New glass for a goat hunt

DRUSS

WKR
Well, guys hoping for some advice. I have been going through old reviews and current ones. I will be going on a mtn goat this year( my first) and am looking to upgrade my spotter. I have a ts-82 and a old 15-45 victory. Both good glass but keep hearing how goats are tough to gauge so want clearest image available currently? What did you decide to purchase and why?
Have looked at atx 65mm, kowa 65mm, leica 65mm, zeiss 65mm. I like each for different reasons, price, zoom , weight, clarity. Just wanting to hear what others chose and if they are still content with the decision that was made?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All good choices you listed but everyone's eyes or different so look through as many as you can before deciding. Then you can't go wrong with whatever decision you make.
Hope to hear a report of your goat hunt.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was in a situation where I had some money to spend on glass, so I looked at everything below $2,500. And just about every situation the Kowa 77 mm won out. Feel free to give me a call to discuss if you'd like.

Rob

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My personal feeling is that you're not going to gain much by going with anything more than your TS-82. It's a fine scope that offers a beautiful image. Unless you're looking to drop weight, I wouldn't be looking for a new scope.

OP
D

DRUSS

WKR
My personal feeling is that you're not going to gain much by going with anything more than your TS-82. It's a fine scope that offers a beautiful image. Unless you're looking to drop weight, I wouldn't be looking for a new scope.
I would like to drop weight.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, guys hoping for some advice. I have been going through old reviews and current ones. I will be going on a mtn goat this year( my first) and am looking to upgrade my spotter. I have a ts-82 and a old 15-45 victory. Both good glass but keep hearing how goats are tough to gauge so want clearest image available currently? What did you decide to purchase and why?
Have looked at atx 65mm, kowa 65mm, leica 65mm, zeiss 65mm. I like each for different reasons, price, zoom , weight, clarity. Just wanting to hear what others chose and if they are still content with the decision that was made?

I would recommend the ATX 65mm. Swarovski glass is the best out on the market right now. Yes they cost a little more than the rest, but that is for a reason. You get what you pay for in optics. We all use Swarovski optics here in the office. We have tried others and did not find anything that would match up. That being said the Swarovski ATX system is the best spotter out right now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would recommend the ATX 65mm. Swarovski glass is the best out on the market right now. Yes they cost a little more than the rest, but that is for a reason. You get what you pay for in optics. We all use Swarovski optics here in the office. We have tried others and did not find anything that would match up. That being said the Swarovski ATX system is the best spotter out right now.
If he's looking to drop weight, then the ATX isn't saving him any. Light weight isn't its strong suit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run the 95 BTX and angled eye piece depends on what I am doing and I also have the 65 ATS weight for me is an issue and is not. I want the best glass and clarity I can get out of an optic and I just don't feel that the weight for me is an issue now it may be for some of you but a couple ounce's is not going to make it or break it. The 65 ATS is 12" long ruffle and right around 36oz and my tripod is right around 2lbs 5oz and I carry that hundreds of miles threw out the year with ease. I also carry my 95 Atx weight is around 78oz with me just to have the big field of view and zoom power and that's going from 8500 feet to 12,000 here in Colorado and I am no giant I am 5'8" and 155lbs my pack is usually about 45 lbs less or more depending on the hunt and how I hunt that trip. I also carry the Sirui tripod ET 1204 with a pan head. I mean what's few ounces 1 meal from mountain house to me I would rather have a little more weight and have a killer glass cause as we all know glassing is key for success. Just my thoughts on that many others may think different or may agree with me but glass is key in my opinion and you can not go wrong with Swarovski.

If he's looking to drop weight, then the ATX isn't saving him any. Light weight isn't its strong suit.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great choice killer spotter light and amazing glass let me know if you have any questions on it just give me a shout and for being a ROK SLIDE member I can help you out on the price as well. I will give you all the info I can on it as well as our options and experience on it as well cause we all run that one in the office plus the other bigger spotters.

I’m going to get an ats 65 for goat and sheep this year.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I run the 95 BTX and angled eye piece depends on what I am doing and I also have the 65 ATS weight for me is an issue and is not. I want the best glass and clarity I can get out of an optic and I just don't feel that the weight for me is an issue now it may be for some of you but a couple ounce's is not going to make it or break it. The 65 ATS is 12" long ruffle and right around 36oz and my tripod is right around 2lbs 5oz and I carry that hundreds of miles threw out the year with ease. I also carry my 95 Atx weight is around 78oz with me just to have the big field of view and zoom power and that's going from 8500 feet to 12,000 here in Colorado and I am no giant I am 5'8" and 155lbs my pack is usually about 45 lbs less or more depending on the hunt and how I hunt that trip. I also carry the Sirui tripod ET 1204 with a pan head. I mean what's few ounces 1 meal from mountain house to me I would rather have a little more weight and have a killer glass cause as we all know glassing is key for success. Just my thoughts on that many others may think different or may agree with me but glass is key in my opinion and you can not go wrong with Swarovski.
I carry a Kowa 773 that is practically the same weight as the Swaro ATX 65 with a larger objective lens. I certainly couldn't tell a $1300 difference between the two scopes side by side. If you plan on running multiple objectives it gets interesting, but even then I would probably do the 88 body. To each their own, but most guys are gonna run one size spotter. The weight you mind carrying might be the line that others draw. The ATS 65 with WA eyepiece would be the weight conscious route to go

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just like having the ATX cause I can change objectives or eye piece's when need be depending on the hunt I go on and this is true it may be the weight that guys don't want to carry but everyone hunts different and my way I do things may be stupid to others but it works for me. I do love my ATS 65 light weight and great to pack with but I just like that magnification and bigger field of view I can get out of my 95 and sometimes where we go for goats and elk that makes it or breaks it for us.

I carry a Kowa 773 that is practically the same weight as the Swaro ATX 65 with a larger objective lens. I certainly couldn't tell a $1300 difference between the two scopes side by side. If you plan on running multiple objectives it gets interesting, but even then I would probably do the 88 body. To each their own, but most guys are gonna run one size spotter. The weight you mind carrying might be the line that others draw. The ATS 65 with WA eyepiece would be the weight conscious route to go

Decker9

WKR
Another good option is the Pentax 65. I switched to the Swarovski ats 65, in all honesty, the difference looking through the two is next to nil. The Pentax will save weight and $$. In my experience in goat hunting, at a distance, I’m looking at body structure more so then horn size. The swarvo does pick up a tad more detail, in which when counting annuli on sheep, it shows its perks. But 99% of the time, my Pentax will do what my swarvo will do.