New Foundland Moose Gear List

Get a Sitka lightweight Core zip tee w/ the built-in facemask, wear glasses and gloves. The bugs you encounter in a swamp are relentless, enormous and loud. You want complete coverage. Trust me on this one. You don't need dual camo, just Aerowool briefs and short sleeved tees...a pair of gaiters in your pack doesn't hurt...might only need em once you have a quarter in your pack. Thermacell for windless days when you are stationary.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg

Covee

FNG
In my opinion, a compass is a mu
A compass to back up your GPS, or instead of, unless the guide/outfitter recommends you bring a GPS.
I totally agree with you...In my opinion, a compass is a must-have.

Robnewf

FNG
Which model of Maine boot? This is an interesting combination.
I tried the 16 inch high Maine hunting boots but now use the 12" because found the 16 tight on the calve for walking. I submerge the boots over the top all the time as long as I don't go over the sock, no problem. Introduced to water proof goretex socks when I was in the military and would not go back. I own rubber boots but I'd I have to hike anywhere it the all bean Maine hunting boots. Other goretex boots don't work because when they do get wet they take too long to dry out. The MHBs have no liuning of any sort, just leather and rubber, so they dry fast. Keep them treated with leather treatment of some sort. The socks are the best piece of kit I've discovered. Sealakinz. Recommend the highest right to the knee. You could where any boots you prefer with these but the drying out time is where the MHBs shine.

keller

WKR
Are the sealskinz your referring to
Also born and raised in Newfoundland. Do a lot of backpack hunting alone. The Maine hunting boots coupled with a sealskinz waterproof sock is the best boot for hiking here. Everyone wears rubber boots but rubber boots are not made for hiking. I've tried everything there is. Be prepared to feel it in the knees and hips as everything here involves high stepping. Even flat walking due to the boggy terrain. I also work as a guide on the northern peninsula

a standalone sock or a liner?

Robnewf

FNG

717jeeper

FNG
I am going with an outfitter and staying in a remote camp with small cabins. I am trying to land my gear list and was hoping to get some input from those that have been up there already.

So far this is what I have:

Rain Gear
2 sets camo
Lightweight merino base layer
Medium wegiht merino base layer
Beanie
Ball cap
Gloves
GPS
1st Aid Kit
Rubber boots
4 pair socks
Camp shoes
Sleeping bag
Air pillow
Scent free soap
Scent Free spray
Knives
Game bags
Toilet Paper
Binos
Rangefinder

ANything else I may be missing?

Need to keep it under 50 pounds as we are taking helicopter into camp.

Get yourself a bino harness that can open and close easy with one hand. Also keep your rangefinder handy, I left my rangefinder in my pack thinking the guide had one on his bino harness and ended up missing a large bull because I didn’t know how far it was. I was told 200 yards I think it was more like 400-500 yards. The next day I had my range finder and shot a cow at 200 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk