New Stone Glacier bag, the Serac

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The Serac 1700 was designed from customer feedback and requests for a larger version of the SG Access bag with added organization options, features, and carry options. While similar in size to the Approach, the Serac has a very different set of features and access including easy attachment to our larger bags.
Below is a description from our website along with the link for specs and more photos. Thanks to all that gave their input and suggestions, very appreciated. Feel free to contact us if there are any specific questions we can help with.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/hunting-packs/serac-1700

Description from our website:

“The Serac 1700 is a modular bag that can be used as a stand alone bag with the KRuX frame or attached to any of the Stone Glacier Sky or Solo packs. A 29” center zip give full access to the Serac with 4 attachment points for Camp pockets and Swing Out pockets. Two ice axe loops and dual adjust center buckles allow easy attachment of tools and/or trekking poles. A small tripod pocket is integrated into the right-front panel for two legs of a tripod. The Serac has one vertical internal pocket for spotting scope, camera gear, or water bottle along with hydration loops and hydration port for water bladders.
When used stand alone, the Serac is quickly loosened from the frame to add another 2700 plus cubic inches in the load shelf. Add the SG Load Cell dry bag and the platform becomes a 4100 cubic pack at just 3.74 lbs.”

Price: $159 (bag only)
Wt. – 3.47 lbs w/Krux frame

[email protected] / [email protected]

Serac-Left-Turn.jpg

Serac-Straight-On-Tripod.jpg

Serac-Full-Load-Shelf.jpg
With load cell

Serac-On-5100-Profile.jpg
Attached to Sky 5100

muleman

WKR
Kurt, Looks nice like all your gear. I have the Approach and it is one of my all time favorite bags. How is the Serac different enough from the Approach to justify it it? For a day to day and half hunt, with a meat pack out I don't think you can beat the Approach. Having used the Approach a lot, I'm biased and wondering what others wanted that the Approach didn't offer.

OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Muleman,
The Approach and Serac are very similar in size, and work virtually identical when packing meat/gear in the load shelf. The primary differences are the center zip access, 2 more attachment points for Swing Out pockets, ice axe loops, and dual adjust front compression straps for attachment of ice tools or a bow. The Approach is bit more of a hunting specific pack with the spotting scope pocket and zipper configuration. The Serac offers more options for the alpine climber and/or attaching to one of our larger bags. We had an enormous amount of requests for this bag, which played a huge role in it's development.
Great to hear that you are enjoying your Approach pack!
Best,
Kurt

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
1700 is the perfect size for day hunting gear... Then you throw camp in a dry bag and put it on the load shelf. Perfect day pack and a great, versatile 3-5 day bivy pack! Great work Kurt!

I really like the new bag option! Thank you- I think this bag will make the perfect day pack.

muleman

WKR
Thanks for the details Kurt.

Of the three SG bags I have, the Approach by far has packed the most game out. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where I can do a lot of day or two day and one night hunts and scouting. The Approach is nearly perfect for me. It has worked well for me as an alpine bag too. When not packing a scope I put my jacket or rain gear in the spotting scope pocket, but I can see someone not wanting a dedicated spotting scope pocket.

I spoke to Pete at SG yesterday and he said a new bag that was like the Access but x2 just came in. He hadn't even opened the box. Is this the bag?

OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Muleman - Thanks for the feedback, appreciate hearing that our products are working well in the field.

Mtnwhunter - The Serac is 20.5" tall

Freebird134 - Yes, the Serac is the bag that Pete was referencing when you spoke to him.

deadwolf

WKR
yup, I'm gonna have to have on to go along with my new Sky 7400! Nice details Kurt, well thought out. Can I attach the Sky lid to the Serac?

OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Deadwolf, the Serac has two loops at the top of the bag to attach the quick-detach buckles of the Sky lid. When the bag is separated from the frame and using the load shelf, you can use the top compression straps from the frame for the backside of the lid, then the lid front straps with quick detach will connect to the two loops at the top of the bag I am referencing. So the short answer is yes, it can be attached, but the lid functions best when the Serac is separated and using the load shelf. The lid will then cover the dry bag or gear in the load shelf to the top of the Serac. We will try to get some photos added that show this option, thanks for suggestion.

deadwolf

WKR
Kurt, that's great, more cubic inches available just in case! Would love to throw the lid in the bag and use it if necessary. Looks like I'll be in for another bag here soon : )

Matt

josef

FNG
Received my Serac last week. I havent been able to get out and use it yet but it appears to be just what I was looking for. Quick access pack for on the way into camp then a good size for a day pack while hunting out of camp.

I used to use a badlands monster hip pack for similar situations but ended up shooting a deer about 5 miles from camp one day. I made up my mind that day that I wouldnt hunt that far away from camp ever again without a pack that could pack meat.

I will check back in when I get some use out of the pack.

gmajor

WKR
Pretty slick. This on the minimalist would even make for a sweet setup...

josef

FNG
Anyone have a picture of this pack on them? Also can you fit two deer quarters in the load shelf?

I dont have a photo of it but from the looks of it you could definitely fit two quarters on the load panel. You could probably fit a whole deer if you boned it out.

ohoopee

WKR
Has anyone else picked up the Serac? Cant decide between this and the approach. It seems the Serac has more attachments for modular
internal components? I have put it in the "cart" twice in the last three days.

Last edited: