New Record! Colorado elk…

Opening morning- ran into 9 people before 10am, 4 miles from the trailhead. Found a tent setup exactly where I ran into a group of 30+ cows a couple months ago. Half of the 9 were from greater than 1000 miles away. When I went in before season opened there was 3 cars at the trailhead, when i came out opening day afternoon their was 18. I’m done with OTC in colorado.

OP
streetdoctor
Sorry man. I really hate reading this. Colorado is loved to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It really is. Thanks for listening to my rant. It’s changed so much in the 10 short years I’ve been hunting it’s really sad. What makes it worse is the level of cluelessness- where people are camped, not paying attention to wind, hiking in “deep” and bumping elk (and not realizing it) in the process. I almost feel like it would be better to help them. To top matters off this spot I’ve been going to for years I come to find out is being openly recommended by CPW “go park at this point and hunt in that direction. 5 years ago there was maybe 2 cars in this lot. Its also a 90 min drive from pavement.

Dirtbag

WKR
I hate the idea of further limitations on hunting opportunity, but OTC anymore is a goat rope to put it nicely. the social media combined with cheap, easy tags available to the whole world have turned it into a circus. I hope we can figure something out.

Dirtbag

WKR
The price these guys are lining up to pay for the “opportunity” is almost criminal. I feel like I’ve got some change coming at $60 most days in the woods.
It is the cheapest elk tag out there for nonresidents by a long shot, likely part of the problem.

but I hear you though, really a terrible value haha.

Colorado is growing in population and so are non residents numbers. It’s a tough spot to be in with a governor that hates hunting to boot.

Last edited:

Huntin_GI

WKR
Opening morning- ran into 9 people before 10am, 4 miles from the trailhead. Found a tent setup exactly where I ran into a group of 30+ cows a couple months ago. Half of the 9 were from greater than 1000 miles away. When I went in before season opened there was 3 cars at the trailhead, when i came out opening day afternoon their was 18. I’m done with OTC in colorado.

This is the only thing that is going to fix this. It ridiculous. At the August commission meeting, I was one of 4 resident sportsmen who provided testimony. IF we can get 14 signed up for comments, I think we may get the commissions attention.

Furthermore, reach out to your representative. I have been in contact with Ryan Aramgost, a local rep who is also a sportsmen and very receptive. When more than 68% of resident sportsmen agree, getting help from legislatures shouldn't be a problem.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Imagine paying 700 plus dollars for a tag, taking a week off work, paying for 6 tanks of gas, etc to be a dude from Minnesota coming to Colorado to try and kill an elk. With success at 11% or whatever it is, the reality is that 11% is killed by the same small percentage of hunters that get it done every year. Most guys coming out for their 1st or 5th hunt should leave their bow at home, save 700 dollars, go to unit 61 or 49 with their camera and actually see a bull.

Last edited:
Imagine paying 750 plus dollars for a tag, taking 3 weeks off work, paying for 12 tanks of diesel, etc to be a dude from the East coming to Colorado to try and kill an elk. With success at 7% or whatever it is, the reality is that 90% is killed by the same 10% of hunters that get it done every year. Most guys coming out for their 1st or 5th hunt should leave their bow at home, save $3k dollars, go to unit 61 or 49 with their camera and actually see a bull.

Fixed it