Winter Kill/ Changing Plans

Sorry if this has been discussed in other winter kill threads, but anybody withdrawing applications changing plans based on winter kill projections/ reports? I'm going to let my WY application ride but would be curious what others (especially locals to WY, MT, CO, etc.) think.

WRO

WKR
I’m changing my plans in Idaho as a resident a bunch, probably won’t even hunt here this year for deer and elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My opinion:

After all of the disdain for NR hunting and goalpost moving that has been happening with the WFG, if you have the time to hunt, I would be hunting. Go and hunt before they form another ridiculous, guide riddled, coalitional task force and put the proverbial nail in the NR's coffin and your points become useless....

We are paying the WGF biologists to analyze the herds and set the limits accordingly. It's not your job to manage the wildlife. Your job is to manage expectations and go hunting.

Laramie

WKR
Massively changing plans for antelope and mule deer and possibly for elk- waiting to see recommendation at the end of this month. For many people, their plans will be changed like it or not due to reduced tags, shortened seasons, and excessive point creep in areas not impacted by the winter kill.

Bigolmuley

Lil-Rokslider
Probably going to let it ride in Wyoming. I will draw the tag with my points. My concern is not the death, but antler growth. They have dropped and not any grass growing yet. Stunt the bottom end? Tops ok? Who knows! But like others have said, I am out in WY. They are going nuts there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plan A is MT elk this year, and what I’m hearing from local friends that MT want hit that bad compared to CO/WY/ID. So if that works out no change in plans.

A Wyoming type 6 for a western WY district is one of my backup plans. If those tags get reduced compared to last year I might modify my WY app more for draw odds than anything else, but I’ll let the biologists do what they get paid to do.

Long term the herd will be fine.

I figure the healthiest, biggest, and strongest will survive. And that's what I'm looking for, so no changes for me.
Exactly my way of thinking. Now is the time to hunt. The affects of this year’s winterkilll will cause problems in about 3-5 years because of the does that died this year and the bucks that died as fawns this winter.

Waiting is a bad idea for several reasons. That and as mentioned above the task force is as bad as pro wolf people when it comes to eliminating our opportunities. And then there’s always the chance that between now and when you hope things recover we get more severe winters. If you have the points hunt. My app is in for region G deer with no plans to modify or withdraw.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
All I have done is cancel plans on a few hunts elsewhere and will focus on local deer hunts. Honestly not excited this year for deer but I think elk hunting will be fine.

OP
M
Well, looks like the biologists agree re: elk not being impacted too bad. The areas I'm planning to hunt in Wyoming have increased tags and no reductions of any kind in the updated proposed-regulations WY just put out.

Wheels

WKR
Well, looks like the biologists agree re: elk not being impacted too bad. The areas I'm planning to hunt in Wyoming have increased tags and no reductions of any kind in the updated proposed-regulations WY just put out.
I saw that too, seems odd to me that they would increase tags in areas that are hardest hit. I guess it's just a recommendation until approved.

From what I've heard looks like Wyo antelope and deer have been hammered by the winter weather. Not so much the big hardier elk. Yesterday I looked at the deer tag reduction list for the unit I plan to hunt this year and there is a reduction of 25 tags. Not significant, so I'll likely go ahead and burn my points and be done.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Even if my odds were cut in half where I normally go it wouldn't deter me. Yeah I want to kill something but I just want to go.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Same for me. Odds are already low. I just enjoy being there. I have been seeing more and more deer every year while elk hunting. Will be interesting to get a first hand look at it this September.

IdahoElk

WKR
This is my backyard today, usually Elk are long gone by now, Elk had a really hard winter, the Deer are getting whacked right in town by Lions.

9N9okJj.jpg

EdP

WKR
After a quick review of the proposed changes in Wy, my impression is that the pronghorn and deer quotas/seasons may be restricted significantly in some areas, but elk quotas/seasons may actually be relaxed in general. If I had elk plans for the fall of 2023, I would not be changing them.