New Ruger American Gen II

Dsellen14

FNG
Just to confirm, this is a new action right? So it won't fit currently available stocks for the American?
I’ve yet to separate the action from the stock but looks to be the same dimensionally. The one thing I don’t know yet is if the AICS mag in the new stock is different than the rotary or AR Mag from the gen 1 stocks. Will report out when I start looking at them and tinkering

Dsellen14

FNG
I’ve yet to separate the action from the stock but looks to be the same dimensionally. The one thing I don’t know yet is if the AICS mag in the new stock is different than the rotary or AR Mag from the gen 1 stocks. Will report out when I start looking at them and tinkering
Also barrel on the Gen2 are thicker than Gen 1. If trying to fit a Gen 2 stock to Gen 1 it would probably work if the mag works.

Montucky

WKR
Hey guys I’m gonna jump into this thread & help however I can. Got my Gen2 Ranch last week went with 5.56. This is my first Ruger American Rifle that I’ve owned. I’ve heard some Hate on the actions but I’ll say mine is great for a $600 Ranch Rifle. I spent the day stripping it down & cleaning it. I got the trigger down to 3.5lbs wouldn’t go down to 3. Installed an Area419 rail successfully. Was a little nervous but I nailed it. These are on all my hunting rifles as my kids kill everything off a TriPod.

I think I’m more excited about this Maven scope. I went with the RS1.2 & I love it so far. This is my first Maven Product & I’m pretty impressed so far.

I cleaned the barrel really good & was suprised how dirty it was straight from the factory. I don’t know how much Ruger shoots these at the factory but it took me awhile to get that barrel cleaned & ready for break-in tomorrow.
IMG_8798.jpeg

Montucky

WKR
Just gonna do a little barrel break-in tomorrow & maybe test some factory ammo see how it does. So far I feel confident that it will group. I have so many components for this caliber (5.56) from all my AR15s that I’m confident that I will find a predator bullet that will BugHole. That’s the reason why I chose 5.56 in this rifle. Oh & almost forgot….rifle weighs 8lbs without the can…….IMG_8800.jpegIMG_8801.jpeg

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Hey guys I’m gonna jump into this thread & help however I can. Got my Gen2 Ranch last week went with 5.56. This is my first Ruger American Rifle that I’ve owned. I’ve heard some Hate on the actions but I’ll say mine is great for a $600 Ranch Rifle. I spent the day stripping it down & cleaning it. I got the trigger down to 3.5lbs wouldn’t go down to 3. Installed an Area419 rail successfully. Was a little nervous but I nailed it. These are on all my hunting rifles as my kids kill everything off a TriPod.

I think I’m more excited about this Maven scope. I went with the RS1.2 & I love it so far. This is my first Maven Product & I’m pretty impressed so far.

I cleaned the barrel really good & was suprised how dirty it was straight from the factory. I don’t know how much Ruger shoots these at the factory but it took me awhile to get that barrel cleaned & ready for break-in tomorrow.
View attachment 649451
Did you get the package deal? I did and have the ranch at my ffl, I’m just wondering if I want to go with some low rings or direct mount Talley’s vs the ones that came with the scope

Montucky

WKR
Did you get the package deal? I did and have the ranch at my ffl, I’m just wondering if I want to go with some low rings or direct mount Talley’s vs the ones that came with the scope
I didn’t get the package deal. I went with Warne Mediums cause I get awesome discount with Warne. Scope height is 2.0in off barrel & perfect for factory supplied cheek riser. Been reading awesome reviews on Tikka rings, would be a weight saving benefit, but I would think the Ruger supplied rings will work fine for you

Montucky

WKR
Hey guys…also wanted to add another bit of information. Ruger doesn’t include the LOP spacer kit with initial purchase. So if you want to run your LOP at 12.75in you have to order from Ruger direct. I ordered the part & it’s already shipped but increased total price another $30. So I’m at $630 so far……I need short LOP for my kids IMG_8802.jpeg

Last edited:

tyco

FNG
I don’t own a Gen 1, but have not heard good things from those that do. I’m looking to pick something up for my son that he can grow (with and) into. This seems like a viable option. Curious whether any others are thinking the same, or if folks typically go the youth rifle route? My son will be 12 next hunting season for reference.

I don’t own a Gen 1, but have not heard good things from those that do. I’m looking to pick something up for my son that he can grow (with and) into. This seems like a viable option. Curious whether any others are thinking the same, or if folks typically go the youth rifle route? My son will be 12 next hunting season for reference.
A 223 or 243 Tikka compact is 650 plus shipping tax and transfer fees from gunzonedeals or most major online sellers (search the model you want on gun.deals. Minus 75$ for the Tikka rebate (that ends tomorrow) and you are basically at price of at gen2 with a spacer kit. Now if the cerakote and threaded barrel is a huge deal to you it might swing you in the other direction but I felt a gen 1 up and it was obvious just get the compact tikka. I'd suggest feeling one up in store if you can I wpuld think it'd be an improvement but it sounds otherwise

Hey guys…also wanted to add another bit of information. Ruger doesn’t include the LOP spacer kit with initial purchase. So if you want to run your LOP at 12.75in you have to order from Ruger direct. I ordered the part & it’s already shipped but increased total price another $30. So I’m at $630 so far……I need short LOP for my kids View attachment 649561
So you don't just remove the spacer shown in your picture and screw the pad onto the stock to shorten the LOP? You have to remove the spacer shown and add a smaller one?

matthewmt

WKR
Anyone able to verify bbl length on the 20" models.?

Any threads on that maven rs 1.5 ?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Montucky

WKR
So you don't just remove the spacer shown in your picture and screw the pad onto the stock to shorten the LOP? You have to remove the spacer shown and add a smaller one?
Exactly….so they designed it so the sling swivel holds the spacer to the stock, & the pad bolts to the spacer. So you have to have a spacer for it to work……

Attachments

• IMG_8812.jpeg
    IMG_8812.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 60

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly….so they designed it so the sling swivel holds the spacer to the stock, & the pad bolts to the spacer. So you have to have a spacer for it to work……

Even the advertised 12" LOP still needs a spacer?

Montucky

WKR
Rifle shot good today. Did a standard break-in up to 40rds & got some average groups from factory 5.56 rounds…temps dropped & I was getting cold & getting mirage off suppressor…this rifle can shoot. Handloads next….

Attachments

• IMG_8808.jpeg
    IMG_8808.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8811.jpeg
    IMG_8811.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 39