New to Mountain Hunting, New to Rokslide, Lifelong Hunter and Fisher from Alaska

bergnp

FNG
Hey everyone, just stopping by to say hello. I'm new to the mountain hunting game and I've been getting quite a bit of help from Luke Moffat (who is a personal friend) and other hardcore Alaskan mountain hunters I know on gear opinions.

I just pulled the trigger today on a Kifaru Duplex with EMR2, Guide toplid, a gun bearer, and two belt pockets. All in highlander, save the gun bearer. I also ordered 2 MLD tarps and one innernet. I've added Lowa Hunter GTX to my kit, and a Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65. I'm putting together a long range Tikka T3 Lite SS 300 WSM with a 6-24 power Vortex Viper PST 50 mm reticle objective. I also ordered an Enlightened Equipment Quilt and Xtherm Pad. Oh, and full Kuiu sets of raingear (Yukon stuff) and firstlite base layers.

I've already got lots of hunting gear, but I'm excited to get out and try all this stuff soon. Most of it will be in the mailbox when I get home from this two week hitch of work in the oilfield. Anyways, just stopping by to say I have acquired the illness and I look forward to conversing with all of you on different aspects of the mountain hunting game.

Welcome to rokslide. I would venture to say your pretty damn lucky to have Luke to bounce questions/ ideas off of. Looking forward to some write up of your up coming adventures.

Welcome to rokslide. I would venture to say your pretty damn lucky to have Luke to bounce questions/ ideas off of. Looking forward to some write up of your up coming adventures.

Thanks man! And yes, I am very fortunate to be friends with Luke and his entire family. They are wonderful people and are a wealth of knowledge about hunting and surviving in the wild.

I can smell all that new gear through the internet! Smells good!
Enjoy man. Always remember your head when going out though. It's your most important tool.

What tags did you apply for this year?

Welcome to Rokslide Nick, and congrats on all the new gear! Being buddies with Luke can be hazardous to your bank account ;) Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Welcome to Rokslide Nick, and congrats on all the new gear! Being buddies with Luke can be hazardous to your bank account ;) Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

It certainly can be hazardous Becca! But it's nothing compared to the wife I used to have.

I can smell all that new gear through the internet! Smells good!
Enjoy man. Always remember your head when going out though. It's your most important tool.

What tags did you apply for this year?

I applied for all the low percentage ones haha. But I have some walkin harvest tag ideas too ;)

Hey everyone, just stopping by to say hello. I'm new to the mountain hunting game and I've been getting quite a bit of help from Luke Moffat (who is a personal friend) and other hardcore Alaskan mountain hunters I know on gear opinions.

I just pulled the trigger today on a Kifaru Duplex with EMR2, Guide toplid, a gun bearer, and two belt pockets. All in highlander, save the gun bearer. I also ordered 2 MLD tarps and one innernet. I've added Lowa Hunter GTX to my kit, and a Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65. I'm putting together a long range Tikka T3 Lite SS 300 WSM with a 6-24 power Vortex Viper PST 50 mm reticle objective. I also ordered an Enlightened Equipment Quilt and Xtherm Pad. Oh, and full Kuiu sets of raingear (Yukon stuff) and firstlite base layers.

I've already got lots of hunting gear, but I'm excited to get out and try all this stuff soon. Most of it will be in the mailbox when I get home from this two week hitch of work in the oilfield. Anyways, just stopping by to say I have acquired the illness and I look forward to conversing with all of you on different aspects of the mountain hunting game.

How many seasons and thousands of dollars would it take a guy to sort that many gear decisions and narrow it down to what works without the input of good folks like the Moffats and others here?!

Back