Nevada draw up

Cameron C

FNG
This will be my first year hunting in Nevada, I got drawn for 195 early muzzle loader. I'm stoked!

If anyone has hunted the Virginia City zone before I'd love some tips or pointers.

Thanks

Sunspot

WKR
I had 10 points while building for a late season Unit 24 tag until they hosed it last year and combined early and late while shaving off the prime rut. But I know of a hog in 23 so I decided to go with it.

Slim Jim

WKR
I had 10 points while building for a late season Unit 24 tag until they hosed it last year and combined early and late while shaving off the prime rut. But I know of a hog in 23 so I decided to go with it.

23 and 24 are hard to get. I'm not willing to hold out and build points. I want to hunt every year but I do put those two as my first and second choice. Maybe one of these years I'll get lucky and get one. You'll have to post pics of the monster you pull out of there.

Sunspot

WKR
23 and 24 are hard to get. I'm not willing to hold out and build points. I want to hunt every year but I do put those two as my first and second choice. Maybe one of these years I'll get lucky and get one. You'll have to post pics of the monster you pull out of there.

That's the thing I build points for certain hunts and can hunt OTC, landowner or easy lottery archery anytime. Hopefully I get my archery bull tag in some other states soon because I can't draw for another for 7 years in NV. I can only hope he re-appears because it won't be for a lack of trying on my part.

Bigolmuley

Lil-Rokslider
I drew an elk tag in AZ so I decided against my normal 231 archery deer tag and put in for 22 late and 24 rifle figuring I would not draw. But pulled the 24 tag. Pretty excited. We shall see how it goes. Hope it rains a bit more. Only another 3 weeks and after that the rain I doubt will matter much.

Sunspot

WKR
I drew an elk tag in AZ so I decided against my normal 231 archery deer tag and put in for 22 late and 24 rifle figuring I would not draw. But pulled the 24 tag. Pretty excited. We shall see how it goes. Hope it rains a bit more. Only another 3 weeks and after that the rain I doubt will matter much.

Do your legwork and 24 can reward you with some huge non-typicals. My buddy that lives in Panaca says it is very dry this year. That can be good or bad for a hunter. I know during my archery bull hunt in 2011 there was too much water. Congrats on the best deer trophy tag in the state (IMO).

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Do your legwork and 24 can reward you with some huge non-typicals. My buddy that lives in Panaca says it is very dry this year. That can be good or bad for a hunter. I know during my archery bull hunt in 2011 there was too much water. Congrats on the best deer trophy tag in the state (IMO).

You guys are making me feel better about not drawing. That is a nice tag and pretty country which is hard to believe when you drive through the first time.

Hardstalk

WKR
You guys are making me feel better about not drawing. That is a nice tag and pretty country which is hard to believe when you drive through the first time.

Ive heard rumors a great bowhunter really likes 24.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370619196.239454.jpg could just be hearsay though..

Hardstalk

WKR
I think he got that in 231 last year with an outfitter

I dont believe you will find records of where he "drew" a tag. Guided or not. Im led to believe if all those deer come out of 231 that place is the comparison of the "strip" in arizona but to nevada. As in guides galore and not alot of big animals go unphotoed. Those deer would have been seen before the trophy photos with randy given they were in a unit as scoured as 23. I may be talking out my ass but ive spoke with a few folks who have glassed side by side with the fella. And they say he has more favored areas then 23 when it comes to solitude.

velvetfvr

WKR
I dont believe you will find records of where he "drew" a tag. Guided or not. Im led to believe if all those deer come out of 231 that place is the comparison of the "strip" in arizona but to nevada. As in guides galore and not alot of big animals go unphotoed. Those deer would have been seen before the trophy photos with randy given they were in a unit as scoured as 23. I may be talking out my ass but ive spoke with a few folks who have glassed side by side with the fella. And they say he has more favored areas then 23 when it comes to solitude.

I thought it was 231.

Sunspot

WKR
He does like 23 and many of those photos are from the area. I know where he likes to hunt and even saw Cam Hanes in that area too. It is a very good spot and it certainly helps when you have people finding bruisers for you. You still have to put in the sweat equity and get it done. The bull elk I had chased and couldn't get a shot ended up being killed by a guides wife last season and scored 423 raw and 406 dried. That bull had been chased the previous late season rifle and escaped. I had him all to myself after figuring out his core area a little too late and just couldn't get it done with my bow. Too bad I couldn't afford a landowner tag the next year but that is another can of worms that is not right. A lot of these hunts are sold to the highest bidder any more which is sad. Hopefully I will get luckier with a muley I know about since last year but need to track him down again. I sure wish I had eyes on every vantage point working for me.

Hardstalk

WKR
Saw 1 of the muley vouchers at a banquet go for 70k a couple months ago. It was a phone bidder, hard to tell who was on the other line..

I have a few trusted friends who have glassed side by side with the fella in 23. Im by no means denying that majority of his bruisers come from that vicinity. But 24 is no slouch and he is fully aware of that. He does a great job of finding the least amount of backdrop in his photos on purpose. Its not really something worth anymore debate the truth wont soon be open. But to the fella with the 24 tag. There is a great opportunity for a handsome reward if you hunt the area right.

Sunspot

WKR
Yes 24 is a great unit. I was pissed when they combined the rifle seasons and shaved the final days from the old late season and just before I had a good shot at that tag. Hopefully we get some rain sooner than later.

bowuntr

WKR
"I dont believe you will find records of where he "drew" a tag. Guided or not."

Nevada publishes their draw results... real easy to see who drew what and who didn't draw. Not sure if you can find out who buys the landowner tags. Ed F