New Benchmade Meatcrafter- 4" blade

Fire_9

WKR
I looked at these pretty hard last year but theres now way I could buy one, especially from their custom shop, instead of supporting a small knife maker. There are some pretty damn talented knife makers out there that'll make you what you want for the same price or less

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
something like this? :)

toOD1s6.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR

toOD1s6.jpg

Not to crap on that knife at all, but I really prefer more belly, and I think if you gave something along the lines of the meat crafter a try, you may enjoy it. That belly almost does all the work for you.

Personally for custom Benchmade money I would message deer rock knives (he is on here if you search) tell him you want a nice, thin stainless 4” boning knife in your choice of scales, in magnacut. I bet for not much more you end up with what you want.

Fwiw I’m a huge orange g10 fan, and if you do go meat crafter, cpm 154 is one of my favorite stainless steels (should also mention I’m not the biggest fan of s30/s35/s90)

Fire_9

WKR
Personally for custom Benchmade money I would message deer rock knives (he is on here if you search) tell him you want a nice, thin stainless 4” boning knife in your choice of scales, in magnacut. I bet for not much more you end up with what you want.

I really, really like the looks of his knives. Erickson knive works would be another one to check out

sndmn11

WKR

toOD1s6.jpg
Does that blade flex? I'd really like to find a super steel with this baby meat crafter shape. Or get my hands on something CPM154 to see what it is like. Someone should talk @ccoffey into buying one and sending it to me to fancy up with some carbon fiber handles.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 12.20.13 PM.png

@Wilderness Spirit do you make anything thin enough that it has some flex from something like Magnacut?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ mine isn't thin enough to flex; I wanted it a little thinner but the maker was concerned with the heat treat and suggested against it

Lawnboi

WKR
^ mine isn't thin enough to flex; I wanted it a little thinner but the maker was concerned with the heat treat and suggested against it
Even beyond the thickness of the tang, how it is profiled to the edge makes a slicer good at slicing. Something I think the gentleman i mentioned has figured out.

Something not too thick coming off the edge, in a decently tough steel, with a near continuous belly to the blade is a breeze to use.

Here’s a boning knife I had made years ago by a gentleman in SD. This one is in A2, I prefer just a little more belly.

1711403925879.jpeg

Yea, I just couldn't do it. My Fibrox 6" boning knife weighs 3.4 oz and costs $25. They make a 4" too that weighs....wait for it....2.4 oz.... I don't have anything against Benchmade. I carry one of their hunting knives and like it quite a bit but for butchering all my knives are Fibrox/Vitronox.
I use victorinox knives everyday and carry a 5” boning knife in my pack. I can get them extremely sharp and no need to touch them up while breaking an animal down. I carry three knives total. Boning knife, skinning, and a pocket clip knife. All very light.

Spyderco bow river, people will knock it for the steel but if you can run a hone it is an amazing camp/game knife. I actually prefer a knife with slightly softer steel where I don't have to worry about chipping, I carry a worksharp field sharpener so it's nothing to freehand back to hair popping.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Does that blade flex? I'd really like to find a super steel with this baby meat crafter shape. Or get my hands on something CPM154 to see what it is like. Someone should talk @ccoffey into buying one and sending it to me to fancy up with some carbon fiber handles.

View attachment 692188

@Wilderness Spirit do you make anything thin enough that it has some flex from something like Magnacut?
I don’t think you want to know my fee for driving over to that godforsaken wasteland part of Oregon 😂

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, my butcher buddy laughs at me for buying the expensive steel knives.…but I love them.

He can whip a cheap knife back in shape with a steel…or a long round chock stick type thing with a handle in about 30 seconds. He does it 30 times a day.

I like having a knife that I can sharpen on my Edge Pro ( its the best) and I don’t have to touch them up in the field.

FWIW, my butcher buddy laughs at me for buying the expensive steel knives.…but I love them.

He can whip a cheap knife back in shape with a steel…or a long round chock stick type thing with a handle in about 30 seconds. He does it 30 times a day.

I like having a knife that I can sharpen on my Edge Pro ( its the best) and I don’t have to touch them up in the field.
As a someone who owns wayy too many knives I agree to a point. Super steels are great for holding edges but they too require touchups and if ignored are much more difficult to bring back in the field. Cheaper steels require more touch ups but can damn near be sharpened on anything. I once touched up a buck knife off the edge of a truck window and stroped off a seat belt, as long as you can hold a consistent bevel you can bring them back to a nice edge. Just something to consider. Worksharp has an awesome field sharpener that is worth the couple extra ounces in a pack, learn how to freehand sharpen on a cheaper knife and then step up to your nicer steels.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 692188

I don't have anything in the line up except for the BACll and that one doesn't have much flex. I might have to work on something similar with more flex.

feanor

WKR
@Hoghead has been asking for a very similar knife for him in Magnacut. So I’ll have a batch going here in a couple months. Stock is going to be .070 aprox though. So more flex. 3.500 blade and 4.000 handle. I’m going to get a sheet of magnacut that will produce 10 knives. Should be a sweet slicer.