new offering from Nunatak that might be of interest

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I contacted Jan a couple of months ago about building a lightweight, zipless sleeping bag (not quilt). I was targeting a 30-ish degree bag.

Here's what Jan came up with, the Sastrugi (snow eroded into ridges by wind)- like all of Nunatak's offerings it's very customizable- length, fabric, fill, etc

https://nunatakusa.com/home/222-sastrugi.html

Mine has 12 oz of 900+ down fill w/ 10d fabric inside and out and weighs a svelte 17.9 oz, that's at 74" length. I'm 5'11", but like the extra length to pull over my head if need be.

I will admit that I was a wee bit concerned with no zip, mostly worried about getting in/out- that is now completely a non-issue- it's easy. I got to test drive it on a very fast paced tour around the Wonderland Trail this past September and loved it!

Three of the four nights, temps only dropped into the 40's, but one night it was in the freezing range and I was snug as a bug :)

I've owned numerous quilts (and still own a few), but I've also had to deal with plenty of draft issues (and that's going with wide width quilts)- no draft issues w/ a bag.

Like all of Nunatak's offerings, you can see the attention to fit/finish in it- it exudes high quality.

Drawbacks? If you find yourself in a lot of warmer conditions (I don't), then you obviously you could have issues w/ dissipating heat. Although one night it was probably in the upper 50's/low 60's when I went to bed and I just threw it over the top of me until I needed to get into it

Definitely not for everyone (as clearly stated on Nunatak's site- "if you need this, you will know"), but for someone looking for a very low fuss, low weight bag- might just be the ticket :D

z4jljvu.jpg

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Just received my Custom Sastrugi and couldn’t be happier with the result. The overall experience from time of initially reaching out to Nunatak (Jan) and receipt of quilt was amazing. For me the fiddle factor of preventing drafts in cooler weather in a quilt made this bag an easy decision to try and am expecting it to work very well over the coming years.

Last edited:

Mudd Foot

WKR
Could either of you please comment on two separate items:
1. the temp rating compared the expectation, and
2. Shoulder width you ordered.

Am waiting for the site to go live again and am trying to make informed decisions.

Thanks,

Mudd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say mine is a rock solid 30F - I don't think I sleep overly warm or cold; this is with a light base layer top, merino boxers and light beanie

my bag was spec'd at 74" long, 62" at the shoulders and 40" at the foot- I'm 5'11" 180 athletic build, have plenty fo room and can easily layers a puffy in there if called for

I went a little longer so it could be pulled up high when needed

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say mine is a solid 20F (possibly 15F). I’m vertically challenged at 5’4” and 145lbs and the bag has 16.4oz of 900FP (untreated down), weighs 22oz, and is 66” long, 60” at the shoulders and tapers to 54” at the hips and has a 38” footbox. It has more than enough room for layering and vents easily by keeping the top open fully.
I’ve found it easier to slide in and out of the bag at night vs using a zipper and worrying about snagging the fabric.
This type of bag isn’t for everyone but it works for me.
Cheers