New Pack for Less Weight Obsessed Hunter

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
I currently run the KUIU 5500 pack. It has served me somewhat nicely. Better than my previous Tenzing. I am transitioning away from obsessing over ultralight weight and more toward durability (I understand with a big budget I can achieve both but not interested).

Within reason I am ok with adding some weight to my pack for more piece of mind with durability. Next will be tents, UL tents are no fun in any sort of weather. I am looking between Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exo. I would love to hear people's experience with any of those brands. Feel free to compare though backpacks are very user specific.

Which is my best bang for my buck?

Some added details: max 3-5 day backcountry hunts, 3-5 miles in steep terrain, many single day excursions, packing out anything from pig to blacktail to cow elk (in my 2020 plan).

Take a look at seek outside. No personal experience with their packs (other gear is great) but I was very impressed with their weights relative to their hauling capacity.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am sure any of those three manufacturers will provide adequate products with great warranties. I know out of those three, I have an Exo and love it but didn't try the other two and trying to avoid them because it is a bit of an addiction to try new gear to see if it is better than what you already have. Buy all three and return the two you don't like. Good luck with your quest.

mt100gr.

WKR
I've gone from the very modular, lots of pockets and organization (and heavier) to the single big bag lightweight to modified DIY frankenpacks that were even lighter (no organization) and now circled back to appreciating convenience and organization regardless of the included weight penalty.

Ive had multiple kifaru packs, Stone glacier packs, and seek outside packs. I still have more than I should but lately I have been enjoying my Kifaru 44mag an awful lot. It's a very well thought out design and convenience is great. I really want to try the Exo 4800 for the same reasons.

Any of the big names' packs will be a great product. I'd look at the bags and think about the features you like and use the most and go from there.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Any of the big names' packs will be a great product. I'd look at the bags and think about the features you like and use the most and go from there.

This. If you ask 10 people on here what pack to get youll probably end up with 10 people telling you what pack they have. Decide what features and pockets you liked on your kuiu and what you wished it had or what you never used. If youre looking at kifaru, exo, sg, or seek outside youll end up with a good pack.

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
For a pack, if you don’t care about being ultralight you can’t beat Kifaru. I’ve beat the hell out of my duplex and reckoning for 4 years and there isn’t a single pulled stitch.

Yeah, there is no secret sauce where one of those is better than the other. Definitely put Seek Outside with that list. My first higher end pack and bags was Kifaru and from there I went to SO and that is where I am currently quite happy. That said the Kifaru pack was great and although my SO Fortress 6300 is what works for my it isn't necessary because its inherently a better pack - it just best checked the boxes of what I want and where/how I hunt. I have no doubt the same goes for EXO and Stone. You'll need to try a few on (or try to that can be easier said than done!), consider weight, materials, features, and pick which speaks to you. If you are lucky you'll be very happy with it or perhaps after a few years you'll decide to try something else. Enjoy the ride!

Marble

WKR
I do not have expereince with anything but kifaru for the good packs. They are the MVPs of my trips. I used to always have back, shoulder and neck pain from the various backs due to poor design, collapsing underload and poor fitment. That doesnt happen anymore. But that has more to do with Kifarus frame than anything else I beleive.

There are guys that are friends of mine that make fun of me for having a Kifaru because they are not "ultralight". And I could give a shit because those guys dont go miles into the mountains, kill something and then pack it out. Their backpack that weighs 2 to 3 pounds less empty will leave them crying on the mountain (or at the truck) because they are ruined after putting a load in it.

I think anyone could be happy with any of the top pack makers. Pretty rare someone doesnt like them or has any real complaints.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
If you want light, go with Stone Glacier. If you want durable, go with Kifaru. Honestly, owning both, I’d say you can’t go wrong either way.

Trial153

WKR
If weight isn’t a factor then you have no need to look at anything other then kifaru and mystery ranch.

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Stone Glacier 40/56.

Durable and 4lbs on the Krux frame.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Owning several of the top shelf packs personally, if I had to do it on a budget I would find a early NICE frame MR with the big 6500 bag and add a smaller bag like what pods 8 builds. You can have this setup for about the most of a Kifaru frame alone....and it will do it all.

I have that setup as well as a mountain warrior and 22mag now in my rotation. The draw for me to the MR is the narrower bag and frame height that let's me look up while wearing my pack. I use the crap out of my 22mag as a day pack in more open country because it's well thought out, but if I have a scope or tripod in the pocket and sling my rifle.....they'll beat on each other.

The designer pack builders have so many options it's near overwhelming to choose one.....but honestly if you find one that fits your needs, itll work.

tdot

WKR
The top tier packs are all pretty good each with pros/cons. But ultimately it is how each one fits you and works with your body that is the most important part.

As for durability, once you are into the higher end packs. They are all pretty durable. You dont need to add 2 lbs of pack weight, just to gain durability.

bsnedeker

WKR
I've had a kifaru the last two seasons and I've been loving it. This year the stitching on my left shoulder strap started to come undone. I called them up and 3 days later I had a brand new set of shoulder straps on my doorstep. No questions asked, didn't even need to ship back the old ones. Customer for life!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Havent tried a SG. Had a Mystery Ranch and loved it until I tried a Kifaru; sold the MR. Each has the their pros and cons, but the amount of different packs that Kifaru offers and their ability to carry a lot of weight comfortably is hard to beat.