new to elk hunting

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, me and a buddy are planning a archery elk hunt september 2021, i have a bear atttitude (bow) and will be pulling 60+ pounds draw weight by then. i would not hesitate to shoot a whitetail with this but do you think that is enough for an elk? thanks for any help!

cmenard01

FNG
I started elk hunting about 2 years ago and was asking the same questions. Though I still love to white tail hunt, elk is the real adventure.

For your bow. Make sure you have decent arrows with a heavier weight than what you may be using for white tail. I went to a local pro (not cabela's or bp) and he set me up and tuned my bow. Mine is about 75 IB. 60 may be on the lighter side so as long as your confident with shot placement with a decent arrow you should be ok. There is little forgiveness with elk. A bad shot and there gone. Good luck with your trip.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
i was gonna take it to a pro and see what they had to say and get a speed reading on my bow as of currently, hopefully i will exceed 60 by the trip for extra power to break bones as i’ve heard is important , thanks for the help !!

Rob5589

WKR
A well tuned arrow, of 450-500 grains, with a wicked sharp broadhead, will plow through an elk no problem.

Mikido

WKR
I only once broke though the scapula on a small doe with a weak broadhead. Anyone have an experience with elk in this regard?

It is plenty keep it in the lungs and your golden🤙
Exactly. 60 pounds can kill an elk for sure. It goes without saying that you have to take good shots only. You can’t be tempted just because you’re a new elk hunter and you worked so hard to get that close without going for it.

You have to be comfortable so whatever is good is good. Don’t add a few pounds beyond your limit because you’re worried about penetration.

I would suggest taking the time to tune your bow to shoot a quality cut on contact broadhead out to your max range. Good luck!

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, me and a buddy are planning a archery elk hunt september 2021, i have a bear atttitude (bow) and will be pulling 60+ pounds draw weight by then. i would not hesitate to shoot a whitetail with this but do you think that is enough for an elk? thanks for any help!
Where in the Midwest are you from?

I only once broke though the scapula on a small doe with a weak broadhead. Anyone have an experience with elk in this regard?
I have hit an elk in the scapula and it went in about 4" and fell out. I'm no expert on anything archery related, but I know this is an issue for a lot of hunters. Not sure if someone else has some ideas, but I don't know of an arrow and draw weight that will blast through the scapula.

Oh and this has nothing to do with archery, but start right now getting in shape if you haven't already. Cardio is great, but I think HIIT bodyweight workouts are the best for dropping a few pounds and getting your cardio/vascular system in shape as well as getting your muscles used to the suck. Anyway, that's my rant for all midwesterners coming to the mountains (don't worry, I've been there and experienced the suck too).

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice, i gotta get in shape to hopefully haul out some meat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60lbs is plenty to kill elk, resist the urge to crank up your bow just because you're planning an elk hunt. I see too many guys at the range struggling with their bow under perfect conditions - if drawing at the range in a tshirt in August is tough, how are you gonna do it smoothly in September when there's an elk staring you down and you haven't moved for 10 minutes? I want a draw weight where I can keep my bow steady and draw straight back in one smooth motion without moving anything.

My wife kills elk with 50lbs and a short draw. Most elk trad/recurve guys shoot 50-60. Get a quality fixed-blade broadhead, use an arrow shaft that leans to the heavier side, and take high-percentage shots at known distances where you're rock solid. Most elk wounds and misses I hear about are due to "guessed 40 yards, turns out it was 55" - use your rangefinder, don't make a hail mary in the heat of the moment.

Oh yeah, and don't hit the scapula.

I had some of the same concerns with my bow maxing out at 61 lbs and seeing forums where so many people are drawing 70+. I shot a bull from 40 yards and had half the arrow sticking out the other side. I think it's important to be comfortable with your draw when your adrenaline is high, and like others have stated, shot placement is key.

However, I did spend a lot of time researching arrow weight and FOC (front of center). There has been a lot of research on arrow weight and I believe it was helpful to have my arrow up in the area of 475-500 grams. Dig through the archery forum on this topic.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
60lbs is plenty to kill elk, resist the urge to crank up your bow just because you're planning an elk hunt. I see too many guys at the range struggling with their bow under perfect conditions - if drawing at the range in a tshirt in August is tough, how are you gonna do it smoothly in September when there's an elk staring you down and you haven't moved for 10 minutes? I want a draw weight where I can keep my bow steady and draw straight back in one smooth motion without moving anything.

My wife kills elk with 50lbs and a short draw. Most elk trad/recurve guys shoot 50-60. Get a quality fixed-blade broadhead, use an arrow shaft that leans to the heavier side, and take high-percentage shots at known distances where you're rock solid. Most elk wounds and misses I hear about are due to "guessed 40 yards, turns out it was 55" - use your rangefinder, don't make a hail mary in the heat of the moment.

Oh yeah, and don't hit the scapula.

thanks! this was helpful. i’m just planning to shoot and crank it down to comfort through the spring and summer and go with that. Are elk shoulders basically impossible to penetrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk