New Invention - Big Dripper - Bleeder Assistant

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
This is a new invention just now hitting the market. There was a lot of research and testing put into this before making it available.

Read the site and watch the video. Looks like it would be most applicable for youth archery hunters and those using trad equipment, and just generally anyone being cautious on non-pass through hits.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.bloodhoundhunting.com

Actually BackPack Hunter, I read it to be 58 grains in the insert at the front of the arrow. If that is the case then I don't understand the sales pitch. All in one paragraph they seem to say that arrow pass through is a bad thing, that we should want to keep the arrow in the cavity with no exit wound so that it keeps cutting, and at the same time a heavier tipped arrow will hit with more "punch" and better penetration. Seems like a reason for more "punch" and higher FOC is better penetration to create an exit wound and/or pass through. Sounds like counter-productive technology selling for $16 each.

Also, I would like to see a literature cited list for all of the studies that show wounding loss rates in bowhunting. I was not aware that they all showed 50%+ wounding loss.

I'm not knocking a guy for trying to market a solution but I prefer education, shooting skills practice and proper restraint in the field. I know a lot of people that kill and recover animals at much greater than a 50% rate, youth, women and traditional hunters included.

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
58 grains on the backside of the arrow seems like a lot.

It's 58 on the front. It will move your FOC forward, slow your arrow down, increase pin gap and increase KE.

I think citing the research is a good idea, as well. I did not pick up on the idea that a pass through was a less advantageous shot.

I must have read it all wrong then. FOC generally does increase penetration so it would seem we have a product working against itself.
I tend to disagree with the 50% loss rate, but I'm willing to admit I'm wrong given the data says otherwise.

jmez

WKR
I don't take it is intended to be working against itself. I took it as a passthrough is better but when you don't get one this product would help with recovery. It also should help in achieving a pass through as it will up FOC, momentum (moreso than KE) and penetration.

I still think it is a gimmick for a couple of reasons. Arrows inside of animals don't do a lot of collateral damage after the initial hit. They are in a lubricated media with elastic tissues. As the animal runs the entire arrow moves with the animal, it isn't like it is going in/out, up/down, back and forth all over the place. Just not enough force to do much additional damage. You head also is not as sharp after going through hide, hair and most likely bone if you don't have a pass through.

You made a good shot or you didn't. A good shot in the vitals is going to result in a dead animal in short order. You can find these with no blood trail. A poorly shot animal isn't going to result in enough blood to force a consistent amount of blood out of the nock end of an arrow. Blood trail will still be spotty at best and unless the arrow is pointing straight out or downward, there likely will be no extra blood.

Hit em in the pumphouse they die fast. Hit em in the guts they die slow, don't bump them and you will find them. Hit them anywhere but these two spots and you won't find them, very few will die and a channeled outsert won't make a difference.