New Packs from Kifaru 2024

Maverick1

WKR
Kelty Cache Hauler weighs what? 6lbs or more? Yikes.

When you try the Kifaru ARK and it underperforms the Kelty, let us know.
Yes, the Kelty Cache hauler weighs 6 pounds. But, those extra 2-3 pounds do not really matter - because of the way I use it.

When hunting, either on a multi-day/over night trip, or on a single day hunt, I do care about the overall weight of the frame and bag. That's because that backpack setup stays attached to me for pretty much every step of every single day. I'd prefer a 40 pound backpack vs. a 70 pound backpack, as would most.

However, when an animal is down, and the backpack setup is solely being used as a meat hauler, the weight of the frame itself does not matter to me. Hunting vs. meat hauling are two entirely different activities. So, for the frame to weigh 6 pounds or 3, that is irrelevant. How it functions is key. On the way from the vehicle to the carcass, that is usually a minimalist setup (frame, water bladder, game bags, knife, half day's worth of food.) In that situation, it doesn't matter if the frame weighs 6 pounds or 3 pounds, because the total weight is negligible. Wearing a 16 or 13 pound backpack to get to the animal does not make any difference; it is a couple hours to half day's worth of hiking. And on the way back from the carcass to the vehicle, the frame is fully loaded up with meat; it does not matter if the total weight of the backpack weighs 106 or 103 pounds, for instance. The rigidity, comfort level, and load-hauling capability is the most important thing at that point.

If you'd like to haul elk quarters with a 10 ounce kids backpack because it is the lightest frame available, have at it.

1706499218286.png

pirogue

WKR
Of all the states abbreviations to name a pack frame associated with packing heavier loads, and they pick Arkansas? Where there are smaller than average whitetail, no mule deer, and NRs can not apply for a public land elk tag.

74a0285ee54496525870a0e2a5bbe9e8.jpg

kifaru never been the holiest of folk as far as I recall but here you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formula 1 would like a word. Solvay has made pretty big gains in the carbon tech they supply teams. (Tbf, practically speaking I doubt pack manufacturers are seeing those gains lol)

Context is important, right?

Folks here have speculated that carbon fiber technology must have improved, otherwise why would Kifaru be switching to it, especially after mocking another pack company for utilizing it back in 2015 or whenever that was.

Ok, then show me, how has carbon fiber technology improved such that now Kifaru can commercialize the advancements and not look like hypocrites? I don't think it has.

So, the mission is to show how Kifaru has utilized advancements that weren't available in 2015, and that these advancements are large enough to go from mocking a competitor to adoption. No one will be able to do this. And they don't have to, when they can just say "Kifaru read the market wrong in 2015," or even "the market has changed since 2015."

All this talk about the carbon frame, it just doesnt move the needle for me. No one complained about the durability of the Duplex Lite....as far as the frame. If the carbon is stronger and more durable, great. And sure the Ark is lighter, but I wouldnt call it significant enough to change many opinions on that front. I will keep using the DL - if I didnt already have a frame Id spring for the Ark. I just dont have any complaints with the actual frame of the DL.

The only 2 complaints I have about the DL as a system though, arent frame related, and theyve addressed both with the Ark. The durability of the shoulder strap/belt foam and the laser cut straight row molle on the belt replacing the angled pals webbing rows on the belt that made attaching just about anything a bit odd. Whether or not carbon tech has improved or not, I dont know. But theyve improved on the package as a whole.

I believe Aron said in a IG Q&A that the Ark belt will fit the duplex lite, but the shoulder straps will not and that theyll assess the future of the DL after 6-12 months.

Last edited:

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Context is important, right?

Folks here have speculated that carbon fiber technology must have improved, otherwise why would Kifaru be switching to it, especially after mocking another pack company for utilizing it back in 2015 or whenever that was.

Ok, then show me, how has carbon fiber technology improved such that now Kifaru can commercialize the advancements and not look like hypocrites? I don't think it has.

So, the mission is to show how Kifaru has utilized advancements that weren't available in 2015, and that these advancements are large enough to go from mocking a competitor to adoption. No one will be able to do this. And they don't have to, when they can just say "Kifaru read the market wrong in 2015," or even "the market has changed since 2015."
I don’t disagree which is why I had that caveat. Honestly, the thing that changed is probably cost. It‘s much cheaper now than in 2015.

You’ve been pretty on board with the K4, correct? Why would that not be your go-to for this purpose. K4 is priced lower than the Kifaru ARK.
I love it, and I might go that route, but I like excuses to try different gear, haha

I think the Barney frame is probably the best tool for the job, way overkill for a normal pack, but not for meat hauling

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, the Kelty Cache hauler weighs 6 pounds. But, those extra 2-3 pounds do not really matter - because of the way I use it.

