Nevada winter kill?

I am just seeing if anybody has heard about possible winter kill data for this year in Nevada? I’m seeing a lot of reports on other western states but am having a heard time finding data on Nevada numbers. Thank you all in advance

"Fall surveys were completed in most areas during the fall of 2022. The statewide average postseason observed buck: doe: fawn ratio for all surveyed areas was 31 bucks: 100 does: 54 fawns. Although that was a promising outlook for buck ratios and fawn:doe ratios going into winter, many of the larger herds experienced 40-55% over-winter fawn loss. Adult mortality was well above average for some herds such as the Ruby Mountains, which has lost approximately 30% of radio-collared adult does since January. Most areas had spring aerial surveys completed with resulting ratios averaging 32 fawns:100 adults on a statewide basis. It is expected that mortality and over-winter fawn loss may continue well into April and May due to severe winter conditions deer experienced by some herds. The statewide population estimate for mule deer continues to decline and is currently estimated to be about 68,000 animals which is the lowest estimated population observed since 1976 and mule deer have declined by about 37% in the past decade."

OP
BattlebornArcher
"Fall surveys were completed in most areas during the fall of 2022. The statewide average postseason observed buck: doe: fawn ratio for all surveyed areas was 31 bucks: 100 does: 54 fawns. Although that was a promising outlook for buck ratios and fawn:doe ratios going into winter, many of the larger herds experienced 40-55% over-winter fawn loss. Adult mortality was well above average for some herds such as the Ruby Mountains, which has lost approximately 30% of radio-collared adult does since January. Most areas had spring aerial surveys completed with resulting ratios averaging 32 fawns:100 adults on a statewide basis. It is expected that mortality and over-winter fawn loss may continue well into April and May due to severe winter conditions deer experienced by some herds. The statewide population estimate for mule deer continues to decline and is currently estimated to be about 68,000 animals which is the lowest estimated population observed since 1976 and mule deer have declined by about 37% in the past decade."

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it! Things aren’t looking to good this year throughout the west it’s a shame.

If we continue to get decent winter moisture the next few years ( ive seen projections that say we will west-wide) we should see population as a whole increase.

Last edited:

NYSKIER

WKR
Was wondering about Nevada winterkill myself. The deer that survive should have some good growth this year with all the moisture and hopefully things trend up as Wyatt said