New Mexico 16B Drop Camp or horse / llama rental?

I was lucky enough to draw a 16B archery elk tag, 2nd season (9/15 - 9/24) in New Mexico. I've searched through the forums for info relating to outfitters and drop camps in unit 16B in New Mexico but haven't found much. I tried Becky Campbell with Gila Hot Springs Ranch and she said she has retired. Searching online and I can't seem to find any outfitter that even offers drop camps in 16B, is it really that uncommon? I'm working my way through some recommendations I've seen in my searches but so far I'm not finding much. I've done 3 DIY elk trips in Colorado and come up empty handed, so I'm used to that, but I'd rather DIY than go guided if I can manage, thats why I thought a drop camp would be a good compromise. I'm from IA so traveling to NM to scout in person probably isn't going to happen. Is there anyone that rents horses or llamas for the DIY guy? I can't seem to find anyone that offers that either. Any advice would be appreciated, feel free to PM me.

codym

WKR
Most outfitters are too busy guiding hunters to offer drop camps. I wish I could offer you some suggestions but I don’t know any outfitters that are offering it as an option anymore, I’m sure someone will. Keep calling and I’m sure you will find someone but also be leery, if you are depending on them to pack your meat out, they need to be able to get you out quickly there is a very short window for spoilage in September

575 ELK

FNG
Those Archery tags in that unit don’t come along very often especially for a non res.
The drop camp can get squirrely. The outfitter going to pack you in can get a call for a fully guided hunt or hunts for the same time, gets real busy and then you’re out and the money hunts are in.

I know some guys don’t want an outfitter and think DIY is the only way to go but in that unit with that tag with that big country I’d be thinking hard about a local outfitter with horses and knowledge of the country and the elk. Good luck on your hunt !

OP
S
Most outfitters are too busy guiding hunters to offer drop camps. I wish I could offer you some suggestions but I don’t know any outfitters that are offering it as an option anymore, I’m sure someone will. Keep calling and I’m sure you will find someone but also be leery, if you are depending on them to pack your meat out, they need to be able to get you out quickly there is a very short window for spoilage in September
Yeah, its getting the meat out that makes me nervous. Thanks for the help. I'll keep contacting guides and see what I can find.

505Wapiti

WKR
Myself and a couple buddies did a drop camp once in16B. We hiked/hunted into the gps location where all of our stuff was supposed to be dropped to find nothing. After searching through 2/3 of the day and not finding it we finally got ahold of the packer via a rented sat phone and he say's his guys gave us the wrong coordinates. With new coordinates we realize we are only miles in the wrong direction... if you know anything about that unit, this isn't desirable by any means. We finally found our stuff around 9:30 that night and had minimal gear on us all day, as we had packed as much as possible on horses and mules. I'm sure that doesn't happen often, but it was miserable. Just something to think about!

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I was there 20+ years ago. Had an agreement with an outfitter (No longer in business) to pack out meat (If/when I put one on the ground). (No sat or inreach back in those days). Ended up packing meat out on backs. Logistics (70+ deg day) it didn't make sense trying to connect with wrangler. Inreach would be a must. (I suspect cell service has not improved) Monster country. Big and tough (I believe it is the largest tract of wilderness in lower 48)

Good luck. 20+ years later, it is still holds special memories.

Sibbyu

FNG

Gary Webb is getting out of full outfitting and is now just doing drop camps. He calls them Elk Advantage hunts. I drew first season 16B using his outfitter number and will do the Elk Advantage Plus because he is required to stay with me for 2 days.