New Kuiu Strongfleece mid layers

Bazookas

FNG
Interested to get some more experienced thoughts on the new Kuiu strongfleece mid layers (190, 235, 275). I think they just came out this week so I don't imagine many, if any, have had their hands on them yet. Any initial thoughts though?

I’m not clear on the difference vs. the discontinued versions. The layering pant looks like a good option under waders.

Yes I am interested in seeing what the improvements are... I know a lot of people complained about the forearms being real tight but that's really all I can think of. Would like to see them post a video on what and why they made the changes.

Those pants might just be what I was looking for during the late season tree stand hunting. I just wonder how warm they really are but the hip vents make it look perfect for me when walking in.

TheTone

WKR
No experience with the strongfleece; is it basically just a tougher version of the peleton or other similar mid layer fleeces?

I had older version and although I liked it the tight weave just didn't breath that well for a fleece layer. The stuff is tough as nails and warm though.

Having all three of the previous version, and being much more partial to the 260 then either of the other two, it makes me wonder where one of these would fit into my system. I'm definitely intrigued, because the SF line is one of my favorites.

ChrisAU

WKR
I was ready to pounce on an ash brown XL 190 until I saw that they dropped the kangaroo pocket and somehow its a bit heavier. Weird.

OP
B

Bazookas

FNG
According to Kuiu CS, it sounds like the only measurable difference I can discern are the base material weight, lighter material in specific areas for breathability, hood and hem cinches, along with the fit being more tapered. Each piece may have some nuances, but I was asking specifically about the 275 vs the 280. Sounds like the face fabric is unchanged.

jd1006

WKR
I’ve used most of the older Strongfleece layers. It’s too bad they don’t bring back the Kutana Hybrid 3defx…basically strong fleece with a light layer of insulation. Didn’t suffer the same problems with durability that mid layers usually struggle with, and it had a touch of synthetic insulation that dried fast. I think it was just misunderstood.

I think FL Origin fleece is a much better version of what the Strongfleece is trying to solve.

Also, on the strongfleece pants, I don’t think I’d like mesh under the zips. I think the SG Helio layer has that figured out in a better way and if it was really cold, the Sitka Gradient Pant or FL Origin Pant are better.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used most of the older Strongfleece layers. It’s too bad they don’t bring back the Kutana Hybrid 3defx…basically strong fleece with a light layer of insulation. Didn’t suffer the same problems with durability that mid layers usually struggle with, and it had a touch of synthetic insulation that dried fast. I think it was just misunderstood.

I think FL Origin fleece is a much better version of what the Strongfleece is trying to solve.

Also, on the strongfleece pants, I don’t think I’d like mesh under the zips. I think the SG Helio layer has that figured out in a better way and if it was really cold, the Sitka Gradient Pant or FL Origin Pant are better.
Ya that kutana hybrid had my attention except it was pricey. Never understood why it was nearly the price of the kenai jacket. I get what it was for though. Now they the axis thermal hybrid.

mcseal2

WKR
The old Peloton 240 hoody is one of my favorite layers ever. I used the heck out of it around the ranch and hunting. The zippers wore out on the 2 I use on the ranch, but they had a lot of days before they gave up. The camo ones are still going strong. After the zippers went out on the solid color 240's I went to a FL Kiln hoody with a Kuiu 200 quarter zip fleece or a FL Ridgeline QZ over it for work, fishing, etc. Sometimes I wear both and put my old Sitka Jetstream vest over top when it's colder. I like my hunting layers for work when temps and activity levels fluctuate a lot, plus it helps me fine tune my layers for season. All the different brands have to get along too at my place too, I like sale or last year's model pricing especially for work stuff.

I really like that Kutana hybrid jacket as well. It has been to AK with me twice and I use it a lot around home too. That thing over a FL merino wick hoody or the 240 was just right for a lot of my hunts. It wasn't to warm for moderate hiking, and layered well under my puffy for another insulation layer. If my main puffy was down filled, having that synthetic layer was a little added insurance against moisture too. I liked how often I was wearing it as opposed to carrying it in my pack.

I haven't tried any of the newer strongfleece stuff, my old stuff still works to well for me to buy it. I read about the tight forearms and that doesn't work well for me either.

2-Stix

WKR
Interested to get some more experienced thoughts on the new Kuiu strongfleece mid layers (190, 235, 275). I think they just came out this week so I don't imagine many, if any, have had their hands on them yet. Any initial thoughts though?

They been out for months almost a year. I have the old versions, yes they are tight on the forearms. I do use the 210 still and love the kangaroo pouches. We hunt tough brush. I sold the 260 it was to tight on the forearms and now have the 235 its replacement and I like it. These are tough, not highly breathable like a grid fleece fabric.

Last edited:

bowshot2

FNG
the strongfleece 290 from the waterfowl line is my favorite piece so far, just ordered the pants. The jacket worn on its own, or layered as needed with a vest or under the axis jacket got me through the fall easily, but it was quite a bit milder than usual.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I have the older version 260 or something was not warm at all to me but I didn’t use it as it was intended I sat in a tree maybe if I was a western guy it would work better as it breaths pretty well or lets the wind in I should say… does run small I got the XL and still tight in a xl in all kuiu large in Sitka and first lite but use xl in all there jackets…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk