more inexpensive yet working options I have.

As I said, with the $300, I have one other chance to get this right, otherwise I would have to wait until next year.

Your thoughts and suggestions on the above would be welcome including any links to specific clothing or guidelines that may be helpful.

Thank you!
Would you mind sharing the materials and information regarding the electric coat you made?

Thanks!

OP
J

jon5500

FNG
Would you mind sharing the materials and information regarding the electric coat you made?

Thanks!
It's pretty complicated and I'd probably have to start a new thread! I already have an electronics background, so used some equations to come up with the wire length, thickness, and wattage. At 12V, it produces 80 watts. It has overload/ short circuit protection and is double fused. The wire is Teflon insulated in order not to melt from the high temps. I can vary the input power so that I can go all the way down to 10 watts if I want to. I sewed the wire into the fleece coat. Or so I thought it was fleece. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the tag until later but the coat is a fleece blend and not pure fleece. Being 60% cotton and 40% poly, any sweating I'm doing is trapped within the coat making me feel clammy and uncomfortable.

I have enough wire to start over with a new coat, but it was a lot of work and since I was gifted some spare cash, was seeking out an alternative.

I really like the idea of the layers system. I was talking to a military man earlier and he said, depending on temperature, they will dress in up to 7 layers, but all their clothing is custom made. I see bikers all the time, even during colder times of the year like now, wearing only what looks like a base layer which is what attracted me to the non-powered idea this time around. I read that the Merino wool base was supposed to be the warmest and wicks away well, so I thought I would maybe start with that. The temperature won't fall below 48 F throughout the winter, but still 12 hours of just sitting in that will still need decent clothing layers, which is why I turned here.

With Covid and an already strapped economy, the business took a hit which is why I am trying to steer away from the small electric heater this year.

47-52° isn‘t very cold, but everyone is different.

If you want some real warmth, just get a puffy jacket- either synthetic fill or down.
For example- You can find Eddie Bauer down jackets for cheap. Especially if you have an EB outlet.

Or just go to REI or a similar outdoor store and try on some different puffy jackets & fleece jackets to get a feel for warmth.

There’s also workwear, like Carhartt jackets if you want something heavier & burlier. The Carhartt Sierra jacket is a staple in workwear.
I’ve had one for 10 years, great jacket.

Another option is a set of merino wool baselayers(long johns). Look for some in the 250g weight range.
They resist stink and funk so you don’t have to wash them as frequently as old school cotton thermals.
Some good brands are Minus 33, First Lite and Smartwool, amongst others.

Also- keeping your head warm will go a long way in staying warm. Get a warm beanie hat.
A $10 military wool beanie/watch cap works great.

A warm jacket, a wool beanie, wool socks and a pair of merino baselayer pants should keep you plenty warm.
No need to bring electricity into the equation.

Last edited:
OP
J

jon5500

FNG
47-52° isn‘t very cold, but everyone is different.

If you want some real warmth, just get a puffy jacket- either synthetic fill or down.
For example- You can find Eddie Bauer down jackets for cheap. Especially if you have an EB outlet.

Or just go to REI or a similar outdoor store and try on some different puffy jackets & fleece to get a feel for warmth.

There’s also workwear, like Carhartt jackets if you want something heavier & burlier. The Carhartt Sierra jacket is a staple in workwear.

Another option is a set of merino wool baselayers(long johns). Look for some in the 250g weight range.
They resist stink and funk so you don’t have to wash them as frequently as old school cotton thermals.

Also- keeping your head warm will go a long way in staying warm. Get a warm beanie hat.
A $10 military wool beanie/watch cap works great.

Thanks. Well, I've already been using puffy jackets, although not the name brand type. You'll probably laugh, but one is Faded Glory and is 100% poly. I have used that with up to three standard sweatshirts underneath on occasion, but still end up getting cold after six hours or so. That particular jacket isn't good at breathing and so any sweat forming within the sweatshirts (also not good at wicking) just makes me colder faster. As an experiment, I placed the Faded Glory over my fake fleece electric jacket and began to sweat heavily after just 10 min of moderate heating.

I actually do have a Carhartt one piece hunting uniform. I'm not sure of the type, but it is not the green camo but orange and black instead and really stands out. Problem is that it's heavy and insulates me even less well than the jacket/ sweatshirt method above. I do know they have different, better more customized jackets and might look into those.

The merino wool base I linked to above is 250g. I'm nearly set on trying a set of those and the pants I linked to using a true fleece coat and pants as second layers. Not sure whether I'd need to go beyond that second layer or not.

I will look into a proper hat too. My feet are often cold, but I do have 80% wool socks I'm going to soon bring out if I go with the merino base layers.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Well, I've already been using puffy jackets, although not the name brand type. You'll probably laugh, but one is Faded Glory and is 100% poly. I have used that with up to three standard sweatshirts underneath on occasion, but still end up getting cold after six hours or so. That particular jacket isn't good at breathing and so any sweat forming within the sweatshirts (also not good at wicking) just makes me colder faster. As an experiment, I placed the Faded Glory over my fake fleece electric jacket and began to sweat heavily after just 10 min of moderate heating.

I actually do have a Carhartt one piece hunting uniform. I'm not sure of the type, but it is not the green camo but orange and black instead and really stands out. Problem is that it's heavy and insulates me even less well than the jacket/ sweatshirt method above. I do know they have different, better more customized jackets and might look into those.

The merino wool base I linked to above is 250g. I'm nearly set on trying a set of those and the pants I linked to using a true fleece coat and pants as second layers. Not sure whether I'd need to go beyond that second layer or not.

