New from Northern CA...

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I discovered this forum after doing searches for opinions and recommendations on gear. etc. Currently live in the Bay Area, previously was in Colorado for many years where I did quite a bit of ice, alpine and trad climbing. Also did a bit of hiking, camping and backpacking including some ultralight stuff for 2 weeks on the Colorado Trail with a sub-10lb. pack, and several multi-overnighters in RMNP, climbing out in the Wind River Range in WY, Utah, etc., but don't climb anymore. I've always been interested in learning to hunt (for food) but with work and traveling for work getting in the way (worked as a travel nurse for a few years) and life getting int he way, timing was never right.

I've scraped and made sacrificed oner the last 3 years and now I'm debt free aside from rent and living expenses. (paid off $85k in debt in just under 3 years). Also have a 6 month emergency fund saved and now think it's time to start getting back out there and enjoying life again and really want to get back into the mountains and outdoors and learn to hunt.

I plan on being here in the Bay Area for another 1-2 years to continue to save more since I won't be making anywhere near what I make as a nurse here anywhere else in the country and also ride out this whole pandemic and see what happens to the economy and housing market. Plus, most hospitals out west have implemented hiring freezes right now. I'd love to move now but it just does make sense at the moment. Once things start getting back to "normal" and business picks up I'm considering moving back to Colorado or possibly Idaho, Montana, and would even consider Nevada.

I'm currently in the market for a bolt action rifle and currently own a handgun and a shotgun, so not completely new to firearms, but definitely new to rifles. Currently completing my online Hunter Ed., and am booked for the classroom portion in August to obtain my CA hunting license.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here and hopefully can contribute something and give something back to those who are generous enough to help out a newbie who doesn't even know what I don't know!

Scott

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Talked to you a bit in your rifle thread. Welcome! I'm in the North-East bay on 200 acres between Livermore and Byron. Once you get all settled in with hunters safety and get your rifle send me a PM!

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Talked to you a bit in your rifle thread. Welcome! I'm in the North-East bay on 200 acres between Livermore and Byron. Once you get all settled in with hunters safety and get your rifle send me a PM!

Will do. Thank you very much!