New Packs from Kifaru 2024

You can use a grab-it as a meat shelf. Would act exactly like a SG meat shelf.
Done it before on the original duplex frame and the tactical frame.
The new duplex made it a bit more difficult, but doable.
The Ark appears to be easy to do it with.
Not really complicated.

mt100gr.

WKR
1000001569.jpg
Kifaru used to sell these "load shelf extension" panels before they started putting the load shelf on their bags. I haven't seen many floating around but it will move the bottom connection of the bag about 4" away from the frame to create that space that everyone seems to want. It wasn't available for very long, but it's pretty slick. The only drawback is that the meat load or overflow camp bag rests at the bottom of the frame - low for boned out meat, but not terrible for big, bone in quarters.

It seems as if some of the guys commenting on this thread have never actually seen or used a kifaru. Like the system or not it has a designated “meat shelf” on every pack made for like the last 7-8 years. The new frame looks to have the same attachment points. As for the new bag, what I watched, didn’t show if it did or didn’t have the same shelf.

I know this, I would hate to design or build anything in today’s market. Stuff hasn’t even been shipped and everyone “knows” everything about it. Huh!! I’m a jackass and like testing stuff so I’ll try the new frame. I have a SG, Exo, and Kifaru in the garage right now 🤦🏼‍♂️.
Hey Dave it’s says right on the Kifaru website no meat shelf for the 4300. I to have an exo, SG and kifaru in the garage. And to be clear Kifaru’s shelf attacked at the bottom of the duplex lite frame which makes no sense.

The kifaru “meat shelf” was really an after thought on all their packs except their sling style packs.

I always just put meat in my kiffys, even those with a meat shelf.

EXOs “meat shelf” isn’t really a shelf either. It’s just two compression straps and then the bag.

After using all of the big 3, I think SG has the only really functional meat shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is absolutely true. SG has the best load shelf and it ain't close. However Exo straps and sandwich actually is better as it keeps the total load closer to your back. This is only because the bottom of the exo bag stays attached. Any brand like SG that detaches the bag at bottom to allow room for the shelf creates a lever to pull you back. Full pack and meat in a SG could be 20” or more off of your back. Also the bag with camp gear wants to sag down. Exo keeps the bag attacked to the bottom of frame creating a wedge. This keeps full pack and meat closer to your body. Less lever pulling back. Meat shelfs are hands down the best if the bag isn’t full. But if you have 7 days of camp in a bag a meat shelf is gonna feel like it’s pulling back on you and it’s very uncomfortable

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
But can’t a Kifaru frame/pack be set up to carry the same way as the EXO? Albeit, EXO’s velcro system is slightly more convenient for detaching the top sleeve. (And there are no holes in the EXO frame which may be preferable to some.)

Even though it doesn’t have the shelf sewn in I don’t know what prevents someone from using some of the included tab loops and a couple straps and running them across under the bag and essentially sandwiching meat or whatever between the 4300 and ark frame.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
This is absolutely true. SG has the best load shelf and it ain't close. However Exo straps and sandwich actually is better as it keeps the total load closer to your back. This is only because the bottom of the exo bag stays attached. Any brand like SG that detaches the bag at bottom to allow room for the shelf creates a lever to pull you back. Full pack and meat in a SG could be 20” or more off of your back. Also the bag with camp gear wants to sag down. Exo keeps the bag attacked to the bottom of frame creating a wedge. This keeps full pack and meat closer to your body. Less lever pulling back. Meat shelfs are hands down the best if the bag isn’t full. But if you have 7 days of camp in a bag a meat shelf is gonna feel like it’s pulling back on you and it’s very uncomfortable
I think you can use the sg without the load shelf ill try later today

bmart2622

WKR
You can just keep the bottom compression straps tight on the SG. So if you a pack full of 7 days of gear and arent going to use a load shelf, whats another option?

You can just keep the bottom compression straps tight on the SG. So if you a pack full of 7 days of gear and arent going to use a load shelf, whats another option?
Sandwich the meat between bag and frame just as the Exo is design to do. Only difference is keeping the bottom of the bag attached tight to bottom of frame. This allows you to really suck everything a tight to your back as possible.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Oh ok, the description must be wrong then

No, the description says: “To keep weight as low as possible, this bag does not have a loadshelf sewn into the back”

You said you wouldn’t buy a pack that “doesnt have someway to carry meat between the frame and bag”

A sewn loadshelf is not the only way to carry meat between a frame and bag.

I cannot contest that you may not buy a pack that doesn’t have a sewn loadshelf, but that’s different from what you’ve stated.

bmart2622

WKR
Yep, wasnt referring to this pack, theres a pile of other reasons I wouldn't buy this pack but thats not one of them

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, wasnt referring to this pack, theres a pile of other reasons I wouldn't buy this pack but thats not one of them

In that case, I have no idea what you were referencing by “the description must be wrong then.” But I think it’s been clarified several times that many of the popular frame systems can be run in a “sandwich” configuration, including the ARK and 4300, which is I guess a good landing point.