New Mexico Barbary sheep

Austin Kaufman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone,
I drew a good tag for NM Barbary sheep. I am planning on going down for a scouting trip or two this fall since my tag is for February. Looking at the maps there is obviously not many close towns. If you have went down for one of these hunts how did you camp? Camper, truck base camp, backpack style hunting? Also any other tips for logistics would be great. Planning on taking plenty of extra fuel and water as well since it’s so secluded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done a couple of these hunts and a buddy drew a similar tag this year. We will be going down in February as well. With that said we’ve truck camped with tents both times because access with roads is good. I definitely suggest an atv or utv because a lot of the little roads suck. A back pack hunt would be fun but tough as there is not much water down there so all water would have to be hauled in. But it would be possible.
We never wanted to be limited to where we camped, or less limited, so we left the campers at home because like I said a lot of the roads are terrible.

OP
Austin Kaufman

Austin Kaufman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done a couple of these hunts and a buddy drew a similar tag this year. We will be going down in February as well. With that said we’ve truck camped with tents both times because access with roads is good. I definitely suggest an atv or utv because a lot of the little roads suck. A back pack hunt would be fun but tough as there is not much water down there so all water would have to be hauled in. But it would be possible.
We never wanted to be limited to where we camped, or less limited, so we left the campers at home because like I said a lot of the roads are terrible.

Awesome! Kinda what I was wondering. Thank you for insight!

OP
Austin Kaufman

Austin Kaufman

Lil-Rokslider
What unit?

queen nm or dell city are nice

The town that’s even relatively close is las cruses. I’m a FNG so didn’t want to post the unit. Not the “coveted” unit but it’s a close second I hear!

WILDMULEY

FNG
Also drew a Barbary sheep tag in New Mexico. Trying to decide between taking a sxs and use a tent or take a camp trailer and get around in a truck. Seems like it’s more weather dependent down there from what I hear.

Felix40

WKR
The town that’s even relatively close is las cruses. I’m a FNG so didn’t want to post the unit. Not the “coveted” unit but it’s a close second I hear!

You may have your lines crossed. There’s not really any sheep around Las Cruces.

Either way. I would just sleep in the back of the truck or tent camp at the truck. Backpacking is hard without water sources. Pulling a camper around on those roads is doable but slow going.

OP
Austin Kaufman

Austin Kaufman

Lil-Rokslider
You may have your lines crossed. There’s not really any sheep around Las Cruces.

Either way. I would just sleep in the back of the truck or tent camp at the truck. Backpacking is hard without water sources. Pulling a camper around on those roads is doable but slow going.

Yeah I was just saying that’s about the only town way down that way for miles. Pretty much all in the middle of nowhere. Looking like truck camping to me for the most part and bringing water and fuel as well. Thanks for the insight!

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I had a January tag last year. I would 100% recommend tent camping from your truck. We did ours in a Davis Wall Tent with the stove obviously. It can be brutally cold with wind and snow that time of year. We saw temps in the high teens with a few inches of snow the first day. It could also be like 60 and sunny.

Definitely bring a sxs or atvs for the roads you can’t or don’t want to take a truck down. Plenty of those.

OP
Austin Kaufman

Austin Kaufman

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I had a January tag last year. I would 100% recommend tent camping from your truck. We did ours in a Davis Wall Tent with the stove obviously. It can be brutally cold with wind and snow that time of year. We saw temps in the high teens with a few inches of snow the first day. It could also be like 60 and sunny.

Definitely bring a sxs or atvs for the roads you can’t or don’t want to take a truck down. Plenty of those.

Awesome! Great insight thank you!