New Research for CO Wolf release locations

feanor

WKR
“Having this data of how people actually voted for or against this effort is really unique," Ditmer said.
He used precinct-level data from the 2020 vote to calculate the chances of conflict for wolves and people.
"The idea being where people supported it more, people will be more willing or more tolerant to live alongside wolves," Ditmer said.

I just wish they would nudge it a LITTLE closer to the front range.

On another note, maybe all the SxS guys in Taylor park will keep the wolves from coming south by creating an impenetrable dust cloud.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Some notable comments:

"We don’t have any actual animal data to really validate our assumptions," Ditmer said.

CPW will release wolves at least 60 miles from a sovereign tribe's land, or a neighboring state. That is at their request and due to how far wolves can travel.
CPW cannot release wolves on federal land. They can only be released on state-owned, or private land.

Say you are shoving it down people's' throats without saying you're shoving it down their throats....

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Some notable comments:

"We don’t have any actual animal data to really validate our assumptions," Ditmer said.

CPW will release wolves at least 60 miles from a sovereign tribe's land, or a neighboring state. That is at their request and due to how far wolves can travel.
CPW cannot release wolves on federal land. They can only be released on state-owned, or private land.

Say you are shoving it down people's' throats without saying you're shoving it down their throats....
To be fair- they are being forced to shove it down peoples throats. Seems like CPW isn't thrilled about the situation either.

How about the folks at CPW & others who are part of this just refuse to participate in releasing them?
There are currently thousands of state & federal employees who violate their oath to the constitution & don't do their jobs & face zero consequences. (DOJ, DHS, border patrol, & the list goes on).

parshal

WKR
Some notable comments:

This is the part that confused me. So, they have to release them on private and state-owned land? Most of the area on the western slope is national forest and BLM. There's not a ton of state-owned land and it's not huge tracts.

KsRancher

WKR
This is the part that confused me. So, they have to release them on private and state-owned land? Most of the area on the western slope is national forest and BLM. There's not a ton of state-owned land and it's not huge tracts.
That's just a formality. From their first release area of Glenwood to Vail and down to Aspen the most state or private contiguous acres isn't much. If they picked the biggest chunk those wolves will be on BLM or National Forest in 15 minutes

NM better wake up (too liberal so they won't) but them bastards will be in northern NM soon! Now we will have a bunch of crooked liberals and wolves south and north. I miss the RED Colorado from the 90's!

And I miss the purple of NM (balanced really) instead of deep navy blue.

This is because if released on federal land years of NEPA analysis would have to take place. The state would rather avoid that and shove wolves down your throat ASAP.

A friend of a friend is a wolf research biologist in Northern Minnesota. We had a lengthy conversation about the reintroduction of wolves in Colorado and the bottom line is that they've been expanding into CO from WY for many years and that they'd be throughout CO eventually anyhow. This just expedites the process. That said, I'd prefer the longer road.

bat-cave

WKR
To be fair- they are being forced to shove it down peoples throats. Seems like CPW isn't thrilled about the situation either.
CPW has been gagged by the Governor. They are forbidden from discussing wolves in anyway shape or form and the last Director lost his job over it. There have been attempts to push back and the result was being punished. The jobs do not pay well and finding a like role isn't easy if you want to remain in CO etc ... My point being it's easy to say what they should do, but it's rarely as easy as it seems as they have families and such to support just like the rest of us. This is being driven from the Governors office and that's where change needs to occur to affect these decisions.