Need Some Sleep System Guidance

Howdy y’all,

I’ll be backpack hunting 1st rifle elk in Colorado around 9.5k-10.5k feet in elevation. I currently have an older Neo Air Xlite (r=4.2) and a relatively new WM Terralite 25F bag. Staying in an older 2P Nemo 3 Season tent.

My question is, do y’all think this is adequate for the varying weather during that time of year? I’ve seen it in the negatives all the way to 80°F during the first rifle the last 4 years. One thought I had was to upgrade to the new Neo XTherm (r=7.3) and wear layers if it gets cold enough. Anyone have any insight? Just hoping I don’t need to bring a heavier bag.

Any guidance would be great.

Thanks!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I tried the X-lite in July one summer in the high country and froze on it with my 0 degree quilt. Sold it in a hurry and got the Xtherm. The Xtherm has been fine.

Upgrade the pad, and take a bag liner. Might not need the liner but if you do you will be glad you have it. Light enough to carry if you don’t need it, but if it is super warm you could sleep in it and not the bag itself.

No way would I show up with that gear, maybe the tent, it's high quality just not rated for what you'll likely encounter. I'd be looking for a 7+ pad and a minimum 15 degree down bag, probably a 0-10 is what I would recommend. Last fall where I hunted the beginning of 2nd season was a foot of snow and sub zero overnight at 8k

In the last month (July) I have backpacked at 12k+ feet in CO with a 0 degree quilt and xtherm. I slept in a light long sleeve merino shirt and boxers. One weekend I was cold and one I was hot. You’ll be fine in what you have - just bring layers. Comes down to the price point/weight issue. I wouldn’t go into the CO high country any time of year without a 15 degree bag at minimum but I don’t like wearing multiple layers in my bag unless it gets real cold. You’ll live with the set up you propose. Me, I’m too old for that shit.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Done some cold nights in a terralite and been warm - if you’re wearing down top/bottom might be fine, otherwise I’d probably consider a 15f bag and still being puffy top/bottom.

geriggs

WKR
I was struggling with a similar setup for Wyoming mid October. I ended up buying the zenbivy 10deg light bag and sheet. I hope it’s warmer than the terralite. My pad is similar R 4.2. I don’t like the horizontal baffles of the thermarest but I might just buy the xtherm max for this trip just in case. We have a sawtooth and stove though so that will help but at 2am no one is stoking fire so still will be cold. I may just bring a foam pad to put underneath my pad to up the R value and if it’s gets really cold put on the down clothes….I do plan on buying down socks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Fever Buck
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I’ll need to purchase the XTherm and hopefully it goes on sale soon from REI or somewhere else. I’ll probably see if I can borrow a buddies sleeping bag for higher temp rating.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at upgrading your pad at the minimum. You might be able to get away with the sleeping bag if you have some puffy gear with you or just get a better bag/quilt and you’ll be set. We hunted that a few years ago. We were sleeping around 8600 feet and it got really cold at night.

OP
Fever Buck
I would look at upgrading your pad at the minimum. You might be able to get away with the sleeping bag if you have some puffy gear with you or just get a better bag/quilt and you’ll be set. We hunted that a few years ago. We were sleeping around 8600 feet and it got really cold at night.
Yeah, I figure it’s gonna be pretty dang cold at 9.5-10.5k feet. Thanks for the insight.

My wife and I upgraded to the Thermarest neoair NXT this spring (xlite for me and xtherm for her). I had previously been using the "women's" xlite for quite a few years. It seems to be fine for me down to the teens... but this new NXT is WAY WAY better. I went with the wide version this time, and that coupled with the more quiet fabric they changed... I slept better during our weeklong spring Selway hike than I ever have before in the backcountry.

Lando

WKR
I agree with others, upgrade the r-value on the pad and wear your insulated layers to bed, if it gets too cold for the sleeping bag.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have Exped rate 7.4 with El Coyote 15* quilt… if needed for extreme cold I have puffy coat/pants I could use also

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have Exped rate 7.4 with El Coyote 15* quilt… if needed for extreme cold I have puffy coat/pants I could use also