Need suggestions on workout routine

Finch

WKR
My wife and I went to the local YMCA yesterday to do a "test day" to see if we liked their facilities. My wife is into the Zumba and cycling classes and I seemed to just wander aimlessly around the gym. I ran a mile on the treadmill, did a few sets on the leg press, and then out the door I went. The gym is located in a pretty peaceful setting so I went for a run through the residential neighborhood. Did another 1.5 miles and I felt the most comfortable doing this. I spend enough time inside with my job, mostly 12 hour days (extremely sedentary), that I just hate the thought of being inside any longer than I have to. Especially really pretty days. I'm 6'0 tall and about 185 lbs but could stand to lose some body fat.
I don't know what it is about a gym but I'm just not a big fan. It's a little overwhelming to me and honestly a little intimidating. And the one machine I was really looking forward to using, they don't have....Stair stepper.

I've kinda slacked off lately but I was hiking with my weighted pack pretty regularly. I'm trying to get more into running. When I have been running, I'll typically do 3 miles in about 27 minutes. I'm not sure I really enjoy that either but I feel I need to be doing something for my upcoming elk hunt this September.

Bottom line, I guess I just don't enjoy working out. I wish I could like it but I don't. Now hiking and biking are more my cup of tea but I feel I need to be in the gym hitting some weights and machines. I went ahead and signed up because it's only $6 more a month to add me. I'm really wondering if I'll get my $6 worth though.

jmez

WKR
If you don't like it, going to be tough to get a lot of good out of it IMO.

Try some circuit training concentrating on legs and core. Squats and deadlift should be staples in your lifting. Two days a week should be enough for the lifting, esp if you don't like it.

Hiking with a weighted pack is the best exercise you can do. That is what you'll do hunting. You don't need to be in elite physical condition to hunt elk. Your conditioning level will affect how you hunt and could affect your enjoyment of the trip.

An easy one to understand for someone new to working out would be a simple push/pull routne. Pick 2-3 push exercises and 2-3 pull exercises, you coul vary your sets every few weeks by going heavy in the 4-6 rep range, to 8-12 reps for hypertrophy training (building muscle), and 12+ reps for more muscular endurance.

As you get more advanced you could also add in superset push/pull excercises, like a dumbell press followed by a set of dumbell rows, that will crank up the intensity.

Examples of push pull days would be like this:
Chest (push) & Back (pull)
Shoulders (push) & hamstrings/glutes (pull)
Quads (push) & biceps (pull)

I would do some sort of a warmup and then add in cardio intervals during the workout or after. One of my favorite workouts is to complete a superset, the hop on the treadmill at an uncomfortable pace (for me it's around 8mph) and add some incline (5% or more) and run for 1 minute between sets. That will really crank up the heat on your workouts!

bz_711

WKR
I always say "anything is better than nothing"

So, just keep it simple if it's not particularly fun for you - no need to set goals or weight/rep/# limits at this point.
Sometimes starting very small, like 1-2 times per week grows itself as you start to see some improvement.

My suggestion would be very simple goal of 4 workouts per week - approx. 30 minutes - could be anything.
Possibly jog twice/week, and the other two could a body weight workout (pushups/situps, planks, squats) which can be done in the front room with ball game on or with family...and the other a free weight workout, dumbbell curls, overhead press, etc.

If that still never becomes habit, long hikes with loaded pack will still benefit you, and long ones could help with endurance.

Getting your mind in shape is every bit as important, a ripped gym rat has no chance in the elk woods if he becomes negative on day 1 after not seeing any game, or is overcome with the loneliness of backcountry hunting and no cell service. Getting your mindset right even more important than getting your muscles right...IMO.

Good Luck and think of the mountains while training!

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks guys. That's kinda what I was looking for. Just a few simple workouts and then maybe I'll build from there.

JWP58

WKR
A fellow could probably get a lot from just a few simple lifts done right. Squat, Deadlift, Lunges, pull-ups, pushups, and various abdominal exercises. A workout can be as simple as 30mins if constructed/executed properly. Supersets are your friends, as well as circuits.

If you're new to weights, I would suggest 10-12 reps to begin with to build some muscle endurance, and to ensure proper form (weight should be light enough to ensure proper form, but heavy enough to be moderately difficult on the last two reps). Slowly increase weight, decrease reps/increase sets over a period of six/seven weeks and then change lifts/reps/sets/ect/ up