New Pants (Arborwear?)

dkell

FNG
I am going to need a new set of pants this year for bird season. I bought them when I was about 60 lbs heavier, dealt with it through last season but it was a struggle.

I am pretty happy with the sawbucks but I do not care for how baggy they are (legs). I also don’t care for First Lite as a company and would gladly look elsewhere if there is a comparable/better product.

I know this topic has been covered several times in the past, but I am curious if anyone has found anything new that’s been working out for them.

I primarily hunt ruffs up in the north woods of MN. Some areas I hunt have a pretty good amount of elevation change but for the most part it is pretty flat. I bust a lot of brush but I am not overly concerned with ultra protection because I honestly just don’t notice it that much.

Looking for flex, durability, decent amount of brush protection, I could honestly care less about water proofing.

I have been looking at Arborwear quite a bit and am intrigued with the tech flex pants and canopy but I am not sure if they will hit all my boxes.

Not very interested in Pyke pants.

Anything you can share with me would be great. I went from jeans and chaps to the sawbucks so really have pretty limited experience with upland pants in general.

Thanks

Last edited:

ORHunter

WKR
I'm going to pick up a pair of Kuiu's Pro Brush pants for upland hunting this year. No experience with them but they sound like a good option.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JeffP_Or

WKR
I have enjoyed the comfort and relative service of the Duluth Trading Firehose series of pants; especially the flex pants. The price-point fits my budgets. They are cargo style so have multiple options for pocket storage as well.

But they are probably more baggy than what you are asking for - regardless, might be worth checking out.

Macintosh

WKR
…I primarily hunt ruffs up in the north woods of MN…
…Looking for flex, durability, decent amount of brush protection, I could honestly care less about water proofing…

Curious about the waterproofing comment. I hunt in a similar area and find anything cotton gets soaked from dew or melting frost on brush. I like cotton on a warmish and bone-dry afternoon but find it gets very heavy and confining most of the time for this reason. Are the pants you mentioned synthetic? Im due for a new pair as well. Havent yet found a pair of brush pants I truly think are great. I often use an older (15 years or so and still going!!) pair of cabelas brush pants that are synthetic but not waterproof, pretty good in briars and not too hot…but they’ve long ago stopped making anything comparable.

OP
dkell

dkell

FNG
My current pants are synthetic and I wear kenetrek hunting gaiters that go up pretty high on my calf. I don’t do much early morning hunting for ruffs anymore because it just simply isn’t productive for me. I think the last two years the earliest grouse I took was 930. Dew has largely burned off by 10-1030ish and the gaiters keep my pants from coming into contact with a lot of moisture. Don’t get me wrong I certainly have soaked my pants before but it really hasn’t been an issue since I started wearing gaiters and synthetic pants. Hope that clarifies.

OMB

WKR
I am going to need a new set of pants this year for bird season. I bought them when I was about 60 lbs heavier, dealt with it through last season but it was a struggle.

I am pretty happy with the sawbucks but I do not care for how baggy they are (legs). I also don’t care for First Lite as a company and would gladly look elsewhere if there is a comparable/better product.

I know this topic has been covered several times in the past, but I am curious if anyone has found anything new that’s been working out for them.

I primarily hunt ruffs up in the north woods of MN. Some areas I hunt have a pretty good amount of elevation change but for the most part it is pretty flat. I bust a lot of brush but I am not overly concerned with ultra protection because I honestly just don’t notice it that much.

Looking for flex, durability, decent amount of brush protection, I could honestly care less about water proofing.

I have been looking at Arborwear quite a bit and am intrigued with the tech flex pants and canopy but I am not sure if they will hit all my boxes.

Not very interested in Pyke pants.

Anything you can share with me would be great. I went from jeans and chaps to the sawbucks so really have pretty limited experience with upland pants in general.

Thanks

Orvis Missouri Breaks field pants are what I wear 100% of the time, usually can get 2-3 seasons out of a pair for grouse hunting.

OP
dkell

dkell

FNG
Update:

Ordered the Arborwear Tech Flex pants to try. At half the price of the sawbucks and Orvis pants I figured it was worth a look. I also ordered Duck Camp’s field shirt.

I’ll update when I have some time with both of these items for anyone who is looking for hunting clothes for ruffs.

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it.