New BlackOvis Hailstone Rain Jacket

DH_TX

FNG
I am looking at picking up a rain jacket and came across the new BlackOvis Hailstone, but there isn't much info out there about it yet. Wondering if anyone had pulled the trigger on it and had any feedback? How does it compare to the other popular options, quality, fit, etc.?

Maniac_Ant

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
So in my personal opinion, it's a pretty awesome piece of gear. It is not as light as say the Sitka Dewpoint but I like the heft of the Jacket/pant, it feels thick enough that I'm not going to worry about any water hitting me even in a torrential downpour, Also it breaks down easy one time just to see if I could I balled up the Jacket and pants and Stuffed them in the hood of the jacket which looked rather silly but it was good to know it breaks down so small For long hikes, Backpacking or multiday Hunting trips where Size conservation in my pack is key. I will say it feels like it weighs more than Say the Dewpoint but not so much that it would weigh me down considerably on any longer trips, another small con to the gear other than the thickness and being a little heavier than other rain gear is sizing in my personal experience it runs a little small, Like I'm almost 6'2" and 230lbs and I'm a little broad in shape, and I normally wear an XL but in this Rain Gear I got XXL mostly just so that I could pull it out of my pack and throw it on over other layers and because in my standard XL size it was little tight feeling on my shoulders and sides but Experiences may Vary, sorry for the long post was just hoping to help anyone hopping in this thread looking for info!!!!! Cheers!

I have a pair of Hailstone pants on the way to me. Will be able to pull some general opinions on material, weight, and construction once in hand if curious.

OP
D

DH_TX

FNG
So in my personal opinion, it's a pretty awesome piece of gear. It is not as light as say the Sitka Dewpoint but I like the heft of the Jacket/pant, it feels thick enough that I'm not going to worry about any water hitting me even in a torrential downpour, Also it breaks down easy one time just to see if I could I balled up the Jacket and pants and Stuffed them in the hood of the jacket which looked rather silly but it was good to know it breaks down so small For long hikes, Backpacking or multiday Hunting trips where Size conservation in my pack is key. I will say it feels like it weighs more than Say the Dewpoint but not so much that it would weigh me down considerably on any longer trips, another small con to the gear other than the thickness and being a little heavier than other rain gear is sizing in my personal experience it runs a little small, Like I'm almost 6'2" and 230lbs and I'm a little broad in shape, and I normally wear an XL but in this Rain Gear I got XXL mostly just so that I could pull it out of my pack and throw it on over other layers and because in my standard XL size it was little tight feeling on my shoulders and sides but Experiences may Vary, sorry for the long post was just hoping to help anyone hopping in this thread looking for info!!!!! Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to give the jacket a try and have it on order. I will report back once I have a chance to check it out.

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
I have the jacket. I really like it so far. Only used it a couple hikes but its nice. I think overall its great for the price. I like the long pit zips even though i was skeptical about these at first. I have the stone glacier m5 pants and really wanted the m5 jacket but for half the price im very happy i tried this one. My only complaint is the body length isn't quite long enough for me where as the sleeves are almost too long. Im 6'3 195 and i got xl

i plan on getting a set to try.... price alone makes it hard to not try... if it lasts a season at that price, it would be slightly better than my current program (past 10 yrs) i just got the last set of raingear i was interested in (takur) but if it doesn't hold up 2 seasons, i will stick with yukon.

i think i will buy a set of the blackovis as a spare set to test

I picked one up from their storefront in Salt Lake City. We've gotten on and off thunderstorms for the last four days and the jacket performed great. As others have mentioned, the membrane is a bit thicker than the new Dewpoint (for comparison). My only complaint is that there are no hand pockets, which I imagine they did to save weight.

Overall, for the price, I'd highly recommend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
D

DH_TX

FNG
I did get the jacket in and it seems to be well made. The sizing is pretty true, and the sizing and fit seemed pretty similar to the new Dew Point that I tried on recently in store. The pit vent zipper runs from the pocket all the way up to the arm and serves as the vent and pocket opening. The zipper can be opened from both ends, but I think I would prefer 2 zippers instead of one long one. Like mentioned above, it is a little thicker and heavier than the Dew Point. I haven't tried it in the elements.

For the price, it seems like a good option, but I may end up returning it and going with the new Dew Point primarily for packability.

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
anyone have a pic of the jacket broke down for packing in pack? Im curious how small it gets, since it sounds like it is a little heavier material.

Bump79

WKR
Any updates on getting Hailstone gear? I haven't heard much about noise, stretch or breathability.

I see they have gaiters now. Seems like they would be a good option for that since everyone makes them out to be heavier duty.

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates on getting Hailstone gear? I haven't heard much about noise, stretch or breathability.

I see they have gaiters now. Seems like they would be a good option for that since everyone makes them out to be heavier duty.
I never ended up getting any

AKjon

FNG
I picked up a set, but I didnt get it until the end of the season. I like the fit and the weight, but I wont be able to put it to use for several months. It is definitely not as noisy as the gore-tex gear that I have, but it is rain gear... so there is some noise.

The one quirk about the jacket (that I had read about prior to ordering) is that the pit zips run full length down the jacket and also serve as the pockets. It's different, but wont know if it's a deal breaker for me until I spend some time in the jacket.

Bump79

WKR
I picked up a set, but I didnt get it until the end of the season. I like the fit and the weight, but I wont be able to put it to use for several months. It is definitely not as noisy as the gore-tex gear that I have, but it is rain gear... so there is some noise.

The one quirk about the jacket (that I had read about prior to ordering) is that the pit zips run full length down the jacket and also serve as the pockets. It's different, but wont know if it's a deal breaker for me until I spend some time in the jacket.
The pit zips actually appeal to me. Regardless of breathability, I find that that any raingear can't breathe enough to move in a little. Which is nice to not have to layer on and off constantly. Especially when bouncing between glassing areas in smaller breaks like country.

Bump79

WKR
I have the jacket. I really like it so far. Only used it a couple hikes but its nice. I think overall its great for the price. I like the long pit zips even though i was skeptical about these at first. I have the stone glacier m5 pants and really wanted the m5 jacket but for half the price im very happy i tried this one. My only complaint is the body length isn't quite long enough for me where as the sleeves are almost too long. Im 6'3 195 and i got xl
How would you compare stretch and noise to the M5?