New Found Excitement

muleman

WKR
I personally have hunted turkeys once. I drew a Utah tag about ten years ago. It was unsuccessful, didn't even see a bird.

Fast forward to Friday and Saturday of this week. Utah has a three day youth hunt prior to the Utah general hunt. I took my two hunting age kids out. Friday saw a little old sign, lots of sandhill cranes, herrons, geese and ducks, but no turkeys.

Saturday we setup in a new area with a lot of droppings. Placed jake and hen decoys and proceeded to call. About an hour into it, we got one gobble a few hundred yards off. We couldn't agree exactly which direction it came from. We were sitting in a sage and grass flat with three canyons that feed into it.

Man that short one second gobble was like a 10cc shot of epinephrine and I didn't even have a gun! We waited and called for about 45 minutes more, then moved to a new set above. From that point on we found a new campsite to pack into and saw a bunch of ruffled grouse and a few mule deer.

Through the rest of May we'll now have three tags to fill. Good thing for me, because I need to hike. As my kids made some speed and age comments as we did some prolonged up hill streches. Who would have thought that a gobble could get me so excited.

MThuntr

WKR
I've always compared turkey hunting in the west to elk hunting. Lots of hiking, calling, waiting, heartbeats, and the wish of being in better shape. Go get 'em!

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Great analogy. That gobble was like hearing my first bugle as a kid.

Where I'm at it is definitely not like turkey hunting the Eastern part of the US. I lived in Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arkansas for a while and I swear there were turkeys behind every bush. Turkey management in Utah is becoming a success story. A lot of turkeys on private property. Public land DIY turkey still requires some boot leather.