When hunting, either on a multi-day/over night trip, or on a single day hunt, I do care about the overall weight of the frame and bag. That's because that backpack setup stays attached to me for pretty much every step of every single day. I'd prefer a 40 pound backpack vs. a 70 pound backpack, as would most.

However, when an animal is down, and the backpack setup is solely being used as a meat hauler, the weight of the frame itself does not matter to me. Hunting vs. meat hauling are two entirely different activities. So, for the frame to weigh 6 pounds or 3, that is irrelevant. How it functions is key. On the way from the vehicle to the carcass, that is usually a minimalist setup (frame, water bladder, game bags, knife, half day's worth of food.) In that situation, it doesn't matter if the frame weighs 6 pounds or 3 pounds, because the total weight is negligible. Wearing a 16 or 13 pound backpack to get to the animal does not make any difference; it is a couple hours to half day's worth of hiking. And on the way back from the carcass to the vehicle, the frame is fully loaded up with meat; it does not matter if the total weight of the backpack weighs 106 or 103 pounds, for instance. The rigidity, comfort level, and load-hauling capability is the most important thing at that point.

If you'd like to haul elk quarters with a 10 ounce kids backpack because it is the lightest frame available, have at it.

View attachment 664424

I doubt the ARK is anything like the packs in the image you’ve posted. It is after all, a Kifaru frame we are discussing.

If the Kelty works best for your purposes, so be it. It is cheaper, which is true upside.

I‘m with you on performance, choose what performs best. I admit a heavier frame can perform better than a lighter frame. Perhaps it slips less, perhaps it fits better, perhaps the more rigid structure stabilizes a load better for you. Whatever.

I disagree about the difference in weight being negligible. It may be acceptable, but not negligible. Is there a difference between a 6lb rifle and a 9lb rifle, yes. Is there a max weight you can bench press, yes. 3lbs heavier and you can’t lift it.

If the Kelty makes the pack out less sufferable, it’s the winner. If it’s a matter of it sucking either way, I don’t see any reason to carry an extra 3lbs up a mountain other than it’s cheaper.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
All this talk about the carbon frame, it just doesnt move the needle for me. No one complained about the durability of the Duplex Lite....as far as the frame. If the carbon is stronger and more durable, great. And sure the Ark is lighter, but I wouldnt call it significant enough to change many opinions on that front. I will keep using the DL - if I didnt already have a frame Id spring for the Ark. I just dont have any complaints with the actual frame of the DL.

The only 2 complaints I have about the DL as a system though, arent frame related, and theyve addressed both with the Ark. The durability of the shoulder strap/belt foam and the laser cut straight row molle on the belt replacing the angled pals webbing rows on the belt that made attaching just about anything a bit odd. Whether or not carbon tech has improved or not, I dont know. But theyve improved on the package as a whole.

I believe Aron said in a IG Q&A that the Ark belt will fit the duplex lite, but the shoulder straps will not and that theyll assess the future of the DL after 6-12 months.

Some folks don’t like the rigidity of the DL, say it doesn’t “move” with the user.

Some say Kifaru frames are too complicated.

Some point out other options are lighter and perform on par (or better).

I think these are some of the complaints the ARK looks to put to bed for Kifaru.

What makes K4 a popular choice, or an X-curve, etc? I’m sure they considered some of that as well with the new design. And even though they’ve gone over to CF, and adjusted to the current market, the ARK still has distinctly Kifaru elements.

I do however already see some things I like better about the DL, for my usage. But I’m not discounting alleged performance improvements of the ARK. I look forward to hearing feedback on it.

Also, it’s nice they were able to put out a product they feel moves the ball but still offers compatibility with legacy bags. When new bags drop, it’ll be interesting to see if they represent a new design philosophy altogether or are just organizationally new.

An Ark carries all the animals.

I would think they could get manufacturing costs of the Ark well below that of the Duplex. There is zero sewing and effort on the frame once it arrives. Just attach the belt and harness.
In this day and age of Bidenomics? I hate to burst your bubble but ain’t no prices coming down on anything anywhere anytime in the near future

prm

WKR
Costs down is relative. One process requires manufacturing an item, the other requires producing a number of elements and then assembling them.

I have zero idea if carbon fiber has improved or not. What I do know is kuiu’s design was poor. I know of a few that broke. Load lifters snapping, middle/bottom of the frame cracking, and so on. Time will tell if Kifaru’s design is better or not. Just looking at it, it looks to be.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
At the risk of sounding dumb, kifaru might have been the first to use carbon fiber. Their laminated stays predate everything else I know about…