New Trijicon Tenmile FFP Reticle Released

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Trijicon announced on Jan 3rd, 2024

No, it's not the model nor the angular measurement that many want. BUT, it is the first FFP reticle in Trijicon's riflescope lineup WITHOUT a tree (not counting LPVOs). Big step in the right direction, and I'd expect to see the other models follow suit.

My 10 second review you are free to disagree with

Things to like:
No tree😄
Floating dot
Illuminated Center Dot
Thick outer stadia

Not to like:
MOA (booo)
5-25x50 model only for now
The thicker outside stadia should extend to the edge of FOV at low power (horizontal stadia stretches for 40% of the scope's FOV)
Outside stadia should be thicker
It has fine-windage stadia for 160mph winds with a 6.5creed at 300 yards (Nobody does this)
It has fine-elevation stadia to hold for 1200 yards (Nobody does this)

Holding out hope that Trijicon will do reticle swaps if/when they get the MRAD version out. Keep sending those notes to the customer service if you want to see change

Macintosh

WKR
Obviously have not looked through it, but checking out the diagram--the outer stadia is 2moa (which is .6mil) and the fine line is .125moa with a lot of hashes (which will make it look a little thicker than it is at lower magnifications). To me, that makes the outer stadia pretty fine, but that fine line is really thin, .125moa is approximately .035 mils, which is too fine for my taste. The reticles that seem to widely viewed as being good hunting reticles that allow easy use at lowest magnification are about 1mil (3.4moa) outer stadia with .06-.08mil (.25-.27moa) fine inner crosshair.

This looks better from the perspective of not having a tree, so maybe the illumination will be more useable becasue of that (I find the iluminated tree on the tenmiles draws my eye like a dot at lowest mag, and therefore I end up instinctively aiming 8 or 10mils too high). but it looks AWWFULLY thin to be a decent hunting reticle unless you plan to use illumination. May make sense on a huge scope like that, but would hope they make it more hunter-friendly on the 3-18 version.

ljalberta

WKR
Some progress at least. Let's hope the Maven Rs 1.2 will eat into their sales enough that they come out with a proper hunting reticle.

SDHNTR

WKR
It sucks when manufacturers stop just short of making the right improvements.

OP
S

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Barring the change in illumination, it will take up exactly the same amount of space as the 3-18 Tenmile's reticle at low power

However, on this 5-25 reticle, the fine stadia is thinner, and a smaller portion of the reticle is made up with THICK stadia.

Really don't understand why they made the thick stadia only 2MOA, and why they don't stretch it across more of the FOV at lower power.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How is this some step in the “right direction”?

It’s exactly the same thin, poorly designed for low power use reticle as before.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
These two now exist in FFP that did not exist prior:

Ok. Thats not what I would consider a big step. Those are not the main issues with Trijicon reticles.

I suppose my point is, I would not take the reticle as any indication that Trijicon will be correcting the major deficiencies of their FFP Mil and MOA reticles for hunting.

OP
S

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree, not perfect by any means, esp at low power

My dislike toward trees surpasses my dislike about the reticle's visibility a little. But I realize I'm in the minority on that one.

DaleW

WKR
I've got one of these on order for an upcoming 300 Norma build. I can post pics of the reticle at various magnifications when I get it.