New Rifle / Looking to Hear the RS Comments on this Short List

I have several different brands of rifles in several different calibers. I also mount scopes and sight rifles for a lot of people. If I was buying another rifle it would be a Tikka T3x SL. I do own and like my Browning HCS and CA Ridgeline but the next will be a Tikka.

Ralphie

WKR
I hate to not pick something from your list but…

I’d throw the fierce out for sure. The Christensens have too many mixed reviews. If I was determined to spend almost 4k on just the rifle I’d go custom.

Id go seekins. Either the ph2 or element depending on weight priority.

I'll echo what people have said about Seekins and maybe a UM Tikka build if he's going over $3000.

What scope will he be putting on it? It may be a better route to take money away from the gun to put towards the optic. I don't mean to assume things about him from the list but it does kind of strike me as a list I'd see from someone who may put a $500 scope on it. That's not some personal failing if so, not everyone wants to sift through mountains of posts/threads to figure out what works best.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
First 10 shots for barrel break in through a Christensen FFT. Sub 7lbs scoped. I have several Christensen rifles and they’re all great rifles. IMG_1966.jpeg

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
You’re one of the lucky ones
Between me and friends and family I’ve been up close and personal with a couple dozen Christensen rifles. They’ve all been great rifles that are extremely accurate. Not to take away from the first hand experience of others, that’s just my experience.

TaperPin

WKR
Bergara uses an extra strong firing pin spring and probably has an extra hard bolt lift because of it.

Christensen Arms makes a nice rifle - all the complaints I’ve seen the details of revolve around poor cleaning. Other issues may exist, but a rifle isn’t a space ship, or full of mystery, it’s a basic collection of parts and they seem well made.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
If I was stuck with those options probably the kimber followed by the weatherby. For that money though you could build something on a custom action or a tikka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Fierce all day. I have one and it’s perfect.
probably goes w/o saying but I’d ignore the comments that aren’t first hand. As an example, I see several positive recommendations by Christiansen owners so would look that way deeper too.

z987k

WKR
I have handled or shot every rifle on that list. I’d go with the Weatherby or a Kimber Montana. I prefer the Montana over the Ascent series because the bolt is smoother being unfluted and I prefer the CF stock.

-Nosler is pretty much an overpriced Howa in a good stock.
-Christensen rifles are so hard to cock (bolt lift) that it usually cannot be done from the shoulder or while prone. My gunsmith has worked on a bunch of these to try and fix the issue but he doesn’t like them.
-Fierce has screwed two people I know personally on rifles that would not shoot and they took almost a year before there was a final resolution.
The nosler is built on a mac bros action.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Maybe my comment isn't worth a lot to you since I don't have experience with those particular rifles, but it seems like all are pretty expensive for what you are getting. Note: if he's planning on selling in the future or is in love with some of the features, maybe it makes sense. Many guns now have accuracy warranties including those half or 1/3 the price.

Maybe he's not willing to include any other guns. I wonder if the approach was to choose the cartridge which limits the possible options. If the approach was the opposite, the list could be much longer. I'd personally spend more money on the optics and less on the rifle, but maybe money isn't an issue. Also, I'd consider a folding stock like a MDT HNT26.

From what I've heard/read, the thinner barrels like the Mountain Ascent don't allow much practice time without a lot of time to cool off in between. That may or may not be an issue.

One thought about the caliber choice, I understand the reloading, but what happens if the ammo is left home or otherwise lost? A more popular cartridge with similar performance might be a better choice. A 7mm Remington Magnum has similar performance even though it uses a bit more powder, for example.

Have fun shopping.
Approach was just to see what RS said nothing more nothing less just data collecting is all.

As far as ammo that has never been an issue. But I understand your point.

Thanks

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
I'll echo what people have said about Seekins and maybe a UM Tikka build if he's going over $3000.

What scope will he be putting on it? It may be a better route to take money away from the gun to put towards the optic. I don't mean to assume things about him from the list but it does kind of strike me as a list I'd see from someone who may put a $500 scope on it. That's not some personal failing if so, not everyone wants to sift through mountains of posts/threads to figure out what works best.
Zeiss or a NX8

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I think all of those are overpriced compared to the option below:

-Stainless tikka superlite or Veil w/ D18 barrel
-Maven rs1.2, NF, Trijicon, or SWFA in Sportsmstch or UM rings
-If it shoots, keep it. If not or you just want to look cooler with a CF barrel, rebarrel it.
-Buy a carbon stock