New to muzzleloaders

Dunndm

WKR
I haven’t posted for a long while, and can’t find the info I need online anywhere else.

I recently pulled out my muzzleloader that I impulse bought a while ago and found everything I bought with it. I’m not sure how much black powder I’m supposed to use with it. I have blackthorn 209 powder and have 209A caps for as well. I also found SST bullets. I have the CVA optima V2. If anyone can please help me out l, I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
Try 90 grains of powder by volume for a starter. Do you have the black horn 209 breech plug or just the original? I think your muzzleloader can use up to 125 or 150 grains by volume as a maximum. Probably should read the owner manual. Most people like to use magnum 209 primers with bh209.

Good luck, muzzleloading rifles are fun!

Vandal 44

WKR
I was in the same boat. I purchased a muzzleloader about three years ago. I shot it for the first time this last weekend.

I started with 90 grains of powder and using a 385 grain slug and it worked perfectly.

I would start with 90 grains

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Try 90 grains of powder by volume for a starter. Do you have the black horn 209 breech plug or just the original? I think your muzzleloader can use up to 125 or 150 grains by volume as a maximum. Probably should read the owner manual. Most people like to use magnum 209 primers with bh209.

Good luck, muzzleloading rifles are fun!

I just have the original plug. I did go in the Manual and the max is 150, but I don’t really wanna load it with that. I’m just playing around with it more for fun and maybe get into deer with it at some point. I already have 1000 of the caps I bought. Idk if I read that they were good or what when I was doing research but I guess bulk buying them was smart when I did it haha

WCB

WKR
I have a TC so not the same gun but I agree with above...start somewhere right around 90grains by volume. That is the load I am shooting with either 350 Federal Bore Locs or 270gr Federal Fusion Sabots and both shoot lights out.

CorbLand

WKR
You will need the blackhorn 209 plug for your CVA. You will get hang fires with the original plug if you try Blackhorn.

The Federal 209A primers will work and are recommended by Blackhorn along with the CCI 209M.

I have the same gun. Mine likes 100 grains by volume of Blackhorn, 300 grain SST and CCI 209M. Shoots great out to 300 yards. Buy a couple different bullets and give them all a try starting at 90 grains up to 120. Should be able to find something it likes in those ranges.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
You will need the blackhorn 209 plug for your CVA. You will get hang fires with the original plug if you try Blackhorn.

The Federal 209A primers will work and are recommended by Blackhorn along with the CCI 209M.

I have the same gun. Mine likes 100 grains by volume of Blackhorn, 300 grain SST and CCI 209M. Shoots great out to 300 yards. Buy a couple different bullets and give them all a try starting at 90 grains up to 120. Should be able to find something it likes in those ranges.

Thank you very much to you, and everyone. Going out this weekend to shoot around (been years since I’ve been able to shoot or hunt) so I wanted to bring my muzzle loader out. Been sitting in my safe for a long time and I’ve always itched to shoot it.

WKR
I'll be odd man out and say start around 70 grains and work up. Much more pleasant when getting the hang of things. Good luck and hope you love it.

westernwa

FNG

Is there more than one style of plug for the Blackhorn 209? My CVA Accura came with 2. The owners manual refers to one as being for the blackhorn powder but looks slightly different than the link you posted?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
I just have the original plug. I did go in the Manual and the max is 150
Yes but not for BH209. Westerns max load data is 120gr by volume and CVA refers you to the manufactures load recommendations. Which is rather silly because Hodgdon does NOT recommend over 100gr of any of their powders yet CVA says its ok.

Frankly they do poor job of taking responsibility for what is actually safe load data and what is not. The online manual is still a universal from 2015. I must be missing the update to clarify the BH209 max load.