New Packs from Kifaru 2024

Do you need an actual shelf?

If I remember correctly, you are a fan of the K4? Did you find any trouble with not having a shelf on that?
Compression straps on the frame for securing a load like exo is fine, I think he meant a way to secure meat to the actual frame, securing meat on a kifaru(besides the Stryker family of bags) sucks, and is anything but intuitive. Exo is my favorite meat hauling system, you have compression straps on the frame, undo all of them, put your load on, cinch it all down, then sandwich it between your bag and frame… super quick, and extremely secure, and you can adjust load height easily and nothing shifts on your way out.

Kifaru’s load shelf has always been an afterthought, and it’s the most cumbersome load system of any I’ve used. Wouldn’t take much thought to make a load quick and easy to secure without putting meat in the bag. I figured they would have done something a little more intuitive with a brand new frame.

I guess I can see it on bags over 5k, but smaller bags suck to haul meat in, and I want to keep bone in when breaking animals down, and bone in quarters don’t go into smaller bags. Would have liked to see them put some thought into that.

ozyclint

WKR
I believe the Kifaru KU designation predates the other companys pack by at least a few years. I know there was a KU5200 and KU3700 14+ years ago.
Funny because I asked if anyone was still using a KU pack in the 'Does cordura suck' thread and had no reply. Figured most people forgot about or didn't know of their existence.
The bag was made from the same fabric as the tipis

Last edited:
My wife moved multiple carcasses with her K4 last season without any sort of shelf other than the bag https://www.rokslide.com/exo-mountain-gear-k4-exs-pack-system/

I know lots of folks did the same as well. I can't imagine that similar wouldn't work in this case. The nice thing about UltraGrid/EPX400/UltraPE is that you just wipe wet blood or let it dry and flake off; no more wet cleaning or soaking.

Thanks that’s a good read, sounds like a solid season. Seems like it should’ve been an obvious option but one I didn’t consider until your post.

I am not familiar with that fabric, I appreciate the insight. I really like the sound of just wiping off blood!

Meat shelf’s suck. Get yourself a 55-65l Seal Line Dry bag and put your meat in the bag with zero mess, faster load up times and better load hauling. Keep it simple

sndmn11

WKR
Compression straps on the frame for securing a load like exo is fine, I think he meant a way to secure meat to the actual frame, securing meat on a kifaru(besides the Stryker family of bags) sucks, and is anything but intuitive. Exo is my favorite meat hauling system, you have compression straps on the frame, undo all of them, put your load on, cinch it all down, then sandwich it between your bag and frame… super quick, and extremely secure, and you can adjust load height easily and nothing shifts on your way out.

Kifaru’s load shelf has always been an afterthought, and it’s the most cumbersome load system of any I’ve used. Wouldn’t take much thought to make a load quick and easy to secure without putting meat in the bag. I figured they would have done something a little more intuitive with a brand new frame.

I guess I can see it on bags over 5k, but smaller bags suck to haul meat in, and I want to keep bone in when breaking animals down, and bone in quarters don’t go into smaller bags. Would have liked to see them put some thought into that.
Ohhh got it. My Kifaru meat hauling experience is with the Late Season and Siwash 20 years ago. I'm ignorant to any current Kifaru struggles in that regard.

It seems/seemed logical to just cinch s strap or two across the load, then further squish with the bag.

Ohhh got it. My Kifaru meat hauling experience is with the Late Season and Siwash 20 years ago. I'm ignorant to any current Kifaru struggles in that regard.

It seems/seemed logical to just cinch s strap or two across the load, then further squish with the bag.
I would say seek outside is right between the kifaru and exo in design for “meat shelves”. The SO isn’t a great well thought out design for their load shelf, but it’s certainly usable and extremely light and streamlined… seems like kifaru could at least put that level of thought into it. Seems like they have some good brains designing products, shouldn’t take much brainstorming to get a usable meat shelf, or ideally, a couple compression straps on the frame for securing a load and ditch the “shelf”

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I would say seek outside is right between the kifaru and exo in design for “meat shelves”. The SO isn’t a great well thought out design for their load shelf, but it’s certainly usable and extremely light and streamlined… seems like kifaru could at least put that level of thought into it. Seems like they have some good brains designing products, shouldn’t take much brainstorming to get a usable meat shelf, or ideally, a couple compression straps on the frame for securing a load and ditch the “shelf”
I would just sew compression straps directly to the new kifaru frame in all the slots. The ones not in use id stow them like exo. This would also eliminate the k clips which will be rubbing against whatever you are strapping to the side.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Am I missing something? Didn't AS go over the new frame having the same attachment points as the Tactical frame so accessory load straps and a Grab-it would be super easy install to carry a load on this frame. This is how I do it with my Noma2 and love this over putting meat inside my main bag.

sndmn11

WKR
I think SO is really easy. Less straps with the K4 for sure, but I don't think there's anything troubling with the SO version.

I had a Reckoning and duplex for a bit and it seemed easy enough to strap rock salt in there, but I never took it in the field.

It seems as if some of the guys commenting on this thread have never actually seen or used a kifaru. Like the system or not it has a designated “meat shelf” on every pack made for like the last 7-8 years. The new frame looks to have the same attachment points. As for the new bag, what I watched, didn’t show if it did or didn’t have the same shelf.

I know this, I would hate to design or build anything in today’s market. Stuff hasn’t even been shipped and everyone “knows” everything about it. Huh!! I’m a jackass and like testing stuff so I’ll try the new frame. I have a SG, Exo, and Kifaru in the garage right now 🤦🏼‍♂️.

fatlander

WKR
It says in the description that it does not have a meat shelf!!! Doesn't mean you couldn't rig something up but it doesnt come from Kifaru with thos provisions

The kifaru “meat shelf” was really an after thought on all their packs except their sling style packs.

I always just put meat in my kiffys, even those with a meat shelf.

EXOs “meat shelf” isn’t really a shelf either. It’s just two compression straps and then the bag.

After using all of the big 3, I think SG has the only really functional meat shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
Im aware, Ive onwned 4 different bags and frames, and still currently own and Exo and SG, I was simply stating what is said in the description regarding a meat shelf

plebe

Lil-Rokslider

Just add a couple of compression straps to the tab loops on a Kifaru frame and it’s set up the same as the K4.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I think SO is really easy. Less straps with the K4 for sure, but I don't think there's anything troubling with the SO version.

I had a Reckoning and duplex for a bit and it seemed easy enough to strap rock salt in there, but I never took it in the field.

What’s great about the Seek Outside meat shelf (load sling) is you can adjust it’s position vertically.