New Mexico Camp Thieves

Jaker_cc

WKR
I’ve read a few posts and heard from a few different people that have had their camps broken into while hunting in Northern NM. Gear stolen, truck windows smashed and ransacked, all kinds of horror stories. I’m sure most people are good folks and would just pass a camp by, but if truck camping and heading out every morning how do you keep your camp safe while you are away?

Not sure there is a good way other than hiding it. I always camp inside the treeline out of eyesight, as far as truck, if they blow a window out at a trailhead theres not much you can do. Tents cut with a knife if locked.
I tend to have to much faith in humanity.
Any units in perticular?
Ive hunted 50 and 53 with zero issues, lots of friendly people and i parked on the highway by red river and hiked into Carson for 2 days. No issues yet, going back this year so i hope its not worse.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Its hard to keep camp safe other than the obvious of not leaving expensive gear or guns behind. One thing I do is put up trail cameras around so at least there will be some footage for law enforcement. I worry about expensive coolers so I pad and cable lock them to the truck. But that only keeps honest people honest really....

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Not sure there is a good way other than hiding it. I always camp inside the treeline out of eyesight, as far as truck, if they blow a window out at a trailhead theres not much you can do. Tents cut with a knife if locked.
I tend to have to much faith in humanity.
Any units in perticular?
Ive hunted 50 and 53 with zero issues, lots of friendly people and i parked on the highway by red river and hiked into Carson for 2 days. No issues yet, going back this year so i hope its not worse.

No a couple different units but both near Taos.

If it’s gonna happen, it’s gonna happen. New Mexico is notorious for petty theft, I’ve had my truck broken into three times in Abq the last three years when traveling up there. The last two times was I was parked in my dads driveway, they look for out of state plates especially. I take everything out before I go only leaving proof of insurance. When hunting all of my hunting gear is stored in lockable range boxes that are tied down and locked into the bed of my truck but somebody with hours and a pair of bolt cutters will eventually beat it. Make it as hard as possible and hope for the best.

However, just think of the possibilities of a new tag for New Mexico... the free-range thief. Set your camp up, don’t worry about the wind and range it around a hundred for a can’t miss shot. Don’t even have to worry about field dressing other than digging the bullet out maybe...

Av

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
If it’s gonna happen, it’s gonna happen. New Mexico is notorious for petty theft, I’ve had my truck broken into three times in Abq the last three years when traveling up there. The last two times was I was parked in my dads driveway, they look for out of state plates especially. I take everything out before I go only leaving proof of insurance. When hunting all of my hunting gear is stored in lockable range boxes that are tied down and locked into the bed of my truck but somebody with hours and a pair of bolt cutters will eventually beat it. Make it as hard as possible and hope for the best.

However, just think of the possibilities of a new tag for New Mexico... the free-range thief. Set your camp up, don’t worry about the wind and range it around a hundred for a can’t miss shot. Don’t even have to worry about field dressing other than digging the bullet out maybe...

Av

Yeah that’s what needs to happen.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Game and fish should do a bait camp. Kind of like the bait car show. I hate thieves more than anything, one of the main reasons I hate going to Abq. to visit my brother and sisters. If the court system wouldn’t hang me for it I’d set up my own bait camp and wait patiently while the thieves ran sacked my whole camp and then shoot every damn one of them with 00 buck

Game and fish should do a bait camp. Kind of like the bait car show. I hate thieves more than anything, one of the main reasons I hate going to Abq. to visit my brother and sisters. If the court system wouldn’t hang me for it I’d set up my own bait camp and wait patiently while the thieves ran sacked my whole camp and then shoot every damn one of them with 00 buck

Modern problems require modern solutions lol

mtn

FNG
Setting up a few trail cameras to watch your stuff is probably the bare minimum you'd want to do. Just don't set your nice cameras or else you'll regret it when those get stolen, too.

The only place I can say I’ve heard of this is in the truchas area in unit 45.
I have a friend in Dixon who lets me park at his house and then shuttles me to various trailheads throughout the Unit.
I have a second season deer tag this year and hopefully this isn’t the straw that broke the camels back

dtrkyman

WKR
I have heard of it in unit 51, I elk hunted there a few years ago and had no issues. One time I had a local approach me while I was headed out fly fishing up near Chama, he basically said locals only in that particular area.

We had a long chat and I told him I lived part of the year in NM. but was not a resident, he seemed ok after the talk but was almost run off thinking he may mess with my rig, I took pics of his truck before heading to the river just in case, nothing happened though.

Fatcamp

WKR
I have heard of it in unit 51, I elk hunted there a few years ago and had no issues. One time I had a local approach me while I was headed out fly fishing up near Chama, he basically said locals only in that particular area.

We had a long chat and I told him I lived part of the year in NM. but was not a resident, he seemed ok after the talk but was almost run off thinking he may mess with my rig, I took pics of his truck before heading to the river just in case, nothing happened though.

Prime example of why I no longer go to New Mexico. Nothing good to say about it.

Rich M

WKR

Sadly, that happens everywhere.

We were looking at listed property and had 2 young men come down to confront me. One had a club and the other a fish spear. I was a little bewildered by their aggressive behavior. Told em the land was listed for sale and that we were looking to see if we wanted to buy it. They changed their tune and put the weapons down once they knew why we were there. Never knew both wife and I were carrying.

It's good if you live there, bad if you don't.

The only place I can say I’ve heard of this is in the truchas area in unit 45.
I have a friend in Dixon who lets me park at his house and then shuttles me to various trailheads throughout the Unit.
I have a second season deer tag this year and hopefully this isn’t the straw that broke the camels back

Does the theft in Unit 45 Campgrounds still seem to be a problem ?

I hate walking away from my truck and gear as well.

I have only had good experiences in the northern part of the unit. I’ve never been a part of the trailheads around trouchas, but that area is where I’ve heard of the most vandalism.
I would think the east side could be similar as it’s very remote also, but I don’t want to put that on a place I’ve never heard or experienced myself.
Good luck

Maybe you should buy a New Mexico license plate for your vehicle while parked at camp. I think that might help.