New Stone Glacier Sky Talus pack

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
One of the new products for Stone Glacier in 2016 is the Sky Talus 6900. The Sky Talus is designed for increased organization and gear access while maintaining the versatility and function of the Sky line of packs. Below is the description from our website along with our product video. Further specs and detail photos can be found on the Sky Talus page of our site (link is below.)
We have an anticipated arrival date of 2/25 and are taking pre-orders for this first production run of packs. Please feel free to contact us if there are any specific questions we can help with. Thank you to all those that have shared their feedback that has led to this design.

Kurt ~ [email protected] ~ 406-404-0641

http://www.stoneglacier.com/hunting-packs/sky-talus-6900

[video=youtube_share;gsMhKbsdYe0]http://youtu.be/gsMhKbsdYe0[/video]

The Sky Talus 6900 is a full feature pack designed to blend light weight with increased access and organization. A 6400 cubic main bag with 500 cubic lid, the Sky Talus has 4 external side pockets. The two large side pockets have full length, heavy duty #10 zippers with dual sliders for quick access to spotting scope and items needed quickly on the trail. Each side pocket is offset away from the frame to allow tripod or rifle carry without inhibiting pocket function or access. The lower external side pockets are open-top for carrying water bottle, tripod, or other gear on the side of the pack. The Sky Talus has 4 Swing Out pocket attachments just under the 33” full length main bag zipper, there are also attachment points for camp 2 pockets on the back interior panel. The Sky Talus can be converted to a 4000 cubic inch day/bivy pack and is load shelf compatible to add another 2500 plus cubic inches for dense loads. From day hikes using minimal volume to extended trips using 8000 cubic plus with load shelf, the Sky Talus will deliver added organization and function while being easily convertible in the field to fit pack volume needed that day.

-6900 mode weight – 4.92 Lbs without load shelf, 5.05 Lbs with load shelf (3 pc belt)
- 4000 Bivy mode weight – 4.68 Lbs (3 pc belt)
-Price: $319 bag and lid only, $654 complete with Krux frame

Last edited by a moderator:

slick

WKR
Kurt- are there any plans to introduce a bag with a Solo horseshoe zipper with the ability to go into Sky mode?

Again you're always pushing the bar. Great looking pack. Glad to see you've extended the zipper.

Weekender

WKR
Kurt- are there any plans to introduce a bag with a Solo horseshoe zipper with the ability to go into Sky mode?

Again you're always pushing the bar. Great looking pack. Glad to see you've extended the zipper.

I've also thought this would be a good combo.

As usual a very well thought out pack. You guys make the best looking packs for sure.

Great looking pack. Definitely will appeal to guys looking for more built-in options for organization rather than a bunch of nylon stuff sacks (my chosen route). Of course there will be a weight penalty but 5 lbs isn't bad at all. The horseshoe zipper is one of the best parts of my Solo.

maybe this isnt the right venue, but hoping to have your attention a little bit kurt.
why always the tiny side pockets as opposed to regular pocket that can hold a water bottle?
a sky archer with regualr bottle pockets on the side would be hard to beat IMO. especially if it was a 7200ci.

tttoadman

WKR
Perhaps I missed something. When you strapped it down in bivy mode, you used the straps that were connected to the lid. How do you attach the lid in compressed bivy mode?

OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks to all for the feedback.

~Slick and Weekender, we don't have any immediate plans for a larger pack with the panel zipper like the Solo, but that is a fine idea and I can certainly see the advantages on a larger pack...will add that to my notes.

~Fillthefreezer , the side pockets on the Sky Archer were primarily for gear carry like an arrow tube or trekking poles, especially smaller left one on the zipper side specifically for the feet of the tripod. On the Sky Talus, both pockets are approximately 1.5" taller than the larger right pocket on the Archer. The Talus pockets are approximately 7" tall on the frame side and 4" deep, the pocket slopes up with the curve of the bottom of the bag. This slope helps keep items like a water bottle toward the frame and more accessible. I found if the pocket was any taller it was tough to access the water bottle and pull it up free of pocket top with the pack on. I appreciate your input on the packs, I wish I had a 7200 cubic Sky Archer with side pockets to send you:)

~Ttoadman, all of the Sky bags including the Sky Talus will function in the smaller compressed mode with or without a lid. What we call bivy or day mode is just a name we gave to the compressed mode without a lid. This is because without a lid you will want to connect the storm flap to the webbing straps that originally went to the lid for a top weather closure. This is because the lid no longer covers the top of the bag. If you want to leave the lid on, you would just attach the center 3/4" buckle like on the video and tighten down the two angled side straps, the lid is weather closure to the top of the bag so no need for the storm flap. The bivy mode will function anywhere between compressed mode and full volume as the center 3/4" strap is adjustable in length as are the two side angled compression straps. This is true with a lid, or without a lid, it doesn't have to be either/or. In actuality, you can adjust the compressed or bivy mode to fit whatever volume you need as it is completely adjustable in length.

Thanks again,
Kurt

Kurt, It sounds like you may have more new products coming? When can we expect to hear about them?
By the way - I had an idea similar to slick and weekender - to make the two front seams on a sky bag zippers, so you could spread the top open for better access, if that makes sense. Thanks!

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
That's one sweet ass pack!! It's a bit of a pain having to move stuff around to get your spotter back in the sky 7400 after glassing, especially when you just need to have a quick look at something (whine whine I know). The pockets on the Talus are perfect.

OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Goathunter ~ We will have a couple accessories coming online in the next few weeks. We also have many other products in development that we don't have a specific release date for yet. As I know it is months from hunting season, this will be our large pack line up for the year. I don't want guys to be hesitant purchase gear early for fear of it being outdated by the fall season. All other products we have for this year will be compatible with every pack we have produced. I will be sure to post updates here on Rokslide as soon as we have dates and specs in hand. Feel free to email me if you would like to talk more about your idea for a design, thanks for the input.
Kurt
[email protected]

Goathunter ~ We will have a couple accessories coming online in the next few weeks. We also have many other products in development that we don't have a specific release date for yet. As I know it is months from hunting season, this will be our large pack line up for the year. I don't want guys to be hesitant purchase gear early for fear of it being outdated by the fall season. All other products we have for this year will be compatible with every pack we have produced. I will be sure to post updates here on Rokslide as soon as we have dates and specs in hand. Feel free to email me if you would like to talk more about your idea for a design, thanks for the input.
Kurt
[email protected]

Great Thanks! That's what I wanted to know.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I sold my Skyarcher because of the small side pockets. I like a pocket deep enough to fit "and keep" a Nalgene bottle in. And even with a lot of movement a tripod or trekking poles could have slipped out of those tiny pockets. 7" sounds more like it. As it is now, I use a spotter pocket to hold my Nalgene and my Jetboil.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, I sold my Skyarcher because of the small side pockets. I like a pocket deep enough to fit "and keep" a Nalgene bottle in. And even with a lot of movement a tripod or trekking poles could have slipped out of those tiny pockets. 7" sounds more like it. As it is now, I use a spotter pocket to hold my Nalgene and my Jetboil.

Did you try the Hydro Holster?
http://www.stoneglacier.com/accessories/hydro-holster
Its worked well for me.

Saw this somewhere on here a few weeks ago. It also looks interesting....
https://store.itstactical.com/its-skeletonized-bottle-holders.html