Need some help choosing a Tikka T3

colonel00

WKR
I know there are a ton of threads out there and I have been reading as many as I can. However, it seems that in most situations the final decision is particular to each unique individual. So, please fire away with any opinions for my situation.

Currently I am really leaning towards picking up a Tikka for a lightweight mountain rifle. I would like something that will work well for deer, elk, black bear, caribou and sheep (God willing should I ever win the lottery or move to Alaska). Currently I have a .243 WSSM and a 300 Win Mag which have served well. The .243 is great for deer and anything smaller and is pretty small and light. The .300WM is a Model 70 which is fine for more sedentary hunts but I would rather not lug that thing up a mountain or through tundra.

So, as mentioned, I am looking to pick up a good, all around caliber in a Tikka T3 Lite. Initially I was thinking about a .270 or .308 as those fill the gap in what I have a little. Then of course I start reading more and see lots of suggestions for the 7mm Mag or 300WSM or 270WSM. My first concern is with the lighter rifle handling the larger magnum loads. Obviously ammo availability and longevity are a concern as I don't handload (at this point at least). This again would seem to point towards the .270, .308 or the 7mm.

Overall, here is what I tentatively have planned for the next couple of years where the rifle will see service. Next year I am taking my father up to Alaska and I will be trying to get him a caribou. Should that not work out, we could always try to use the tag on a black bear if necessary. I am also planning to get out to Wyoming to hunt some mulies but may get a draw on a good elk unit. The following year I will probably be back to Wyoming or another western state for muley and/or elk and/or pronghorn as well as another Alaska trip but not sure if or what will be hunted.

So, Rokslidians, as I type this I find myself leaning towards either the .308 due to ammo cost and availability as well as tried and true performance or the 7 mag with its speed, range and trajectory. Thoughts?

Last edited:

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I'll vote for the 308. Bet you get some votes for the 7-08 coming soon. The 308 will get you into a shorter action and save a few ounces and ammo availability is generally pretty good. With the "scare", 308s are one of the hot cartridges. Just my opinion.

WKR
I am thinking the Tikkas are all full length actions with spacers. That said, and sounds like a non reloader, I'd go either 30-06 or 270.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Now, I am not opposed to reloading, just haven't gotten into it as of yet. My hunting opportunities are somewhat limited so a box of factory ammo lasts a long time with only a hunt or maybe two a year. That said, I have thought about getting setup to reload as that is a no brainer if I plan to keep the .243 WSSM. I have read of some fun loads to try with it. I also have some buddies who each reload so I could always get dies if they don't have them already for whatever caliber I choose.

The other thing I was thinking about is my buddy I hunt with most often has a 7mm Mag that he likes and he took it out last year for caribou. It seems to make sense to maybe have the same caliber so we could split the costs of reloading materials should we want to go that route.

Shrek

WKR
Yes , tikkas are all long actions. I'm a 7-08 fan so yes I would recommend it but the 308 is great too. A Kimber Montana in 308 win or 7-08 rem is where I would look. Nothing wrong with a Tikka but its foreign manufactur and all the plastic and the detachable box magazine to be lost. Most Tikkas shoot great except for the ones that don't.... If you want what the Tikka should be then get the Sako .
In the mix with what you already have a 280 ai would fit perfectly also. I think the Montana is chambered in it and the model 48 Nosler rifle .
If you don't hand load I recommend starting. Putting together premium components and tuning the loads to your rifle makes a big difference and saves a bunch of money in the long run.
Of what you propose I would get the 308 win. If you have any doubts of its effectiveness then check out Luke Moffit mowing them down with one or Patrick Smiths rambling rifle. The 308 is very efficient so you get about as much performance as a 30-06 out of the 308. If I only had one rifle to hunt everything on earth with then I would be comfortable carrying a light compact rifle in 308 win. You would have to be very careful hunting dangerous game but the 308 win will get the job done.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I like the 280s also. Didn't think about the long action issue. With that in mind and ammo availability concerns, the 308, 30-06, 270 or 7mm may be the best options. All will kill what you want to hunt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Jimbob

