New Packs from Kifaru 2024

I have zero idea if carbon fiber has improved or not. What I do know is kuiu’s design was poor. I know of a few that broke. Load lifters snapping, middle/bottom of the frame cracking, and so on. Time will tell if Kifaru’s design is better or not. Just looking at it, it looks to be.
It’s going to be better than kuiu… if there was any doubt on durability, it wouldn’t have been carbon, especially considering Aron’s not so long ago opinion on carbon fiber frames

I haven’t heard anything bad about durability on initial ascent packs, and they have a carbon frame that doesn’t look as tough as the Ark

I thought the same thing when exo went to carbon stays, but some companies I trust more than my feelings

It’s going to be better than kuiu… if there was any doubt on durability, it wouldn’t have been carbon, especially considering Aron’s not so long ago opinion on carbon fiber frames

I haven’t heard anything bad about durability on initial ascent packs, and they have a carbon frame that doesn’t look as tough as the Ark

I thought the same thing when exo went to carbon stays, but some companies I trust more than my feelings
I know it will be better without a doubt. Some people are still caught up on what kifaru said in the past about carbon fiber and Kuiu.

I’ve tried one or more packs from all the big pack companies. If you would have asked me 4-5 months ago if I thought the K4 was going to be good I would have said probably not. The K2/3 were not good for me at all. But after testing the K4 it’s in the top 2 packs I’ve ever worn. Time will tell if the ARK lives up to what Aron and the team think. I know that I haven’t been let down by any “upgrades” Kifaru has made yet, but their frames have worked the best for my body type.

ozyclint

WKR
I'll stick with my Timberline 2 internal frame with aluminum stays. I believe being able to bend them for a custom fit is unbeatable.

A rigid sheet that likely won't fit my back profile is a turn off.

I have been considering getting a straight up pack frame, set up for meat only, a load crib and a Nalgene holder only kind of pack

I was thinking I would get a Barney’s but pending feedback, I may consider this frame

I want to have a hunt light and bare minimum some this year (like a fanny or lumbar pack with essentials only), and then have just a pack board in my pickup when hunting light

When I’m helping others pack meat, I can keep my hunting pack clean
K4 Crib Load Panel

64876d0b075bf.jpg

The Exo K4 basically did what you’re asking for. Throw the pack off, use the load crib, side pouches, Nalgene holder, and or lid and you’ve got a meat hauling frame with very minimal storage if needed.

TheTone

WKR
K4 Crib Load Panel

64876d0b075bf.jpg

The Exo K4 basically did what you’re asking for. Throw the pack off, use the load crib, side pouches, Nalgene holder, and or lid and you’ve got a meat hauling frame with very minimal storage if needed.
I’ve kept my mystery ranch nice frame for essentially this exact use. It basically lives in my truck all fall as a back up/loaner pack

K4 Crib Load Panel

64876d0b075bf.jpg

Absolutely, I may go that route with the 26.5” frame load crib, belt pouch, Nalgene holder

If it wasn’t for me liking to test new gear, that’s a no brainer, I already know it hauls heavy loads as well as anything I’ve worn, and is very comfortable under a heavy load… cheaper too. That’s 100% the practical option, I’m just not always practical when it comes to trying gear😏

Nothing will threaten the k4’s spot as my hunting pack until exo releases a new system, then all bets are off

while what you say is true, becareful with Made vs Assembled vs 100% sourced.

Ive ran EXO since gen 1 and not changing but I think kifaru wins on the no compromise sourcing.
Exo released a podcast this morning addressing the "Made in America" Obviously they saw and heard the chatter. Go listen for yourself, but the cliff notes are Exo packs are berry compliant (sourced, made and assembled in America) with 2 exceptions. The YKK zipper coil portion is not. The slide and tape are. They are using zipper coil made for luggage that proved to be more durable. Also, more expensive than US options.

The 2nd component is the metal buckle that the lid strap runs through at top of frame. Everything else is sourced in US.

Pretty sure Kifaru is still planning to roll them out in public at the Western Hunt Expo February 15th

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Based on Aaron's reply it sounds like Feb 1st as orders open on the 15th for the frame. I can't see why they would make you order twice for a new frame than a pack.

TX_Diver

WKR
Exo released a podcast this morning addressing the "Made in America" Obviously they saw and heard the chatter. Go listen for yourself, but the cliff notes are Exo packs are berry compliant (sourced, made and assembled in America) with 2 exceptions. The YKK zipper coil portion is not. The slide and tape are. They are using zipper coil made for luggage that proved to be more durable. Also, more expensive than US options.

The 2nd component is the metal buckle that the lid strap runs through at top of frame. Everything else is sourced in US.

I have no idea on the exact details but can something be "berry compliant except for..."? I assumed something either was or wasn't berry compliant.

At work I hear a lot of people who are "done except for..." which isn't really done 🤣

Both Kifaru and Exo's levels of Made in America (and durability from my experiences to date) are good enough for me but I always have to question something that's absolute but also caveated with an exception...

I have no idea on the exact details but can something be "berry compliant except for..."? I assumed something either was or wasn't berry compliant.

At work I hear a lot of people who are "done except for..." which isn't really done 🤣

Both Kifaru and Exo's levels of Made in America (and durability from my experiences to date) are good enough for me but I always have to question something that's absolute but also caveated with an exception...
Like I said listen to pod will make more sense. Steve Speck was clear he never said entire pack was berry compliant. He listed every single component that makes up the pack and said that specific piece is berry complaint. There were only the 2 pieces I mentioned above that he said were not.

Now when they do military orders they just swap out zipper and metal piece for US sources peice. Only reason they don’t stick with it is he feels the over seas zipper and metal piece is better.

What I like is exo doesn’t limit “made in US” If they feel they can get a better product else where. I want the best and that doesn’t always mean made in USA. Tents is the easy example. Japan had the market on technical fabrics.

But thats kind of what Im saying, 99.9% isnt 100%, but none-the less its a no brainer vs alot of others.

Hard to beat EXO or Kifaru, glad we have both.