I will look into a proper hat too. My feet are often cold, but I do have 80% wool socks I'm going to soon bring out if I go with the merino base layers.
You should read up more on the science behind a layer system. Your sweatshirts are probably cotton which you already know holds moisture. Wearing that under a puffy without venting is just creating a sauna effect.

I won’t laugh, but that’s not a proper insulated jacket amigo. Get yourself one that has good insulation such a primaloft, Primaloft gold, core loft, Etc.
Or down.

Like i said- go to an outdoor store and try some reputable brands on, wear them while shopping around the store. Talk to the people who work there as well.
Good insulated jackets and fleece are miles ahead of what you’ll find in Walmart, in both warmth and breathability.

H80Hunter

WKR
Just buy the Pnuma heated vest and throw it under a light cheap puffy. Down if it makes sense, otherwise something more sturdy and throw something over to protect it. If that won't keep you warm at 50 degrees my next stop would be the doctors office.

2ski

WKR
I would do more than just heavy socks. I'd get some insulated boots and merino socks. For me at that temp, I would throw on a wool or down vest and see how that keeps you warm. Lightweight gloves and if you really want to stay warm and you're not moving around buy some Danner Pronghorns of a higher insulation(I would never recommend Pronghorns, but he doesn't need them to stay together for a hike or be Waterproof).

Keeping hands, feet, and head warm are your keys.

Is your work environment really damp? Like are you working in a cave or mine?

Your diy jacket sounds really cool. I agree with the posts above merino wool less washing needs to be done. Can you wear a hat? Really any hat should help if you can wear one, if you can't wear one over the ears because of ear protection then even a ball cap will help.

Since you are sitting down make sure your pants and long sleeves are long enough that they don't ride up causing a gap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
J

jon5500

FNG
Is your work environment really damp? Like are you working in a cave or mine?

Your diy jacket sounds really cool. I agree with the posts above merino wool less washing needs to be done. Can you wear a hat? Really any hat should help if you can wear one, if you can't wear one over the ears because of ear protection then even a ball cap will help.

Since you are sitting down make sure your pants and long sleeves are long enough that they don't ride up causing a gap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not particularly damp, no. It has humidity that normally matches whatever it is outdoors which, this time of the year, averages 50% or so.

Thanks. I also have a similar electric blanket at home. I grew up with a Sunbeam electric blanket which lasted from when I was about ten all the way until I left for college. I tried to find that blanket again about 5 years ago, but it had been tossed out. Today's Sunbeam blankets usually don't last one season. My own design uses wiring like they use and is fused & short circuit protected. It has variable adjustment from about 5 to 110 watts. Originally, I tried an Ebay heavy duty Chinese dimmer to vary output, but it caught fire so use my own variable power supply. I don't trust the Chinese stuff in general because none of it is UL listed and tested it out thoroughly before trying to use it at bedtime. Good thing I did.

I was fortunate today to find in some closets I haven't looked in for several years, several real fleece jackets. And they are name brand ones. Not sure when I got them, but they were there. I'm currently trying one of the fleece jackets over top of my electric jacket. So far so good and heating appears to be a lot more uniform than with the fake fleece one. Also, instead of wearing a heavy cotton tshirt like I normally do, I found my synthetic one and I am wearing it today.

Today, I ordered the Minus 33 medium weight merino shit, pants, and hat. Not cheap, but will soon see how it does. I held off on any coats because I want to see if the fleece pants and jacket over the wool will be enough. The base layers were $175 with free returns so I felt I had nothing to lose. That leaves $125 more for a coat if it becomes necessary. I already had merino socks here and have those on now.

Today, I ordered the Minus 33 medium weight merino shit, pants, and hat. Not cheap, but will soon see how it does. I held off on any coats because I want to see if the fleece pants and jacket over the wool will be enough. The base layers were $175 with free returns so I felt I had nothing to lose. That leaves $125 more for a coat if it becomes necessary. I already had merino socks here and have those on now.

Well done on the minus 33 merino, they make great stuff. I pretty much live in mine during hunting season, going on 4 years and still have no signs of wear.

OP
J

jon5500

FNG
Ok, so the cold has let up a bit for the weekend, allow me to once again use my electric fake fleece jacket along with a light denim jacket thrown over top. The wattage only has to be set at about 25 watts under these conditions and will do fine all day. For some reason, when temps are 60 F or more in the room, I can use this and never experience the "wet" feeling. Only happens when the room temperatures drop into the upper 40's to mid 50's. Anyway....

Along with the minus 33 base layers, I found and ordered this jacket which has down. Apparently on sale due to apparent zipper issues (it has a double zipper), but my cheap winter coat has a double zipper too, so I know how to use them. With the amount of down that the jacket has, I thought I would take the chance and, again, returnable if it doesn't work out. I know down jackets can be a bit on the fragile side, but I'm mostly sitting at the computer for the shift.

I have some familiarity with down. I have one bed in the house that has double stacked down comforters with a high fill power. With the double stacking, it can be in the low 40's in the house and you don't know it under those blankets. I managed to find both blankets used, and long before the Covid pandemic.

Well, this week will be a good first test for the base layers and/or jacket. It's supposed to be bitterly cold by mid-week and that will mean that my work room will drop into the upper 40's and it will be cold. Keeping my fingers crossed that this system will work.

OP
J

jon5500

FNG
The REI down jacket arrived today and it seems to be quite warm. It may be all that I need for my shift! Only one issue: it smells! Purchased it brand new, not used. The smell is not that strong, but noticeable especially indoors like I am. Is this normal and will it wear off? Thanks.