New Ruger American Gen II

For anyone who bought the Ranch in 5.56 and got the AICS replacement bottom metal ( plastic ) from Ruger, does it feed well from the AICS magazines?

That's the route I plan to go. All of the shops in my area have Gen 2s, but they can't keep a 5.56 in stock.
How does this work? Does Ruger sell an conversion kit from AR to AICS?

Rolltide

FNG
How does this work? Does Ruger sell an conversion kit from AR to AICS?
Someone posted on a previous page that Ruger will sell the AICS bottom to anyone if they provide the serial number. I'm picking up a Ranch in 5.56 tomorrow and will find out if Ruger will sell the AICS tomorrow as well.

Rolltide

FNG
I wish they'd get the 22 ARC ranch's out on the street. Have a scope, rings, 20 moa rail and Jard trigger just setting here waiting. Along with spray paint.......

Tell me about the Jard trigger! I haven't seen anything on it but I'm all ears for ways to make the RA better.

I have a couple Timneys and a Jard on gen 1's, and like them both. Jard makes a straight trigger and Timney don't. Timney was behind the ball on gen II triggers and that is the reason I went Jard.....

my gen 1 Jard....
IMG_0880.jpeg

link.

Rolltide

FNG
I have a couple Timneys and a Jard on gen 1's, and like them both. Jard makes a straight trigger and Timney don't. Timney was behind the ball on gen II triggers and that is the reason I went Jard.....

my gen 1 Jard....
IMG_0880.jpeg
That's good to know!

Did you buy them straight from Jard or find them somewhere else?

Buzby

WKR
Is the safety any quieter with either of these triggers?
I find the factory trigger reasonable, but I have to really pay attention to keep the safety from making a very audible click.

Someone posted on a previous page that Ruger will sell the AICS bottom to anyone if they provide the serial number. I'm picking up a Ranch in 5.56 tomorrow and will find out if Ruger will sell the AICS tomorrow as well.
Sounds good, please keep us posted on how it works out.

Getting very impatient waiting on the Gen II to get the 7PRC out to the market. Been waiting since January for it to release, and now it's released and still unavailable anywhere. This is my 40th birthday present (which was back in February, Lol)

If it takes too much longer, might just pull the trigger on a Go Wild in 7PRC that is still in stock in multiple places.

I reached out to Ruger yesterday, and they do not currently have an AI magwell that will work with the 5.56.

BLJ

WKR
I reached out to Ruger yesterday, and they do not currently have an AI magwell that will work with the 5.56.
So if you got the AICS magwell from Ruger and bought a 223 AICS mag, they said it wouldn’t work in the Gen 2?
Not doubting what they told you, it just seems odd that it wouldn’t work.

Rolltide

FNG
That's weird because mine will be here this week.

The guy I spoke with in customer service asked me why I would want an AICS magazine for a 5.56 and I asked him if he'd ever shot a 5.56 round with a bullet loaded too far out to fit in an AR mag.

He said no...but if that's what you want, we'll sell it to you.

Rolltide

FNG
So if you got the AICS magwell from Ruger and bought a 223 AICS mag, they said it wouldn’t work in the Gen 2?
Not doubting what they told you, it just seems odd that it wouldn’t work.

The new AICS magwell showed up from Ruger yesterday. I picked it up today on the way to the range and installed it there.

I brought one of my MDT .223 AICS magazines and shot it with various loads from 77 SMK to 69 SMK.

It feeds well and the only negative I can say about it after one range session is that the MDT magazine is TIGHT!

I'll try my others to see if they're all that tight. It's not a bad thing, but when I push the lever forward to release the mag, I have to use my other hand to pull the magazine free.

I tried to get a decent pic but the lighting was harsh.

1713910195251.png

BLJ

WKR
The new AICS magwell showed up from Ruger yesterday. I picked it up today on the way to the range and installed it there.

I brought one of my MDT .223 AICS magazines and shot it with various loads from 77 SMK to 69 SMK.

It feeds well and the only negative I can say about it after one range session is that the MDT magazine is TIGHT!

I'll try my others to see if they're all that tight. It's not a bad thing, but when I push the lever forward to release the mag, I have to use my other hand to pull the magazine free.

I tried to get a decent pic but the lighting was harsh.

View attachment 703588
Thanks for the confirmation. Rifle looks good. Glad to hear the MDT mags work for you.
When I put my Gen 1 Ranch in a Bravo, I to do some work on a factory Ruger AICS mag to get it to function.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I wouldn't mind the ranch in a 6arc. But I think I'd rather have the howa mini.

Welldone

FNG
Classified Approved
So…….. you load them longer than Black Hills ?

Attachments

• 15E01EC4-A9C8-4A68-91C9-0B1C157217C8.jpeg
    15E01EC4-A9C8-4A68-91C9-0B1C157217C8.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 11
  • E2060B93-E6D9-4569-8DF7-34EF3DA6C7BA.jpeg
    E2060B93-E6D9-4569-8DF7-34EF3DA6C7BA.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 11
  • AB9869FC-2070-48CA-B391-D780AF973A74.jpeg
    AB9869FC-2070-48CA-B391-D780AF973A74.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 11