New hunter, WY vs MT to generating points

Alvin

FNG
Hello
I'm a new hunter from eastern Canada, and I'm gonna start applying and generating points in one of the US states for antelope and elk.
I'm currently looking at either Wyoming or Montana. From what I understand, MT may offer units with better land access to nr hunters with lower points. Also, I think that WY has a true pp system, but MT's system is a bit different?
Any advise will be greatly appreciated!
Happy new year!!!

johnsd16

WKR
For antelope WY hands down. You can plan a hunt better due to the true PP system in WY. If you want to just hunt elk just get the general tag in MT, or build points in WY for a general tag and hunt an area every 3 yrs or so. The MT general tag for elk opens up a lot of area and requires 0-1 PP. if you do both, gain elk hunting experience in MT on the general tag and hunt 3-6 times in MT while building points in WY then cash in for a good tag in WY down the road and go in better prepared to make the most of it.

OP
A

Alvin

FNG
For antelope WY hands down. You can plan a hunt better due to the true PP system in WY. If you want to just hunt elk just get the general tag in MT, or build points in WY for a general tag and hunt an area every 3 yrs or so. The MT general tag for elk opens up a lot of area and requires 0-1 PP. if you do both, gain elk hunting experience in MT on the general tag and hunt 3-6 times in MT while building points in WY then cash in for a good tag in WY down the road and go in better prepared to make the most of it.
Thanks a lot for this information!

OFFHNTN

WKR

Good post.
IF I had to chose only one, I would pick WY for antelope.

Skip MT. The antelope numbers have been down since 2011 and for whatever reason, do not seem to be recovering well.

WY does a great job with antelope management. If I didn't live in MT, I'd go to WY for antelope.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming for sure. Montana does not manage for quality & the public land is more fragmented than most of Wyoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk