New Mexico first season archery rut elk hunt. Let’s chat

Killed my first elk in 2016 in NM. We were there first archery. Elk were almost completely silent but we called one in that my brother shot on the second day. I killed mine on the last evening. Just happened to be where he was going pushing a few cows. He bugled 3 times while coming down the mountain. Get excited!!!

00ba2a3d275829c3290bbf3e7ad4c58b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

landondenton

FNG
Classified Approved
Killed my first elk in 2016 in NM. We were there first archery. Elk were almost completely silent but we called one in that my brother shot on the second day. I killed mine on the last evening. Just happened to be where he was going pushing a few cows. He bugled 3 times while coming down the mountain. Get excited!!!

00ba2a3d275829c3290bbf3e7ad4c58b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love that little extra between g-2 and g-3 great bull. I’m already excited. Long next couple of months lol

LBSpear30

FNG
Heads up;

I Hunting a mediocre unit in northern New Mexico last year and we ran into two seprrate groups of guys that had their camps completely stolen, one guy lost thousands of dollars worth of nice gear.

Granted the unit we hunted is a very depressed area where poaching is just a way to put food on the table.... which doesnt help the hunting either.

I don’t know what a guy can do to protect his camp while he’s away but just be advised.

—-
Mind sharing what unit?

I know things are tough in Chama right now, an area that depends on tourism. The Cumbres & Toltec Train that travels from Antonito to Chama hasn't been running, the restaurants are all but closed, and the hotels and motels are empty. I am hoping hunting season will bring some badly needed funds to the folks there.

Gila

WKR
Things are tough all over. We are surrounded by red states because they opened too soon. Our governor was the health director so she has a clue of what to do. She has done a good job so far.
I drew unit 34, which is around Cloudcroft, it borders the Mescalero Apache reservation. Should be a good year. We shall see

Elk numbers are up in 34. There is CWD there so watch the regs for what you can take out. Very dry this spring. There are a number of tricks on the springs. Problem is some of the springs dry up in August.All in all, I think you have a great chance for a great hunt....congrats on your draw.

OP
L

landondenton

FNG
Classified Approved
Things are tough all over. We are surrounded by red states because they opened too soon. Our governor was the health director so she has a clue of what to do. She has done a good job so far.

Elk numbers are up in 34. There is CWD there so watch the regs for what you can take out. Very dry this spring. There are a number of tricks on the springs. Problem is some of the springs dry up in August.All in all, I think you have a great chance for a great hunt....congrats on your draw.
I’ve guided in New Mexico full time for a few years. 34 is my back door. I’m from Alamogordo. Work in the oil patch in Carlsbad now. I just made this post to chat about New Mexico elk hunting and see what others drew and what they think of the year so far.

OP
L

landondenton

FNG
Classified Approved
I wouldn't go that far. We clearly have the most liberal governor in the country who can't wait to be Bidens running mate. We currently also boast the most restrictions in place regarding Covid despite having low Covid #'s......
Definitely not. Our governor is by far top of list for one of worst if not worst in the country. Hope it’s don’t come crashing down again before hunting season

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I drew 2nd Season Archery in 16A, mines guided though and I have never been down there. Fingers are crossed it's a great season.

Gila

WKR
I drew 2nd Season Archery in 16A, mines guided though and I have never been down there. Fingers are crossed it's a great season.
My hunt is first rifle. You are going to love it down here! We have had a couple of good rains come through this week. Lincoln NF got alot of rain. The tanks are filling up in the 16s. You will need to pack good light weight rain gear. Usually the mornings in September are calm and sunny with usual slight updrafts. Mid-afternoon could get brief rain storms but they don't last long. Check with your outfitter about archery gear. I bring a bowmaster, set of strings, tools to put in a peep and replace a d-loop. You get the picture. I am excited about the hunt and I live here! (y)

Puttncut

FNG
Looking forward to my first hunt in New Mexico...had driven thru 51 multiple times over the years to hunt SW Colorado. Second archery - the moon will be perfect at least. Had read and been warned by several sources about camp theft. Ordered a lockable truck topper today...will make for an inconvenient camp and nervous hunting...but what the hell. Have dreamed of this elk hunt all my life...and I'm running out of time. Will carry a couple fly rods along just in case.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Good grass starting & lots of healthy calves this year. Come self contained,self sufficient . Follow proticols.
Seen some bulls that would work...
Come on monsoons!!

vthokee

WKR
I always try and hunt the first archery. The last 5-6 years the bulls have not been as vocal as they were in early years

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I scouted the last week of first archery and hunted second archery last year. It seemed a lot easier to elk to respond to calls in first season. They seemed to herd up right around the start of second season.