New Shelter system, Jimmy Tarps

Clarktar

WKR
Well, after some field use, and more planning I am changing up my shelter.

Mostly hunting trips are 1-2 people, early bow season. These are generally backcountry trips. I also wanted a shelter for summer hiking and peak bagging. I decided to got with a Jimmy Tarp Down Timber, with a 6x9 Jimmy Tarp as well. If you have not heard of Jimmy Tarps, I suggest you give them a serious look.

I settled on these to items for a few reasons. 1) Weight, 2) Cost, 3) Adaptability. I am in Graduate school, and have a family, so I can not afford the most expensive gear. I thought Jimmy Tarps were a heck of a deal price wise. Obviously I can not attest to the durability etc. as I have been unable to use in the field yet. But, just going over both items here in the house they seem to be well made (im no seamstress either). I plan on using the down timber as my primary shelter, and with two people I can attach the tarp as a sort of beak option. THis just gives more room for gear, lounging etc. I think a true benefit is I can throw that tarp in my pack each morning with ease, and if I feel like spiking out in another valley for a day or two I can, and leave the down timber setup. Basically a simpler base camp bivying setup.

So, what about camping with the family etc? Winter late hunts? Well, I have an SL5, and it has worked alright. But, I am seriously thinking about selling it and purchasing a Sawtooth.... or waiting to check out the new stuff from Kifaru. I like the SL5, and if I had enough money I would keep it and purchase another tent. But, it is shorter than I thought.

My Down Timber weights in at 10.9 ounces with the stuff sack, and the tarp weights 7.7 ounces with stuff sack. For those of you not wanting to add, that is 1lb 2.6 ounces (18.6) for a two person shelter with option to run base camp/ spike out setup. So far I am pretty siked, and look forward to setting it up.

One other thought. I like the idea of pitching a shelter with trekking poles, but in situations where I think I will be spending nights away from the Down Timber, I want to have my poles with me. So, I have some carbon poles from Ruta Locura coming. Once I get them, I will weight them, along with the stakes I will use, my bivy sack, and pad and quilt. Hoping for under 3 lbs. Or very near. Im not a serious ounce counter, just an overweight outtashape graduate student!

Thanks for the kind words Clarktar, I am just another backcountry hunter like yourself trying to make a better lightweight product. Good luck this spring on your bear hunt. Jimmy

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
No problem Jim. I look forward to new product designs!

I looked at your facebook page and really like the down timber, the size and shape is really great, weight is nice as well. Price is awesome as well. Personally I like to be able to seal the shelter off, the DT with a closeable door would be somthing I would buy in a heart beat.

Also wouldn't mind buying from my home state either. May pick up a flat tarp as an emergency shelter.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up 3 of the 6x9 flat tarps. You can configure them a few different ways which is nice. Seems like great quality especially for the price!

trk3263

WKR
Save the weight and money and just use a stick when you want to keep your trekking poles available.

I didn't look to see but if you aren't a sponsor I would look into it. I can't blame the moderators for cracking down on posts like these.

Weekender

WKR
I didn't look to see but if you aren't a sponsor I would look into it. I can't blame the moderators for cracking down on posts like these.

Sponsor only driven forum? I thought this site was about getting info out about good products.

Looks like great tarps for weight and value.

Last edited:
If the owner hadn't chimed in and directed people to his website it would be different. In the end this is a buisness but it's really up to the moderators. Just giving a heads up is all

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
He did not direct people to his website. He replied to my message and simply said thanks etc. Someone asked for pictures, and he posted them. They did not work so he directed them to his facebook page. Then someone else chimed in and said ebay or facebook. I think Jim was low-key and was anything but advertising. But this is my opinion and you are entitled to yours as well.

The point of the thread was just to let people know about another option.

dotman

WKR
Yeah I have to agree he has been pretty low key about his stuff but with that said he should become a sponsor because then more of us would know about his goods! Never heard of his stuff but he has been around on the forum awhile.

Sorry guys for creating any confusion. And yes I am not a sponsor just a little guy who converted a den into a sewing room and making a few tarps and shelters. Not much profit at the prices I charge but that's okay. And yes the moderators have been very low key and I really do appreciate it. But to be fair to those on this forum who have been so good to me I will contact Ryan Avery. Thanks guys I really appreciate all the support.