WKR
Just purchased a t3 in 30-06. My Dad shoots a 30-06, I use to shoot a 7mm rem mag, my bro shoots a .308 and my other bro shots a .270. All of our guns have killed moose and deer and bear. When i sold my 7 mm I went with the 30-06 because I just couldn't think of a reason not to.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I have a T3 lite in 270WSM and have killed several elk and other critters with it. It sounds like the 270WSM may not be your caliber choice but I wanted to answer your recoil question. I don't like to shoot guns with a lot of recoil. Having said that, I could shoot my tikka as many times as I want and enjoy it. It has very light kick for a gun throwing a 140 grain bullet at 3200 fps. Overall, I love this rifle.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For your use, I would get the T3 in 7mm mag. IMO that is one of the most versatile calibers available. It will do all the things you are planning, and do them very well.

Get a stainless T3 light and don't look back.

Put my vote down for the 7mm mag. I'm in a similar boat - one universal light weight rifle for everything. Always had good luck with availability of the round, only a buck or so more than 30-06 for a box, and plenty of loads to choose from.

The T3 lite stainless is next on my list, so I can't yet speak to it's feel. I'll tell you, though, that my Savage 7mm mag kicks like a mule. I can feel my shoulder the next day after 5 or 6 rounds. And a couple oz heavier than the T3.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Thanks for all of the input. I think I am pretty much settled on the 7 Mag unless I come across a deal on a .308 that I just can't pass up. Yeah, stainless is a must. I am not overly concerned with recoil and I have seen the suggestion of the limbsaver pad.

Now I just need to settle on a scope....

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 BRH from cameralandny . I sure like mine :).

Mind if I borrow it for a year or two to test it out :D As much as I would love one, might be a bit out of my budget this time around.

Shrek

WKR
I got a demo for $850. What is your budget ? There are a lot of good scopes on the market in all kinds of price ranges.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Oh, probably $400-500 for now if that. This rifle isn't absolute priority for the upcoming trips so I would like to focus funds on other upgrades I need like a better spotter, outfitting my father for his caribou trip, kifaru pack, etc. Should I find a good deal or stumble upon some extra funds then I will move it up the priority list but if I can get up and running for under a grand then I think I could make it work.

Shrek

WKR
Look at cameralandny's deal of the day for june 7th. 3.5-10x50 z800 conquest for $499. I looked at this deal long and hard and would have been happy with it. The z800 is made to match up well with the 7mm rem mag and as long as you are not dialing the conquest is a great scope. It's a set it and use the reticle scope , dial traking is not its strong point.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all of the input. I think I am pretty much settled on the 7 Mag unless I come across a deal on a .308 that I just can't pass up. Yeah, stainless is a must. I am not overly concerned with recoil and I have seen the suggestion of the limbsaver pad.

Now I just need to settle on a scope....

I think a perfect scope for that gun is the Leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 and they aren't too expensive.

The other scopes I would look at would be Vortex. They are making some really great scopes and at good prices.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Good call on the 7 RM. I've had T3s in 22/250,25/06 30/06,300 WSM, 338 WM and 7 RM. The 7 Remmy is just friggin amazing. Pleasant to shoot. Put just about anything under 1/2 MOA ,and 150gr through 175gr in the same 1 & 1/2" bull at 100yds. This particular T3 will one hole 160gr A-Bonds and Speer Mag Tips over 7828. 175s over Retumbo is a sweet combination as well. I've been considering a Swaro Z3 for it myself. Looked at a VX6 last Sunday. Very nice but out of your budget. Mine too,lol. If you have a $500 glass budget,the VXII or VXIII Leupolds are a great scope. My B-in-Law just bought a VXII 4X-12X on my sugestion. I have 4 of them here and for right around $500 it's hard to beat.