New strings with a draw weight drop

I recently had my Gas strings/cables on my 4 year old 70lb Hoyt power max replaced with a new set. When the shop called to say it was ready he could only get 66.5lbs out of it. He said he had to add a bunch of twists to the cables to get everything timed up correctly. Is this a normal amount of poundage drop after a few years or did they not install the new strings/cables correctly? I actually haven't checked the poundage in a while so I don't have anything to compare to since replacing the strings 2 years ago.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
my brother had the same issue on his pse I gave him. Shop gave it back and said "all she got".

Came to visit me and it was fixable at our local shop. Seems to be shop error in my opinion. May be as simple as some limb bolt turns.

Was it the same replacement strings? Know the material?

I would consider 3.5# low abnormal. If the string/cable set was built and installed properly, you should be able to get a full 70#. Some things I would recommend:
  • Make sure both limb bolts are fully tightened.
  • Measure axle-to-axle length and brace height (with both limb bolts fully tightened). If the root cause of your low draw weight is the cables being too long, ATA should measure long and BH should measure short. See here for specs: https://hoyt.com/tune-charts/powermax
  • Confirm with the shop which string/cable set they ordered. There are at least 3 different Powermax sets based on the cam/sub-model of your particular bow.
  • Inspect the limbs for any signs of cracking.

The easiest way to check if the strings and cables are in spec, as mentioned above, is to measure axle-to-axle and brace. Make sure those are within 1/32 and the cams are timed, then check draw weight.

OP
Adultonsethunter
I ordered the strings from GAS in the exact length as I did the first time and brought them to the shop. I did not check length as I would hope a reputable company like gas would get the length correct. I had no issues with the first set so I went with them again. I just checked the brace height and ATA, perfectly in spec. Limb bolts are completely tightened and no signs of cracking. Checked the string order many time to ensure I got the lengths correct and that is also good. Stuff like this makes me want to learn to work on my own bow. I had to wait 2 weeks to get my bow back and payed way more than the last time I got strings/cables replaced.

If everything is in spec, then it isn't the fault of the strings and cables.
I'm not that familiar with composite fatigue properties, but your limbs may be getting tired.
Definitely get a press and learn to do your own work. Being able to solve these issues in minutes rather than weeks is well worth the effort.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I ordered the strings from GAS in the exact length as I did the first time and brought them to the shop. I did not check length as I would hope a reputable company like gas would get the length correct. I had no issues with the first set so I went with them again. I just checked the brace height and ATA, perfectly in spec. Limb bolts are completely tightened and no signs of cracking. Checked the string order many time to ensure I got the lengths correct and that is also good. Stuff like this makes me want to learn to work on my own bow. I had to wait 2 weeks to get my bow back and payed way more than the last time I got strings/cables replaced.
Try measuring draw weight again on a different scale.

OP
Adultonsethunter
Try measuring draw weight again on a different scale.
unfortunately I don't have one. closest bow shop is 30+ minutes away. Ive shot it a few times and it does seem like my 20 is at least a yard off. I will go out to the range this weekend and check longer marks to see if it's off.

Chuckybmd

WKR
If everything is in spec, then it isn't the fault of the strings and cables.
I'm not that familiar with composite fatigue properties, but your limbs may be getting tired.
Definitely get a press and learn to do your own work. Being able to solve these issues in minutes rather than weeks is well worth the effort.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I was thinking this as well. It would make sense if the boat was used at the top, and if it’s dry weight, it could lose some spring.

If the bow is still in tune and shooting well, I would consider the draw weight to be negligible.

I believe the power max comes with a range for its draw weight. #60-70 pounds. In other words, I think the boat is still shooting in spec and that is within the specified range.

I’m curious if that’s what the draw weight was before it was taken in.

Anyone noticed a gradual sag in their draw weight over an extended period of time/use?

Rob5589

WKR
Measure the ATA first. I'd bet it's off so either the strings are off or the tech didn't get it set up correctly.

Sidenote: Perfect time to start learning to do your own bow maintenance and tuning.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I replaced the strings on my V3X with Threadz, using the same scale I lost 5 lbs in draw weight, added some twist to the cables and string, still 3 pounds lighter. I can practice more at 67 pounds, then 72 anyway, so still have the limb bolts backed out one turn. But, it does make me wonder.

An Easy Green press is money well spent.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Always mark your cams and take measurements and record everything once you get a bow set up and tuned. Then you know when strings stretch or break a strand or two inside or something is off. You'll also know where everything needs to be at when you replace the strings to get back to where it was when it was tuned. It may still need a tweak or two to tune, but you'll be pretty close to start with.

Marble

WKR
unfortunately I don't have one. closest bow shop is 30+ minutes away. Ive shot it a few times and it does seem like my 20 is at least a yard off. I will go out to the range this weekend and check longer marks to see if it's off.
It's pretty normal for your Zero to change after a string install. Get 20 dialed in and then shoot some distance. Since you don't know your prior draw weight for sure, it's kind of hard to really be sure what the issue is.

If the draw weight has changed from a standard of 70 (most hoyt bow usually draw 71-73) in my experience) to 66.5, that's not right.

But the 3.5 pounds isn't much either. 66.5 is plenty to do what you need to. But I understand if it bothers you cause it would bother me.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Get your 20 yard pin right and then check your marks at distance. It should be no surprise if you need to re-sight your 20 yard pin (in fact I would be really surprised if you didn’t).

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Weird that axle to axle and brace height are spot on, but poundage is not at 70 or a bit more.
My first suspect in that scenario is that the shop's scale is off a bit.
As far as your 20 yard pin being off, too much other things were changed to judge off of that. D-loop location, rest height, and peep height will all effect your previous zero from the old setup to the new setup.

OP
Adultonsethunter
Weird that axle to axle and brace height are spot on, but poundage is not at 70 or a bit more.
My first suspect in that scenario is that the shop's scale is off a bit.
As far as your 20 yard pin being off, too much other things were changed to judge off of that. D-loop location, rest height, and peep height will all effect your previous zero from the old setup to the new setup.
great point on the d loop and peep. didn't factor in my brain at all.