New Packs from Kifaru 2024

I'm really curious what the opinion of everyone here is on if overseas materials like the ultra or spectra variants would be a turn off. There are, or at least used to be, folks on here who were very high on all USA sourced materials even if better alternatives are available. I saw some in the field pictures of packs this last fall that appeared to be a challenge fabric, and it made me wonder.
I would not purchase. One of the things I love most about their business is that their packs are Berry compliant. And that is why they come in quite a bit higher than other manufacturers. I guess if they were a couple hundred dollars cheaper that may be an option but at over $800 for a pack, I want it to be more American than baseball.

sndmn11

WKR
I would not purchase. One of the things I love most about their business is that their packs are Berry compliant. And that is why they come in quite a bit higher than other manufacturers. I guess if they were a couple hundred dollars cheaper that may be an option but at over $800 for a pack, I want it to be more American than baseball.

The new stuff is quite a bit more expensive, almost double the cost.

sr80

WKR
They don’t just need a lid redesign. They need to start over with how their lids attach to the pack. They droop so far out and down you can’t have anything in there that weighs more than a pound or two.
i agree, when they got rid of that lid attachment strap that was attached to the frame it went downhill !

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
They need to copy exo’s bag/lid design while keeping their frame, while dropping a couple pounds

sivart

WKR
They need to copy exo’s bag/lid design while keeping their frame, while dropping a couple pounds
i agree. But I would like to see their frame a little more compact. I will always say the Kifaru belt is 2nd to none. But their frame feels bulky to me compared to EXO or stone. And their current bag designs suck compared to EXO. I also agree, Kifaru's bags and frame are unnecessarily heavy, at least compared to the competition.

If there is no equal made here, it would be a very odd stance to be against them sourcing certain materials

Kifaru has led that mentality, so I don’t really feel bad for them if they do catch criticism

People will get used to it, if the better materials aren’t made here, people still want the better materials, regardless of what they say

I like supporting American made, but I’m not naive, it’s not always realistic
Very well said and agree completely.

The new stuff is quite a bit more expensive, almost double the cost.

Will be interesting to see where these packs come in with pricing. Kifaru is already north of $800 which is hard to justify with other amazing offerings from EXO and SG for far less.

Probably a moot point for me as the K4 is like a glove and I have a couple of them. But then I am a gear nerd and always willing to “window shop.”

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Will be interesting to see where these packs come in with pricing. Kifaru is already north of $800 which is hard to justify with other amazing offerings from EXO and SG for far less.

Probably a moot point for me as the K4 is like a glove and I have a couple of them. But then I am a gear nerd and always willing to “window shop.”
For clarity, I was just asking a hypothetical spawned by what I saw in a picture. No confirmation or further investigation on my part beyond that.

I have been using their packs for a while. I do think they carry weight the best out of any pack I have used but as everyone has said they are not perfect and could use a little refinement in some areas such as the lid. That is one area I have specifically modified to work better for my purposes.

Their customer service has really gone downhill, as well.
I have always had great CS when calling with questions. I have not done so recently, but I would be curious if you actually have specifics. Just don't want to have one bad experience paint a picture that now their CS isn't as good. Every company can have a bad day or bad moment.

EmperorMA

WKR
I have always had great CS when calling with questions. I have not done so recently, but I would be curious if you actually have specifics. Just don't want to have one bad experience paint a picture that now their CS isn't as good. Every company can have a bad day or bad moment.
It really isn't worth my time to go into specifics on a public forum. Bad day or not, just suffice it to say that I will never buy anything from them again.

sndmn11

WKR
I think it’s pretty funny, everyone I meet that complains about the weight of a kifaru pack could very easily drop a pound of their pack with all of the extra shit they pack. Or hell, 20 pounds off their gut
Probably! I'm guilty of pack and bino harness over-pocketing for sure, those ounces add up. Even an extra handful of straps and buckles as spares adds 4-6oz.