Need to accessorize a CVA Optima 2

I was at an NWTF dinner last night and won the Optima V2. It is the one with the stainless barrel, Realtree camo and comes with scope mounts. I know absolutely nothing about muzzleloaders. I have hunted with a bow exclusively since the mid 90’s.

What do I need? I saw there is a starter kit that CVA offers, with my reading today I think I will get either a Vortex or Burris scope. I would have originally thought about a Leupold but I got a RX1200 range finder in 2019 and it has crapped out in less than 3 years using it 2 months a year and only to confirm distance when shooting 3 D. I had a Bushnell Yardage Pro 500 that lasted 18 years and finally started crapping out below zero.

What bullets, pellets and other accessories does one need when starting out?

Thanks in advance.

OXN939

WKR
Nice snag. Optimas are great rifles. The answer to your question will depend on what you want to do with it. Certain things (optics, sabots, pelletized powder) are illegal in many western states, so you'll have to tailor it to whichever state you're interested in if that's the plan.

For hunting eastern whitetails, you're already most of the way there. The DNZ game reaper mount your rifle likely came with lends itself perfectly to blackpowder rifles as there is no bolt or action for it to interfere with. Throw any decent 2-7 scope in there and you're set to 150 for deer sized game. Regarding projectiles and powder, loose powder is generally preferable to pellets for a lot of reasons. 777 is a pretty good balance of availability, precision and (relatively) low potential for corrosion. Put a 250 grain Banres T-MZ over 90 grains by volume of that, and you'll almost certainly have a very accurate and terminally effective platform that's more than capable of handling anything east of the Mississippi. Highly recommend reading a few threads about guys' cleaning regimens before actually running a range... even blackpowder substitutes can cause pitting in a barrel relatively quickly, and that's too nice a rifle to have something like that happen to it.

Here's the blued version of your rifle getting some elevation in NV this year. This guy wears irons so as to comply with the regs for several western states I've used it in. After putting a certain number of miles in with a rifle, you kind of develop a bond with it... definitely checked that one off this year, and I can say I prefer my Optima to several much more expensive rifles I've owned.

Screenshot_20230930_202158_Gallery.jpg

This is what happens when you don’t clean one for 5+ plus years after shooting it. I was told it was shot once, I’d guess one outing, left loaded, and handed to me a couple weeks ago. I cleaned it, but I doubt it’s much more than a tomato stake at this point. 71718067749__CC1E9238-DEE5-46C0-B669-A6FF1AEE2D2E.jpeg

OXN939

WKR
This is what happens when you don’t clean one for 5+ plus years after shooting it. I was told it was shot once, I’d guess one outing, left loaded, and handed to me a couple weeks ago. I cleaned it, but I doubt it’s much more than a tomato stake at this point. View attachment 608304

May want to scrub the bore down and shoot a group or two before trashing it. Especially large bore rifles can be surprisingly forgiving of corrosion and still shoot just fine.

May want to scrub the bore down and shoot a group or two before trashing it. Especially large bore rifles can be surprisingly forgiving of corrosion and still shoot just fine.
The bore has been scrubbed for an hour, but will shoot it before it gets scrapped. If it’ll shoot to 75 yards or so decently, that’s all I need.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Optima v1. The first model with the qrbp
I have a v2 barrel I’d made you a good deal on. Not sure it’ll fit though. It’s the bergera version. I’ll run a borescope through it. I believe I shot it 4-5 times. Shoot me a DM if interested and I can get you specs and you can call tomorrow and confirm it fits.

I have a v2 barrel I’d made you a good deal on. Not sure it’ll fit though. It’s the bergera version. I’ll run a borescope through it. I believe I shot it 4-5 times. Shoot me a DM if interested and I can get you specs and you can call tomorrow and confirm it fits.
I’ve had a cva rep tell me they are not compatible. I had found one on eBay but I have no idea the differences. I appreciate the offer. I may send a pm anyway.

OP
F
This is what I was thinking about getting after reading here, seeing some video's on Youtube and the owners manual. I would start with two of the white hot pellets and the 348gr. PowerBelt's based upon what the owners manual said.

Curious what people think? I will likely only use it for hunting about 1 week a year for whitetail's.

I look forward to your feedback.

Vortex® Crossfire II Riflescope - V Plex & Dead-Hold BDC Reticle 1" Scope Tube

Magnification 3-9x40mm
Reticle Dead-On BDC
Price Original price$150.00 Current price$129.00

Translation missing: en.cart.general.total_line_price
$129.00

OXN939

WKR

If you only ever take one piece of advice off this website, do not use powerbelts. They are the ballistic equivalent of Bud Light's late marketing director. Any number of options- Federal B.O.R. Lock, Remington UML, or the Hornady XTP bullets would perform exponentially better.

You'll get a lot of feedback on the Vortex scope, too. I've personally owned 2 of their lower-to-mid tier options, and both had issues that got sent in for and corrected by warranty. Burris Fullfield scopes cost about the same and don't have nearly the number of nightmare stories.

Everything else should do ya fine. If you can't find the magnum 209 primers in stock, triple seven or pyrodex will both ignite with the standard "muzzleloader" 209 primers that are readily available at any sporting goods store.

Last edited:
OP
F
If you only ever take one piece of advice off this website, do not use powerbelts. They are the ballistic equivalent of Bud Light's late marketing director. Any number of options- Federal B.O.R. Lock, Remington UML, or the Hornady XTP bullets would perform exponentially better.

You'll get a lot of feedback on the Vortex scope, too. I've personally owned 2 of their lower-to-mid tier options, and both had issues that got sent in for and corrected by warranty. Burris Fullfield scopes cost about the same and don't have nearly the number of nightmare stories.

Everything else should do ya fine. If you can't find the magnum 209 primers in stock, triple seven or pyrodex will both ignite with the standard "muzzleloader" 209 primers that are readily available at any sporting goods store.

Since I posted this list I have read similar info as you and most have said the Hornady XTP’s. So I will start with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk