New Gun Dog!

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

I’ve been running GSPS for about 50 years. With every new dog I’ve wondered when they would quit driving me crazy.

I do worry a little about my dogs while I’m guiding in Alaska, I have to kennel them during the day, they go bat sh** crazy when I let them out but seem content with a 200 yard radius around the lodge. They love chasing and barking at bears. Enjoy your pup, they are great dogs.

A a first timer, glad to hear it's not just me! I know exercise is always keep to a calmer, trainable dog, but sometimes I wonder if all the time I'm able to spend is just trying to exercise/tire him out!

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys were are an active family year round and would like a hunting dog with a nose for things. I just don't want to have to be always on the lookout for them camping and around the house wondering if they disappeared. The dogs intrest me but sounds like they could be an adventure which could be fun and rewarding.

Russp17

WKR
My experience so far, and from hearing from two other gsp owners in the area is that GSPs are far ranging dogs. If you let them off leash in the bush, hopefully you have a gps collar unless their recall is excellent.

They are food, scent, and game motivated, so yes, if they see/smell something, they will investigate. If you don't have a fence, good luck!

Mine stays in the yard, but if the gate is open and left to his own devices, he'll take a lap of the block.

We were slightly unprepared for the amount of energy a gsp has. Mine is still un-neutered and a pup, but I can run him throwing a ball for over an hour straight and once home he will still be pacing around the house. Daily exercise is a must, and if you have an outdoor kennel/run that would be great. Kenneling in a crate all day everyday will make them slowly insane and it will be like unleashing a hurricane!

It is unleashing a hurricane. They have a lot of energy. I take mine for an hour walk off leash in the morning, and run or bike ride at night. It is the only way to keep him ok....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Hunter

WKR
Super excited to pick up my first gun dog this weekend, a GSP pup! Anybody have any tips or tricks? I ordered a load of gun dog training books, lots of good info out there. Going to train him to be versatile, pointing birds, tracking, etc.
Google Cornerstone gun dog academy if you want to train it properly on your own. Money well spent.

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

Google Cornerstone gun dog academy if you want to train it properly on your own. Money well spent.

Thanks had a look...looks to be retriever based, not pointing unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

PA Hunter

WKR
They have plenty of pointers that are trained I see their post all the time from members. They have these modules that you complete and also a Facebook Community with allot of professionals. You can also visit their site for a free trial sample. You can also call them and inquire about training a pointer I am completely impressed with their operation. They even do live facebook seminars with questions and answers in real time.

Billinsd

WKR
Perfection kennels is a great diy dvd training system. Most important is to be consistent with a dog. GSPs are my favorite hunting dogs. I bought a Diggler Dirt Dawg scooter that my dog pulls me around the neighborhood in. I don't know how I would exercise him, otherwise.
Bill