New Mexico Javalina

jburman

FNG
I don't see much on here about them, so wanted to share my New Mexico javelina. Used a solid copper Federal Premium V-Shok .22-250, which blew straight through him at 150 yards. He was a fun and different critter to hunt, and, for me, more of a novelty since less than 20 pounds of meat is not worth more than 700 miles round trip. Going to finish cleaning up the skull and make a euro mount from it. If I lived closer to their range, I would absolutely hunt again, and if you're ever in their area, I would recommend it. A lot of people told me they taste horrible, but the wife and I both like it, it's not overly gamey, and we just slow cooked a full shoulder in the crock pot. Maybe the people with bad tasting meat just didn't do a good job cutting it up and hit the musk gland. Happy to answer any questions, though I'm only a half step above FNG with these guys.

Attachments

• photo_2023-02-18_18-14-39.jpg
    photo_2023-02-18_18-14-39.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 98

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Nice peccary! This is on my list to do in Arizona too.

I’ve killed a pile of them(in TX), just have to be careful with that back gland.

we usually just make taco’s out of them pulled pork style

CAM_D

FNG
I really enjoy bowhunting them and have taken 3. I usually get an OTC tag to align with my January deer hunt, but they did away with that rule this year. My 10 year old drew the youth tag for next year and it should be a lot of fun. Nice Oryx in your profile too. 2 of my kids drew off range this July. One of them who is now 16 took one off range when he was 13.

Attachments

• javelina 2023.jpg
    javelina 2023.jpg
    814.3 KB · Views: 42
  • javelina 2023_1.jpg
    javelina 2023_1.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 42

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I really want to shoot a javey…on my list. I’m a long way from where they live though.

We bowhunt or muzzy hunt them every spring in AZ. Great time of the year and cool country.

chemist

FNG
I used to archery hunt them in AZ. They are an excellent animal to spot and stalk archery hunt. They travel in herds so a snapping twig doesn't bother them like it bothers a whitetail. They have poor vision so if you get caught in the open you can freeze and they will think you are a cactus. Mind the wind and you can sneak within easy archery range.

They occupy pretty warm areas and I think a lot of people don't get them skinned and gutted fast enough to cool the carcass off. If you do that and mind the glands I think they taste fine and are probably my favorite animal to archery hunt. Too bad I live in the north now.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Family has a boatload of them on the ranch in AZ, was pretty bummed out to find out that I have to draw a tag for them, but it’s easy to draw, they are goofy little suckers! Loved seeing them for the first time last year! Stalked into bow range on a few, which was fun

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Family has a boatload of them on the ranch in AZ, was pretty bummed out to find out that I have to draw a tag for them, but it’s easy to draw, they are goofy little suckers! Loved seeing them for the first time last year! Stalked into bow range on a few, which was fun
They can't see worth a shit. People who startle them think they are charging them, when in reality they are just running helter skelter to get away. Damn stink pigs.

sgowda

FNG
I really enjoy bowhunting them and have taken 3. I usually get an OTC tag to align with my January deer hunt, but they did away with that rule this year. My 10 year old drew the youth tag for next year and it should be a lot of fun. Nice Oryx in your profile too. 2 of my kids drew off range this July. One of them who is now 16 took one off range when he was 13.
Fun!! How did that taste ?